PDA

View Full Version : Changes Over Time

just strum
May 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Two years ago before I purchased my first guitar, I would go into a music shop and look around really having no clue as to what I was looking at or what I was really looking for. I knew the big three - Gibson, Fender, and Martin. I knew nothing of Epiphone and Squier being part of Gibson and Fender. I knew nothing of Gretsch or Ibanez, or... - well, you get my point.

Being shy, I would be approached by sales people and didn't have the foggiest idea of what questions to ask. Being around some of the serious guitarist in a shop was fascinating, but intimidating at the same time.

Fast forward two years - still have so much to learn, but the knowledge base has increased a lot. So today I go for my lesson and I am waiting around and notice an instructor and the owner of the store talking to a kid, probably 17 years old and his mother. He owns an acoustic and is considering buying an electric. I'm getting ready to head back to the room and I hear the owner of the store say "Ask him, he is familiar with different guitars, he can probably assist you". That "him" was me. It sort of took me by surprise and although I've been asked about guitars and playing, I never have been referred to by someone I acknowledge of knowing far more than me.

The conversation that took place isn't important, the point is the development that has taken place in two years. A lot of what I have learned I now take as second nature and fail to recognize the advancements. It's not just in playing, but in the understanding of music and the instrument.

It was one of those moments to take stock in what has been accomplished in two years. If I would have been able to invest all my time into guitar I may not think much of it, but to accomplish it in my spare time is pretty cool - at least to me.;)

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I'm surprised that no one has replied to this!

But in any case, nice one, dude! Changes in ourselves, as we grow, learn, and love, happen so subtly that only the most sensitive of us can even notice. But skip two years in the future, and you'd be surprised the differences we have made to ourselves.

When I first started playing guitar, I always wondered what kind of guitarist I would be in a year's time. I remember very clearly what my first few goals were for the year's time I was to invest in the instrument. 7 years later, I'm still doing the same thing. I remember what I was like a year ago and what I am like now. How I have changed, how I've gotten better, where I can improve.

It's a never-ending process (if you let it become one)

And always remember to share your knowledge where and when you can! Have fun playing!

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I'm surprised that no one has replied to this!

But in any case, nice one, dude! Changes in ourselves, as we grow, learn, and love, happen so subtly that only the most sensitive of us can even notice. But skip two years in the future, and you'd be surprised the differences we have made to ourselves.

When I first started playing guitar, I always wondered what kind of guitarist I would be in a year's time. I remember very clearly what my first few goals were for the year's time I was to invest in the instrument. 7 years later, I'm still doing the same thing. I remember what I was like a year ago and what I am like now. How I have changed, how I've gotten better, where I can improve.

It's a never-ending process (if you let it become one)

And always remember to share your knowledge where and when you can! Have fun playing!

You're wise beyond your years.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
You're wise beyond your years.

:D