PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Delta Blues 210 or Crate V50 Series

Bordeaux
May 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Ok guys, I have narrowed my search down to 2 amps. These 2 are in my price range and both are in stock at my local Sam Ashe. The Peavey Delta ($380.00) is actually preowned but the previous owner actually works at Sam Ashe and I know the amp was well taken care of and just had new tubes installed (JJs I believe). The Crate V50 ($399.00) is brand new.

Both amps sound incredible and I am really leaning towards the Peavey Delta, the lead guitarist in my band is telling me it's a no brainer, get the Peavey. He thinks that Crates have a bad rep for craftsmanship and I would end up having problems with it 6 months down the road. Again, as far as tone ( the most important thing to me) they both sound amazing. The only reason I even hesitate about the Peavey is the fact that it's not brand new, its about 3 years old from what the previous owner told me. I know tube amps actually sound better the more they are played but I just don't seem to have very good luck.

My band plays mainly Classic and Southern Rock with a little blues sprinkled in as well and we do gig here and there but use a PA. I just wanted some input from you guys, anyone had a chance to play or own either of these amps? Any opinions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks again.

Bordeaux9196

Spudman
May 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
What model V series?

I love the Delta but feel the 15 inch model is more ideal because of the enhanced low end.

I also have a Crate Vintage Club amp and it is several steps above the Peavey in sound and there is no quality issue other than it is heavier than the Peavey but it is also bigger with one more speaker.

Stop over to The Fret Players (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)section and give us an introduction and welcome to thefret.

Bordeaux
May 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Spudman,

Thanks for the reply. It's the Crate V Series V50-112 50W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp.

The Peavey I'm looking at is the only one they have in my price range due to it being used. I have posted a link to the Crate in case you wanted to get the specs.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-V-Series-V50-112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-487054-i1322695.gc

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Bordeaux

Spudman
May 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
I have the Vintage Club 50 2x12. It's a better amp in my opinion. It's basically 2 amps in one whereas the Peavey is the same amp with a dirty and clean channel. The VC5212 has two channels but the clean sounds like a Bassman and the dirty sounds like a Marshall. It's also heavier and louder than the Peavey but if you are gigging you might enjoy the extra clean headroom and versatility over the Peavey.

TS808
May 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
The new Crate series amps are pretty new (manufactured in Vietnam now) and I don't know much about them, but I've owned other Crates (A Palomino) and also had a Vintage club 212 back in the mid 90's. I've also owned Peavey amps (Classic 30 and Bravo 112) and really liked those too. I don't think you can go wrong with either. It's just a matter of preference...the Peavey has EL84 tubes and I believe the Crate is 6L6 tubes for the 50 watt.

Base the decision on which sounds better to you or suits your playing style better. Both are reputable manufacturers.

Bordeaux
May 23rd, 2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the reply guys! I'm still on the fence on what I'm gonna do. Yesterday I had decided on the Peavey, I waked up this morning and I'm having second thoughts:thwap:

I'm gonna go to the music store and play both again and see if I can finally decide. I guess this is a good predicament to be in, right?

My fellow guitarist in my band keeps pushing for me to get the Peavey, as we do play alot of Classic Rock and some blues so this would be the best bet but I also like to play metal and thrash. I guess with effects pedals it really doesn't matter as you can pretty much get any sound you need.

bigoldron
May 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Look at the warranty. Is the Peavey still covered? The Crate, being new, will definitely be covered. I've owned 3 different Crate amps, no tubes however, and I've been happy with them. Can't help you with the Peavey, though.

So to make a convoluted answer even more so, I don't think you'll go wrong either way, so good luck! :thwap: