PDA

View Full Version : Roger Linn Adrenalin III

kiteman
May 22nd, 2008, 05:33 AM
Whew! What a multi-fx pedal this is.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/

This site will describe the Adrenalin III better than I can. When I got mine I've spent hours exploring this device and that's just foolin' with the presets.

"Beat synced effects" is what got my attention. I've used my Digitech RP300 and my Korg Electribe (groove machine) for my guitar playing. Now the Adrenalin III replaced them all and much better at it.

It's on my desert island list. :)

wannabe guitarist
May 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
Roger has teamed up with any guy and produce a M-Audio black box which is better this pedal, and the price is not bad either. Have you seen the demo in this product

kiteman
May 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Roger has teamed up with any guy and produce a M-Audio black box which is better this pedal, and the price is not bad either. Have you seen the demo in this product

Is better than AD3? I don't think so mate. :)

thearabianmage
May 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
So how would you rate the AD3 with the MIDI controller compared with a PodXT Pro and Boss RC-50?

The videos on YouTube were interesting, just wondering how I could upgrade my arsenal.

kiteman
May 22nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
The black box has the advantage of having USB support, that much I can say.

I can't comment on comparisons because I don't know. I'm just a bedroom jammer so I just select a groove and jam. :)

The AD3 is friggin' awesome, that much I can say. :)

EDIT: that's without the midi controller.

thearabianmage
May 22nd, 2008, 09:24 AM
From the tinkerers point of view, what is its capabilities? The site says you can program the drums, but how limited is that? How many drum beats can you have? How many effects, and how are they?

kiteman
May 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
From the tinkerers point of view, what is its capabilities? The site says you can program the drums, but how limited is that? How many drum beats can you have? How many effects, and how are they?

It has 200 presets and 200 drumbeats and the beauty is that each preset has a drum assigned to it. You can play any preset with any drumbeat if you want and save it too. All the presets and the drumbeats are writable. No matter if you changed the presets or drums they will be in sync.

The unit is upgradable as it has socketed chips and while the case is plastic it's got some weight to it. My guess would be heatsinks. It's pretty sturdy but I wouldn't drop it. :)

As for writing the presets and the drums it is heavy. Didn't take much of the learning curve to fool around with but you can go deep. It has some sections that says, "you can leave this alone."

You get two manuals, user and list of presets and drums. Heavy manuals as they go deep into the stuff. I consider them excellent stuff. You also get a power supply too.

I played with it again this morning and as I go through the presets I made changes to some of them and learn in the process.

As before, I'm exhausted. What fun. :)

SuperSwede
May 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
I thought that the black box sounded pretty crappy...

The original Adrenalinn sounds really good though, and this one seems even better.

Lev
May 23rd, 2008, 01:36 AM
I checked out the videos and the reviews on harmony central and I'm very impressed. Kiteman, do you use it directly infront of the amp or in the FX loop or direct to a mixer?

I remember when I first heard John Mayers Bigger than my Body and thinking how the hell does he get that effect - well this is the pedal that does it.

The fact that Brad Paisley,John Mayer and Green Day use this unit is quite a good endorsement. I hadn't realised it does the whole ampmodelling thing too, now I'm GASing!!!

kiteman
May 23rd, 2008, 05:44 AM
I played mine in front. Roger recommends that you use a flat response monitor/amp so the amp models would sound more truer. They sounded good on my blues jr though.

kiteman
May 25th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Well, I fooled with it some more and I realized that I haven't even scratched 10% of its capabilities. Fooled around with the filters for a while and found 1000s of possible combinations of sounds. Can't describe 'em and if you heard the demos, you haven't heard the stuff I found.

This box's gonna keep me busy for quite a while. :)

kiteman
May 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Well, I bought a bass amp (fender rumble 25) so I can run the drums through it and have my guitar go to my blues jr. Then I had 'em in stereo.

Man, it's gonna keep me busy for quite a while. :)

emptysea
July 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
There's nothing quite like the AdrenaLinn series. My favorite thing about them is writing custom filter sequences using LFOs.

I do have an AdrenaLinn II for sale (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260259684129) right now if anyone is interested. It can be easily self-upgraded up to the AdrenaLinn III.

kiteman
October 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Well, this is a little dated but I want to add that I bought an USB to midi cable and also an editor program from soundtower for the PC.

That is excellent stuff and writing the presets and drums are a snap. A fellow member asked about the ease of writing drum loops and this is it. The editor makes everything so easy.

The cable I bought after reviewing a bunch is the E-MU Xmidi 1x1 USB midi interface. This cable works like a charm.