PDA

View Full Version : This song is a departure for me

luvmyshiner
May 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
The folks who have known me awhile, like Pappy and Strum, know that I'm basically a hack. When I picked up the guitar, all I wanted to do was to be able to play a few songs, and connect with my daughter. Then CB got it involved at it became a family thing.:)

But 95% of my songs are just strumming. And when I talk about working on a song I'm usually working on new chords.

My son played this song for me, and I started listening to it, and it didn't sound all that freakin' hard. It's a pretty basic picking pattern all the way through the song. I just have to get used to playing a little higher on the fretboard, and learn to play smoothly.

Found tabs today, and started working on. I think I can get this one, I'm real slow right now, but I know the speed will come later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWapziQ2mAk

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Getting a message that the video is no longer available. Post the complete address and we can just go to youtube.

luvmyshiner
May 23rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Sorry about that Strum, should be fixed now.

Robert
May 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
It says it's not available in my country. :confused:

luvmyshiner
May 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Dang Robert, I'm having no luck tonight. So much for the dramatic suspense.:reallymad:

The song is "Never too Late", Three Days Grace.

Guitar Gal
May 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
The link worked for me Shiner :bravo:

The song sounds awesome :AOK: I'm sure you could do it :beer:

GG

Robert
May 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
Let's try embedding it...

YWapziQ2mAk

Nope, don't worky for me.

luvmyshiner
May 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks GG!:)

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Shiner's linky worked for me...Robert's embed showed a frame, but when I push play, no worky...:confused:

luvmyshiner
May 23rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Robert, try this one and see if you have any better luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBwCFiDCtpI

Robert
May 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
I thought I'd be seeing and hearing Shiner! Ripoff! :mad: :D
That's the modern stuff kids these days listen to, eh? Call me old fashioned. That intro is a little tricky with the timing I suspect, but it sounds nice.

sunvalleylaw
May 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
I like it Shiner! Go at it bud, you can do it.

luvmyshiner
May 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks Steve.:beer:

Robert, I think you're absolutely right about the timing. The problem is going to be when I start trying to sing it (and no, I won't make y'all suffer through that). I won't be doing that for awhile. I think I need to get it down pat, until it's second nature, and then I'll start trying to sing. But if I try to do both at once right now, it won't be pretty.:messedup:

Katastrophe
May 23rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
I dig that song... Go for it Shiner!

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Curious, what is it a departure from? Don't say KC.

Katastrophe
May 23rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Nah, he was working on a Shatner/Nimoy medley/retrospective...:D

luvmyshiner
May 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Nah, he was working on a Shatner/Nimoy medley/retrospective...:D

:rotflmao: I'm still working on that one Kat, only I'm making it an acoustic tribute to a spoken version of a vocal interpretation of . . . oh, never mind.:D

luvmyshiner
May 27th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Spent most of the weekend working on the song and it's coming along pretty well. I still need to work on keeping it fluid, if that makes sense, but I'm getting there.

So last night I thought I'd try singing it while playing, and sure enough Robert's observation about the timing hit me like a frying pan in the face.:flamemad: Do you remember when you were a kid, and you would try to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time? I'll keep working at it though. I'll get this sucker down eventually.

evenkeel
May 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Shiner, Good on ya for trying new things. Singing along with a complicated piece is a big challenge. At least for me. I usually try and break it down into manageable parts. Get a verse down, or even just a line or two. Then expand. I use the break it down system a lot when learning guitar/harmonica parts.

warren0728
May 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
that's a pretty powerful song shiner....i am curious as to your (or others) interpretation of what the song is about....

i am going to search for the tabs now....

ww

warren0728
May 27th, 2008, 05:27 PM
so i looked for tabs and it looks like they are all in drop d tuning...are you using that tuning or did you find tabs in standard tuning?

ww

luvmyshiner
May 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm using drop d tuning Warren. And I agree that the song has a powerful message, that's one of the things I like about it.

warren0728
May 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm using drop d tuning Warren. And I agree that the song has a powerful message, that's one of the things I like about it.
cool...it's fun to use alternate tunings :AOK: ....my electric-reso is tuned to open g and i enjoy playing around with slide on it!

ww

luvmyshiner
May 27th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Here's the tabs I've been using Warren. Let me know if you find something better.

http://www.guitarmasta.net/t/three_days_grace/343330.html

warren0728
May 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM
that's one i found...might have to try drop d and give it a whirl!

ww