PDA

View Full Version : Another video to judge (just one this time). . .help please?

thearabianmage
May 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hello,

After all of the very sound advice I received from other members about the video I need to send in for this scholarship competition, I've gone and done another video. Now, I know for sure that this isn't the one I will send, but I want to ask people's opinions on two things:

1. In anyone's honest opinion, does this song show off my abilities better than the video of The Black Mage? If you think it sucks, just flat-out tell me.

2. Is the background better? Can it be improved?

If anyone has any other comments, suggestions, anything - I'm all ears (or eyes, depending on how you look at it. . .no pun intended)

Oh, and I'm very aware of the terrible timing mistakes from 00:28 (as well as a few others) these will be corrected in later versions.

Thanks, y'all!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkQ0G9SYWUc

Spudman
May 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
This one is much better. Your guitar is mixed a little low though. The judges might like to hear it a little better. Your playing is very good and shows you have skills which I'm sure judges would be looking for.

The quality of the video is a little on the low FPS side and looks jerky. I'm not sure if that would matter to the judges or not but they probably want to see a well synced video so that they can tell it is you playing for sure.

Still a much better video than the last one.

sunvalleylaw
May 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Nice playing! If you can smooth out the vid, (maybe it is a youtube thing?), I think it would be even better. I voted good times.

Jipes
May 23rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
First of all congratulations for your composition it's quite original and good sounding :AOK: Nice groove and good playing however there's room for improvement but that, you're probably aware.

- The sliding chomatic lick starting at 0.22 is really not correctly placed

- in the middle of the jazz "shredding" 1.58 there's some notes which are definetely "out of tune". Also near the end at 2.31

My main concern is that there's no progression in your song you're already full boost from the beginning and there's no relax time or different climax to take out your skills. I would maybe play less in the beginning.

What I like a lot is your passion and dedication to the song you really look focused into the song and let your felling flow which is imho a very good quality :bravo:

I hope that these few remarks will help you on your way ;)

hubberjub
May 23rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
Nice job man.

thearabianmage
May 23rd, 2008, 06:03 AM
Hey, thanks y'all! I synced the video up fine in Windows Movie Maker, but YouTube butchered it. . . .

Again, I will re-do this one, but I'm glad to know that I am at least heading into the right direction. It's just taken a few days to get a version down that I wouldn't be embarrassed to show everyone.

And I didn't realize when I was playing that my eyes rolled into the back of my head at the beginning of the solo. . . oh dear.

Thanks again everyone!

thearabianmage
May 23rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
First of all congratulations for your composition it's quite original and good sounding :AOK: Nice groove and good playing however there's room for improvement but that, you're probably aware.

- The sliding chomatic lick starting at 0.22 is really not correctly placed

- in the middle of the jazz "shredding" 1.58 there's some notes which are definetely "out of tune". Also near the end at 2.31

My main concern is that there's no progression in your song you're already full boost from the beginning and there's no relax time or different climax to take out your skills. I would maybe play less in the beginning.

What I like a lot is your passion and dedication to the song you really look focused into the song and let your felling flow which is imho a very good quality :bravo:

I hope that these few remarks will help you on your way ;)

I know exactly what you mean about everything! You are very right, as well (but I do like the chromatic bit :D)

There are certain limitations in the video that has to be sent in, and squeezing 7 years in 3 minutes can leave little room to breathe. If this was 5 minutes long, than I would take everything you said aboard - because that is exactly the kind of constructive criticism I like. Thanks!

But for the time being, hopefully the judges will be too impressed to breathe :)

Katastrophe
May 23rd, 2008, 06:32 AM
Great job! Again, very good phrasing and the clean part was way cool.

A few notes off the top of my head, and again, take them for what they're worth...

The distorted lead came out sounding a bit muddy to my ears. You've got fantastic playing skills, and I'd like to hear every note that you're playing.

For some tone hints for this type of playing, listen to any of Frank Axtell's song posts.

Since you've already have a tune that shows your shredding skills with "The Black Mage," I'd be really interested in hearing what you could do with a clean sound for "That Jazz Thang." It would show more versatility to the judges, IMO.

Either way, I think you're definitely heading in the right direction, and keep at it!:bravo: :rockon:

thearabianmage
May 23rd, 2008, 06:53 AM
Since you've already have a tune that shows your shredding skills with "The Black Mage," I'd be really interested in hearing what you could do with a clean sound for "That Jazz Thang." It would show more versatility to the judges, IMO.

You are very right! I really should have a clean solo and a lo-gain solo for more variation. I have to be honest, though, when I first set up that lo-gain lead and started practicing with it, I couldn't stop. I'm usually a hi-gain-lead kinda guy, but I feel that 'voice' suits the song rather well. But in all fairness, I'll see what I can do. I can only send in one video and getting as much variation as possible is a good thing, right? :D Cheers

marnold
May 23rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
I agree with Spud about getting your guitar a little louder in the mix. In this one I can actually tell you have a face, which is a good thing, although the lighting could still stand to be better. I like your take on a Jazzy thing, but it's clear you are a metal head at heart. I would think that "The Black Mage" would be the one you'd want to work on and submit. My $.02, probably overpriced.

thearabianmage
May 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
I agree with Spud about getting your guitar a little louder in the mix. In this one I can actually tell you have a face, which is a good thing, although the lighting could still stand to be better. I like your take on a Jazzy thing, but it's clear you are a metal head at heart. I would think that "The Black Mage" would be the one you'd want to work on and submit. My $.02, probably overpriced.

I am a metal-head at heart :beer: guilty as charged :D

If it were up to me, I would really polish up the Black Mage, because I think that song is sick (if you don't mind me saying) and because the place I'm going to is 'contemporary', there are teachers there who listen to rock/metal (the guitarist from Sepultura did a masterclass there last year, as well as John Petrucci, the bassist and drummer from Sikth, and even Thomas Lang!) So they aren't the 'snobby musicians' who look down on rock players.

But officially, I'm sort of torn because I think there is more variation - or at least greater opportunity for variation - on The Jazz Thang. And trying to show-off as much as I can is key. And I think a 'jazz' piece (I know Jazz Thang ain't that jazzy) would rank higher in terms of brownie points than a metal song.

But dude, I've got a few other songs I've done (no videos) if you wanted to check them out? I would be very interested to see what the Resident Rocker Reverand Rawk has to say about my little rock ditties. :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

Katastrophe
May 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
But dude, I've got a few other songs I've done (no videos) if you wanted to check them out? I would be very interested to see what the Resident Rocker Reverand Rawk has to say about my little rock ditties. :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

I'm not the Right Rev. Rawk, but here's my vote for continuing to post those clips... There might be a real "diamond in the rough" there waiting to come out!

marnold
May 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'm there. Just send the linkage.

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 07:05 AM
thearabianmage,

Sorry it took so long to get to this but :AOK: :AOK: :AOK: :AOK: .

You have some real talent. Stay away from the JD and any other vices because this should be your only vice. You can tell, not only are you good, you are going to get better. Loved the clip and the choice of music.

Your ability to get into the music is something I need to learn.

BTW: as a side note, you have that artist look.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 07:08 AM
thearabianmage,
you have that artist look.

:rotflmao:
I take that as an extreme compliment. One day I also hope to have the musician look about me too, then I can combine the two!! :rockon:

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM
:rotflmao:
I take that as an extreme compliment. One day I also hope to have the musician look about me too, then I can combine the two!! :rockon:

When I say "artist", I am already combining the two. You play with feeling and you can't be a musical artist without feeling.

Dude, forget all the crap in life, immerse yourself in your music and drawings. Those scars you carry should be used to energize your creativity. Turn a negative into a positive.

If you ever make it big or even if you don't, track me down because I want to shake your hand.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Those scars you carry should be used to energize your creativity. Turn a negative into a positive.

My scars, in my opinion, have helped shape my creativity. As long as I have my creativity, I'll have my scars. But so long as I have an outlet, and I have many, I'll be alright :D

If you ever make it big or even if you don't, track me down because I want to shake your hand.

<<hand shake>>