PDA

View Full Version : New Phone

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
I finally am getting the company to get me a phone rather than using my own. I think the roaming and minute charges that I turn in made them realize I use mine a lot for company business.

I'm not sure if I get one of the existing phones we have or if I order a new one. I'm not a big "bell and whistle" kind of guy. The blackberries don't thrill me because they look clumsy and I like to keep the phone in my pocket and those are almost as big as one of my old phones.

I want something that can hold a charge on stand-by or talk time. My Motorola W385 has some of the longer charge holding time.

Any recommendations from the fretters?

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
who do you have your cell phone with?

Robert
May 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
I am very happy with my Sony Ericsson. There's new models coming out all the time. Mine is a couple of years old but has fantastic battery life. About a week.

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
who do you have your cell phone with?

I have Verizon and so does the company I work for. I've had Verizon for about 16 years and like the service.

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
I have Verizon and so does the company I work for. I've had Verizon for about 16 years and like the service.

Ah. Cingular here. Well, it's AT&T now...I keep forgetting. It's what my whole family uses, so we can call each other for free basically. Never tried any other providers.

And it's funny that this subject came up. Our current contract just ran up and when it does you qualify for a phone upgrade. I sprung for this one. It's more than I need, but I thought it would be a fun, cool toy that I could also call people with:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Pantech+Duo&q_sku=sku1080007

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
the free calling is one of the reasons we stayed with Verizon. We can call anyone that has Verizon "in-calling" for free. The other reason, I probably have averaged less than one dropped call per year.

The only negative about Verizon, this guy keeps following me everywhere I go

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/verizon.jpg

and of course, her too

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/InvisibleBuck.jpg

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
How is her following you a negative? She can kill deer. :master:

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
How is her following you a negative?

the negative is she drags that thing wherever she goes.

Rabies
May 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
the negative is she drags that thing wherever she goes.

Small price to pay.

Are you talking about the dead deer, or the Verizon guy?

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
this one is interesting.

player
May 23rd, 2008, 11:46 PM
Bluegrass cellular here.one price a month you can call anywhere anytime.no airtime minutes.like at&t though.Bellsouth if I move south.very reliable and reasonable.great digital everything and DSL too in the package.

just strum
May 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
oopps, forgot to attach the link.

This one has good battery length and a keyboard.

Edit: I had to be half asleep last night, in my mind I was attaching a link, but in reality....

try again:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3725&changingCompletedOrder=

sunvalleylaw
May 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Up here, it is a kind of "pick your dead spots" sort of thing. Each service has strong and weak spots. I have been with Verizon for years, and have been frustrated by the same dead spots for years. Edge (being bought by ATT) has them too, but has better coverage on parts of Baldy that I care about as a head coach. After the buy out is done, and after the next version of the iPhone comes out, I am going that direction. My office computer system including calendar, contacts, mail etc., plus music, will work seamlessly that way. And the performance on the hill as a phone is pretty amazing, as I have watched guests use theirs while my Palm was getting no service or would not hook up.

As an alternative, my buddy really likes his Blackberry Pearl, which is much smaller/sleaker than the regular ones. He works for a large law firm, and it works for him well. He also added memory and uses it as his MP3 player now.

Rabies
May 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
My sister in law has an iPhone. They're pretty cool. I've only fiddled with it a little.

One thing about hers is that it tends to lock up/crash a lot. She's not very savvy about things like that, and I told her to check into some updates...I'm sure the web is chock full of them for that thing...that could solve some of those problems. Or it could just be her unit...I don't know.

Just something to maybe watch out for if you go that route.

That is something that really gets to me...Apple, Microsoft, or whoever...rush a product out with all kinds of short-comings. MS Vista, for example, is one cool OS...if you can get past all of the little things that they should have taken care of before they released it (and a couple other stupid things that they MEANT to be there :mad: ).

sunvalleylaw
May 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I was not seeing that on my ski clients' phones, but I am sure it can occur. One reason i am waiting for the second generation, so they can integrate the feedback from customers and improve it. I do think as a general rule only, Apple tends to do better on initial releases than MS. But that is my partly biased opinion. :-) This is a phone thread, and not an Apple/Windows debate, so I better not go there.

Rabies
May 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I was not seeing that on my ski clients' phones, but I am sure it can occur. One reason i am waiting for the second generation, so they can integrate the feedback from customers and improve it. I do think as a general rule only, Apple tends to do better on initial releases than MS. But that is my partly biased opinion. :-) This is a phone thread, and not an Apple/Windows debate, so I better not go there.

I agree with you. I think apple does do better on initial releases...WAY BETTER.

Has microsoft EVER had a successful launch of ANY PRODUCT? As in, any product that doesn't have something wrong with it? I can't think of one...matter of fact, every MS product that I pass through my head trying to think of one, I remember at least one thing that caused a stir.

Anyway...back to phones. :D