PDA

View Full Version : The Internet Causes Attention Deficit Disorder

Robert
May 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Is the Internet causing A.D.D - what do you think?

http://whydoeseverythingsuck.com/2008/05/internet-causes-add-attention-deficit.html

There is a point here. I feel like I am getting it! Gotta leave the computer and play more guitar.... :)

warren0728
May 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
i was going to respond to your post but got distracted and ended up someplace else!! :D

ww

Robert
May 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
Don't worry, Warren. My mind has wandered off somewhere else a long time ago. (namely, the sudden need for malted barley...:D )

Guitar Gal
May 23rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
I don't think the internet causes AD.....hey how did that fly get in here? Did I leave the.....my neighbor is mowing again....maybe I should.....get a drink, I'm thirsty....malted barley......mmmmm, yes

What was the question? :poke:

GG

luvmyshiner
May 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
What were y'all talkin' about?

Oh yeah, GG, go get that drink!:beer:

thearabianmage
May 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Now, I haven't read/watched the link, but just ADD thing has me going on another rant:

In recent years, studies on 'disorders' such as HADD, ADD, and dyslexia are yielding results that young kids won't like: they are being proven more and more to be 'mythical' disorders.

A couple points against ADD is that, by definition, it is a lack of attention - so what is it called when someone has too much attention (i.e. you can't go under if you can't go over) - and what is considered to be a 'normal attention span' anyway?

H/ADD is most prominent in childhood, and children are naturally curious - it's how we survived for hundreds of thousands of years (sorry all you creationists out there - get with the picture!) A by-product of curiosity is the habit of shifting focus from one subject to the next quickly and sometimes spontaneously - i.e. what some would term 'classic ADD.'

Dyslexia, on the other hand, I personally (and from my own personal experience) would immediately class as, how the English say, 'bollocks.' Can everyone in this forum read music? If not, does that mean you are 'musically-dyslexic'? Probably not, it may just mean you either haven't learnt how to read music, or you haven't learnt correctly. English isn't taught in British schools (don't ask me. . .) and dyslexic is rife here. In 15 years of living in Georgia, I met maybe one or two 'dyslexic' people. In 6 years of living in England, every-bloody-body and their best friend is dyslexic. Seriously. Most people will, admittedly, tell someone they are dyslexic because they can't actually be bothered to read. More than you think, as well.

So if anyone thinks they may be suffering from any of these 'disorders', just forget about it, pick up your axe, and play away!

Tone2TheBone
May 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
I think the internet just makes people lazy.

Spudman
May 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Now, I haven't read/watched the link, but just ADD thing has me going on another rant:

In recent years, studies on 'disorders' such as HADD, ADD, and dyslexia are yielding results that young kids won't like: they are being proven more and more to be 'mythical' disorders.

A couple points against ADD is that, by definition, it is a lack of attention - so what is it called when someone has too much attention (i.e. you can't go under if you can't go over) - and what is considered to be a 'normal attention span' anyway?

H/ADD is most prominent in childhood, and children are naturally curious - it's how we survived for hundreds of thousands of years (sorry all you creationists out there - get with the picture!) A by-product of curiosity is the habit of shifting focus from one subject to the next quickly and sometimes spontaneously - i.e. what some would term 'classic ADD.'

Dyslexia, on the other hand, I personally (and from my own personal experience) would immediately class as, how the English say, 'bollocks.' Can everyone in this forum read music? If not, does that mean you are 'musically-dyslexic'? Probably not, it may just mean you either haven't learnt how to read music, or you haven't learnt correctly. English isn't taught in British schools (don't ask me. . .) and dyslexic is rife here. In 15 years of living in Georgia, I met maybe one or two 'dyslexic' people. In 6 years of living in England, every-bloody-body and their best friend is dyslexic. Seriously. Most people will, admittedly, tell someone they are dyslexic because they can't actually be bothered to read. More than you think, as well.

So if anyone thinks they may be suffering from any of these 'disorders', just forget about it, pick up your axe, and play away!

I have a child with minor dyslexia and it's very real. It's not something I'm going to just "forget about" because it hinders learning. The brain sees things reversed and thinks it is normal. We have been struggling for some time with this issue and it takes time and training. I am not going to just pick up my guitar and pretend it isn't an issue.

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I have a child with minor dyslexia and it's very real. It's not something I'm going to just "forget about" because it hinders learning. The brain sees things reversed and thinks it is normal. We have been struggling for some time with this issue and it takes time and training. I am not going to just pick up my guitar and pretend it isn't an issue.

I have recently some conversations on the subject and am willing to admit that out the people that say they are 'dyslexic' - 60% are plain lazy, 30% haven't been taught how to read properly, and 10% actually do have difficulties.

I know someone who is really clever and not lazy at all. He has difficulties reading, but he still tries. Instead of reading, though, he buys tapes of books he wants to read and listens to them. He has listened to a lot of books, and it is in situations like these, where he has genuinely tried and can't, that I am willing to accept dyslexia is a real thing.

Although I don't know you or your child, I'll be willing to accept the same there because you seem genuinely upset about it. Sorry, dude, I didn't know.

oldguy
May 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I have a younger brother who struggled for years in school, and tho never diagnosed, had all the symptoms. Thing is, he's great at hands-on carpentry, landscaping, any type of work that depends on hand/eye coordination, and is an artist in his own right. I'm not meaning to sound trite, but I truly believe each of us has a talent waiting to be mined, and hopefully each of us will find our calling.
Meantime, I hope for the best for all these children, and offer my best wishes for each and every one.:)

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I have a younger brother who struggled for years in school, and tho never diagnosed, had all the symptoms. Thing is, he's great at hands-on carpentry, landscaping, any type of work that depends on hand/eye coordination, and is an artist in his own right. I'm not meaning to sound trite, but I truly believe each of us has a talent waiting to be mined, and hopefully each of us will find our calling.
Meantime, I hope for the best for all these children, and offer my best wishes for each and every one.:)

That's a general rule with 'brain science' - whatever its official name is. If there is a deficit somewhere, it will most certainly be compensated somewhere else.

Watch videos of Derek Paravicini

Tim
May 25th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I don't understand the original post. Every time I read it, another message pops in my head. Then I respond to a completely different topic.

What's up with that?

But all kidding aside. My son has ADD and it is nothing to kid about. He gets very upset when he forgets what he was trying to say. Many times I have sat down with him to discuss important things on his mind. Right in the middle of a statement he goes blank. Doctors say it may be linked to all the additives that have been introduced to our food and drinks over the past years. It is a growing condition that has doctors worried. Lets go back to natural food!

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Lets go back to natural food!
A round of beer and cheetos for everyone :beer: :munch:

Spudman
May 25th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I don't understand the original post. Every time I read it, another message pops in my head. Then I respond to a completely different topic.

What's up with that?

But all kidding aside. My son has ADD and it is nothing to kid about. He gets very upset when he forgets what he was trying to say. Many times I have sat down with him to discuss important things on his mind. Right in the middle of a statement he goes blank. Doctors say it may be linked to all the additives that have been introduced to our food and drinks over the past years. It is a growing condition that has doctors worried. Lets go back to natural food!

Bingo! This is being found to be true. Nutrition plays a critical and reversing role in ADD.

Tone2TheBone
May 26th, 2008, 12:26 AM

What's up with that?

I totally believe in your theory Tim. I've always thought preservatives in the food we eat and the things we drink have screwed us all up including me. I have to read and sound numbers (1,2,3,4.....) outloud because I seriously think I have dyslexia with numbers. Is that possible?

Tim
May 26th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I totally believe in your theory Tim. I've always thought preservatives in the food we eat and the things we drink have screwed us all up including me. I have to read and sound numbers (1,2,3,4.....) outloud because I seriously think I have dyslexia with numbers. Is that possible?

I don't know Tone. You got the first four correct.

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I don't know Tone. You got the first four correct.

he meant to start at 10:D

Tone2TheBone
May 26th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Mon if you can't remembah the first 4 then you be in some sick $h!7....

thearabianmage
May 27th, 2008, 05:32 AM
$h!7....

I'm not so sure that '$', 'h', and 'i', are numbers, though. . . :D