PDA

View Full Version : When does the sun come up?

thearabianmage
May 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM
When does the sun rise where you live? In the summer here, the sun can rise at about 3:30AM after having set at about 10:30PM. Right now it's 4:17 and the sun is just starting to come over the hills. And the birds have started singing, too. I can't remember the last time I went to sleep and the bloody birds weren't singing. Bloody morning chorus. All at once.

player
May 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM
well in the mid -west here in the states it starts getting light around 5:30 -6am and is still spring.like the brit tone you give.reminds me of days gone by when I had an Aussie and a Brit in my band.when they went at it no one could understand them.we did learn though sometimes they were hilarious.sorry a bit off topic .stopping now:thwap:

Spudman
May 21st, 2008, 10:54 PM
I guess I don't have a clue. I'm never awake that early or late depending on your perspective.

thearabianmage
May 22nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
when the [Englishman and Australian] went at it no one could understand them. . .

Haha! I can imagine! Even though I've adjusted to understanding and recognizing most of the accents/dialects of English (there are loads), I remember what it was like when I first moved here. Bloody difficult. I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying unless they spoke slowly - which the English generally don't.

Bloozcat
May 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
May 22, 2008

6:29 am sunrise...

8:06 pm sunset...

Given our more southerly lattitude, we have fewer hous of daylight at this time of year than those in the more northern lattitudes.

Bloozcat
May 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Haha! I can imagine! Even though I've adjusted to understanding and recognizing most of the accents/dialects of English (there are loads), I remember what it was like when I first moved here. Bloody difficult. I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying unless they spoke slowly - which the English generally don't.

Favorite joke about the common language that seperates us:

An American gentleman was checking into a London hotel one day. After completing the necessary paperwork, the desk clerk handed the man his room key and said to him:

"The lift is just down the hallway, sir", as she pointed in the general direction.

"The lift?" the man said as he looked in the direction the woman was pointing.

"Oh, you mean the elevator", the man said challengingly.

"No sir, I mean the lift. It's just down the hallway".

"Well, we invented it and it's called an elevator", the man retorted.

"Yes sir, but we invented the language..."

pes_laul
May 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
6:45 in the morning for it to rise

9:00 at night for it to go down

thearabianmage
May 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
"Yes sir, but we invented the language..."

This sentence makes me cringe. You don't know how many times people here have felt the need to 'remind' me of this 'fact'. Despite the fact that the English didn't invent the English language, it just happened to be in England that all the pieces came together.

Brief history:

Before William the Conqueror conquered England in 1066, the 3 common languages on the British Isles were Latin, Welsh, and Celtic. Once the Norwegians invaded, they opened England up to the rest of Europe as a hotspot for cultural diversity (much like America today). This is how modern English came to be, even though the earliest written records of the English we all know and speak didn't actually come about until somewhere around the 14th or 15th century.

Even then it was almost a completely different language. But of all the languages, English is the worst to learn, one of the most expressive to use, the most 'universal' language so far (words are taken from just about every language on the planet), and also has the most interesting history.

Too bad it's known as the 'Language of Hate.' There are significantly more ways to insult someone in English than there are to complement them. . . Kinda makes you proud, huh?

marnold
May 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
About 5:30 A.M. and 8:30 P.M. here. Too early on both counts.

WRT languages: I've studied English, Latin, German, Greek, and Hebrew. You can always tell a lot about a people by their language. An "eastern" language like Hebrew is way different (and not just because of the alphabet and the right-to-left writing) than a "western"/Romance language.

Latin is a great foreign language to start with first. You learn about how most Western languages work. From there, it's a short trip to Spanish, Portuguese, etc. My favorite thing about German is that the rules are hard and fast. No goofy capitalization or pronunciation rules.

My gripe with English is that it is a mutt, taking a lot of things from a lot of different languages. I'm glad it's my first language because it must be a bear to pick up. We can thank the French for almost all the weird spelling and/or pronunciation. When you can type the word "ghoti" and pronounce it "fish" according to different pronunciation rules in the language, something is seriously screwed up.

Brian Krashpad
May 23rd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Judging from when the birds have been waking me, it's a little after 6 a.m. that the sun's been rising here.

Robert
May 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Too bloody early, that's when. :mad:

player
May 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
This sentence makes me cringe. You don't know how many times people here have felt the need to 'remind' me of this 'fact'. Despite the fact that the English didn't invent the English language, it just happened to be in England that all the pieces came together.

Brief history:

Before William the Conqueror conquered England in 1066, the 3 common languages on the British Isles were Latin, Welsh, and Celtic. Once the Norwegians invaded, they opened England up to the rest of Europe as a hotspot for cultural diversity (much like America today). This is how modern English came to be, even though the earliest written records of the English we all know and speak didn't actually come about until somewhere around the 14th or 15th century.

Even then it was almost a completely different language. But of all the languages, English is the worst to learn, one of the most expressive to use, the most 'universal' language so far (words are taken from just about every language on the planet), and also has the most interesting history.

Too bad it's known as the 'Language of Hate.' There are significantly more ways to insult someone in English than there are to complement them. . . Kinda makes you proud, huh?

hardly proud..awful is more like it.wonder how and whose bright idea it was that came up with ebonics?now that's something I really loathe

thearabianmage
May 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
hardly proud..awful is more like it.wonder how and whose bright idea it was that came up with ebonics?now that's something I really loathe

Now, now, now. Ebonics came about just as 'naturally' as English did - in slow steps over a period of time. It's no different as part of the English language than the British accent is - they both represent a group of native English speakers.

If anything, one of the main 'bastardizations' taking place within the English language is the shorthand used to communicate over the internet, e-mails, and texts. That is done by everyone who speaks English, regardless of dialect.

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
I know it's in the morning and when the sun comes over the horizon. Outside of that, I don't have a clue. I could go to a weather website and tell you what it will do tomorrow.

Hold on I will be right back - there's beer in the frig

Okay, sorry for taking so long. I couldn't find it for tomorrow and I didn't want to keep you waiting anymore.

Today: Rise 5:59 AM and set at 8:45 PM (I don't know what that is in metric):D