PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Else See Something Wrong With This Body?

WackyT
May 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.musiciansheaven.net/pics/MB844FLG.jpg

NEW USA FLAG LEFT HANDED LEFTY STRAT ELECTRIC GUITAR (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-USA-FLAG-LEFT-HANDED-LEFTY-STRAT-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ200226222879QQihZ010QQcategoryZ155 301QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Being former military, I spotted it right away.:thwap:

just strum
May 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
upside down flag.

warren0728
May 24th, 2008, 07:12 PM
upside down flag.
yep....that's a no-no :nono: :smile-us:

ww

Rabies
May 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM
But, it is a lefty...so turn it over.

But...one for the lefties...what is wrong about an american flag upside down? Why is that so wrong? Becaus SOMEONE ELSE told you that it is? :confused: :AOK:

bigoldron
May 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Maybe it's for right-handed Hendrix imitators??? :confused:

just strum
May 24th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Well, at least the picture is presented right side up.

warren0728
May 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM

But...one for the lefties...what is wrong about an american flag upside down? Why is that so wrong? Because SOMEONE ELSE told you that it is? :confused: :AOK:
it's not a matter of wrong...just a sign of disrespect...and that isn't just for the american flag....for any flag and other symbols (religious and such)

as for it being wrong because someone told me it is....you obviously don't know me very well....but i tend to not do or believe anything because someone tells me too....maybe you just like being a little antagonistic...or so it seems by some of your posts.... :whatever:

this is generally a very friendly and respectful forum and we like it that way....

ww

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
as for it being wrong because someone told me it is....you obviously don't know me very well....but i tend to not do or believe anything because someone tells me too....
ww

I can prove this for the people that think they don't know him.

Now Warren, follow my instructions to the letter and you will be a happier and more fulfilled individual.

Instructions:

Gather up all guitars and guitar related gear and I will PM you the address that the stuff should be shipped to.

Algonquin
May 25th, 2008, 12:24 PM
The 1992 World Series was the first Series ever played outside of the United States of America. It pitted the American League champion Toronto Blue Jays against the National League champion Atlanta Braves.

A faux pas occurred when a United States Marine Corps color guard erroneously displayed the Canadian flag upside down during the opening ceremony of the second game.[1] Speculation ensued amongst some Canadians that the flag was flown upside down as a deliberate insult to Canada, although most agreed the act was unintentional. The Corps apologized for the error and took pains to carry the flag properly prior to Game 3 in Toronto after insisting that they would be honored to do so.

warren0728
May 25th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I can prove this for the people that think they don't know him.

Now Warren, follow my instructions to the letter and you will be a happier and more fulfilled individual.

Instructions:

Gather up all guitars and guitar related gear and I will PM you the address that the stuff should be shipped to.
not gonna happen...i don't like to do what people tell me too! :poke: :beer:

ww

warren0728
May 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM
The 1992 World Series was the first Series ever played outside of the United States of America. It pitted the American League champion Toronto Blue Jays against the National League champion Atlanta Braves.

A faux pas occurred when a United States Marine Corps color guard erroneously displayed the Canadian flag upside down during the opening ceremony of the second game.[1] Speculation ensued amongst some Canadians that the flag was flown upside down as a deliberate insult to Canada, although most agreed the act was unintentional. The Corps apologized for the error and took pains to carry the flag properly prior to Game 3 in Toronto after insisting that they would be honored to do so.
i remember that....definitley an "oops" moment! :thwap:

ww

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
So you think that Laurel are trying to disrespectful, or that they just didn't take the time with their strat copy?

Rabies
May 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM
it's not a matter of wrong...just a sign of disrespect...and that isn't just for the american flag....for any flag and other symbols (religious and such)

as for it being wrong because someone told me it is....you obviously don't know me very well....but i tend to not do or believe anything because someone tells me too....maybe you just like being a little antagonistic...or so it seems by some of your posts.... :whatever:

this is generally a very friendly and respectful forum and we like it that way....

ww

Did I do something wrong?

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
In all fairness warren, that message did seem out of order. And considering you are complaining about rabies being antagonistic towards you, you did a very good job at being antagonistic back. Not the best way to handle that sort of situation.

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM
these things go nowhere productive - opinions have been said and there is no win or lose.

One is protective of their beliefs whether it's country, religion, or whatever.

Nothing more to be gained here.

Later,

warren0728
May 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
In all fairness warren, that message did seem out of order. And considering you are complaining about rabies being antagonistic towards you, you did a very good job at being antagonistic back. Not the best way to handle that sort of situation.
actually i was put off by rabies comments implying that flying the flag upside down was wrong because "someone told me it was wrong"...and to be quite honest i confused him with another new member who seems to be kinda negative too....i probably shouldn't have called him out publicly...

beers for everybody... :beer: :beer: :beer:

ww

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
these things go nowhere productive - opinions have been said and there is no win or lose.

One is protective of their beliefs whether it's country, religion, or whatever.

Nothing more to be gained here.

Later,

Fair shout

Rabies
May 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
actually i was put off by rabies comments implying that flying the flag upside down was wrong because "someone told me it was wrong"...and to be quite honest i confused him with another new member who seems to be kinda negative too....i probably shouldn't have called him out publicly...

beers for everybody... :beer: :beer: :beer:

ww

No harm done, really.

I was not trying to antagonize. I just question many, MANY things.

A flag is a flag. If you see it upside down, it's still the same flag...it's just upside down. But for some reason, many people get upset about it. I don't see the big deal. I know that the way it's designed and all, it's supposed to be a certain direction. I just don't get why people get all aggravated and say that it's disrespectful if someone puts it upside down. I don't get why some people would turn a flag upside down and INTEND for it to be disrespectful...that's just silly.

Several years ago, I had to go to court for a traffic ticket. So I got up on that day, got ready and headed on out there. Wearing normal clothes...the same clothes I wear every day. I wore some blue jeans, a t-shirt, and a hat. A baseball cap. I wear pretty much the same thing just about everywhere I go.

Anyway, long story short, I go to court, sit down and wait my turn....my turn to pay a speeding ticket. Before the judge comes in and sits down, one of the Bailiffs or whatever he was asked me to take my hat off. I did, no questions asked. But I thought about it afterwards...

Evidently wearing a hat in a courtroom is disrespectful in some way to someone. I think that's just mindlessly silly. It's just a hat...an article of clothing...how is wearing it ANYWHERE disrespectful? Whether it's the supermarket, a ballgame, at the park, , in bed, in court, WHEREVER.

Am I alone in feeling this way?

I just question everything. And if it doesn't really make sense to me, I often speak on it...and hopefully someone can help me understand 'why'. And I'm sorry if that offends anyone.

In no way am I trying to be disrespectful or antagonistic to anyone on here. I think that would just be silly to do that on an online forum...I know it happens everywhere everyday on every other forum. But not here. That's why I like it here.

Anyway...beers all around...way ahead of you, Warren. :AOK: :beer:

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evidently wearing a hat in a courtroom is disrespectful is some way to someone. I think that's just mindlessly silly.

Am I alone in feeling this way?

I just question everything. And if it doesn't really make sense to me, I often speak on it...

No you are not alone.

And never think it is a bad thing to question everything. How do you think the human race has gotten anywhere? By just knowing?

And it takes courage to speak your thoughts. I am just like you in that way. If I think something is wrong morally or factually, I will speak against it - no matter who it's to. Some people don't like this. You know why? Well, there's no easy answer, but there are many. For some people, it's an ego thing. I told my boss he was wrong this one time and he argued with me about it. It turned out that I was, in fact, right and that he knew it. That night I got fired.

But this is not so much a curse, if you don't let it become one. I am only 21 and for me to have this kind of attitude is a mixed blessing. My elders, like my step-father who I have had many a argument with, don't like people younger than they are standing up to them. They hate it. But they respect it as well. It's a trait that matures with us, and will bring us above the rest in our age groups.

Curiosity is indicative of many things. Foolishness is not one of them.

Tim
May 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I agree with Warren. If you are going to own an American flag, know the rules of displaying it. http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml

By the way, flying an upside down flag generally means you are in trouble and need help.

Like other Fretters (no matter what country) we should honor our home flag with pride.

oldguy
May 25th, 2008, 03:31 PM
No you are not alone.

And never think it is a bad thing to question everything. How do you think the human race has gotten anywhere? By just knowing?

Curiosity is indicative of many things. Foolishness is not one of them.

Agreed! With one caveat..... most cultures respected their elders for a reason.... most elders were wiser. Not always the case today, but as a rule, consideration given to others has a place in society, and for a reason.
I am 53 yrs. old, and have questioned the status quo many times. I personally do not believe in being vulgar, insulting, or belittling others to try and appear superior, but I do ask questions when I think common sense is being abandoned for political correctness, and I applaud others for doing the same. Age has nothing to do with a person doing the right thing. And the right thing is usually as simple as listening to one's conscience and treating others as we would want to be treated.
End of rant..........
:pancake:

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Agreed! With one caveat..... most cultures respected their elders for a reason.... most elders were wiser. Not always the case today, but as a rule, consideration given to others has a place in society, and for a reason.
I am 53 yrs. old, and have questioned the status quo many times. I personally do not believe in being vulgar, insulting, or belittling others to try and appear superior, but I do ask questions when I think common sense is being abandoned for political correctness, and I applaud others for doing the same. Age has nothing to do with a person doing the right thing. And the right thing is usually as simple as listening to one's conscience and treating others as we would want to be treated.
End of rant..........
:pancake:

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Don't get me wrong, I always try to respect my elders and there are many people I do respect and listen to and think are wise (most of them are ageing or disabled women. . .)

But today is a bad age for wisdom, equality, and all-around soundness.

and PC is just about the worst thing to have happened in the last century. Even the Holocaust, though intrinsically terrible, has had more positive ramifications than political correctness has. That's a rant for another time, though.

Rabies
May 25th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I agree with Warren. If you are going to own an American flag, know the rules of displaying it. http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml

By the way, flying an upside down flag generally means you are in trouble and need help.

Like other Fretters (no matter what country) we should honor our home flag with pride.

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but I just think it's strange that the guidelines for treating that piece of fabric are so outlined, and you can actually get in trouble if you go against them.

That thing is treated better and with more respect than many human beings in this country. :confused:

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm not trying to stir anything up, but I just think it's strange that the guidelines for treating that piece of fabric are so outlined, and you can actually get in trouble if you go against them.

That thing is treated better and with more respect than many human beings in this country. :confused:

You'd think there are more important things for people to be worrying about nowadays. . .

Like racism, sexism, the political situations in places like Burma, Sierra Leone, Kenya, and the Congo, just to name a few.

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 04:49 PM
You'd think there are more important things for people to be worrying about nowadays. . .

Like racism, sexism, the political situations in places like Burma, Sierra Leone, Kenya, and the Congo, just to name a few.

People do, but there are other forums to discuss it or your local coffee shops and pubs.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/deadhorse.gif

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM
People do, but there are other forums to discuss it or your local coffee shops and pubs.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/deadhorse.gif

So talking about the disrespect of upside down flags is alright in this forum (because it was on a guitar) :confused:

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
So talking about the disrespect of upside down flags is alright in this forum (because it was on a guitar) :confused:

good point.

However, I just think this thread has run its course, at least for me.

I rather discuss guitar and music related stuff with you.

You want to discuss politics or continue with this subject, just PM me. However, I warn you I probably have nothing more to add on the subject.

oldguy
May 25th, 2008, 05:00 PM
No, here's the shortlist.
If you are talking politics, religion, or vulgar subjects here, you are not following the forum rules.
Simple, short, factual.

warren0728
May 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM

i don't think you can get in trouble....it's just a respect thing (like holding the door open for someone behind you (man or woman) so it doesn't slam in their face....

and i agree there are are some human beings in this country that aren't treated with the same respect as the flag....

this thread is getting highly political....lets get back to guitars :greenguitar: and beer :beer: (or a nice single malt scotch or two!) \_/ \_/

ww

Rabies
May 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM
No, here's the shortlist.
If you are talking politics, religion, or vulgar subjects here, you are not following the forum rules.
Simple, short, factual.

I don't think any of those three are here...:confused:

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM
i don't think you can get in trouble....it's just a respect thing (like holding the door open for someone behind you (man or woman) so it doesn't slam in their face....

Huh, where is the humor in that?

yKoIwOoBOwI

Tim
May 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Stay cool Rabies. I am not crucifying you by no means. I added the site so more individuals would understand the "guidelines" for displaying the flag. To me personally, its not just a piece of cloth that gets more respect than human beings. Its about the human beings that died for the flag (any country's flag) that deserve the respect. I fought for my flag and lost family and friends to several wars. In today"s society, there should be no wars. Everybody should respect other humans no matter where they live. Sad to say, some believe they have the right to take what is not theirs

As I get older, life means more to me than before. Its not that I am getting older, but the realization of how precious life really is sinks in more everyday.

I just hope that the world can live in harmony one day.

To my fellow Americas, remember your loved ones this Memorial Day weekend. Leave a legacy so that you too will be remembered in your past days to come.

A word on "Wisdom". I never met a young wise person. I am 59 years old and do not consider myself very wise. My father is 89 years old. I consider him very wise. I am still learning from him, thank God.

No offense to anybody. These are just my thoughts.

A Moderator can remove if desired. There is a hint of politics and religion in my post.

Rabies
May 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Stay cool Rabies. I am not crucifying you by no means. I added the site so more individuals would understand the "guidelines" for displaying the flag. To me personally, its not just a piece of cloth that gets more respect than human beings. Its about the human beings that died for the flag (any country's flag) that deserve the respect. I fought for my flag and lost family and friends to several wars. In today"s society, there should be no wars. Everybody should respect other humans no matter where they live. Sad to say, some believe they have the right to take what is not theirs

As I get older, life means more to me than before. Its not that I am getting older, but the realization of how precious life really is sinks in more everyday.

I just hope that the world can live in harmony one day.

To my fellow Americas, remember your loved ones this Memorial Day weekend. Leave a legacy so that you too will be remembered in your past days to come.

A word on "Wisdom". I never met a young wise person. I am 59 years old and do not consider myself very wise. My father is 89 years old. I consider him very wise. I am still learning from him, thank God.

No offense to anybody. These are just my thoughts.

A Moderator can remove if desired. There is a hint of politics and religion in my post.

I directed nothing toward you. I'm sorry if you felt I did. I mean no disrespect to anyone. I just wish everyone would question what respect really is and where it should be directed...and why.

Focus on the why...:AOK:

oldguy
May 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM
No need to remove. Just keep it civil.
Discussion is okay. Flaming one another, or being vulgar is not.
Keep it civil, guys, and continue......

Rabies
May 25th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I used bold and italic on that one...don't want anyone to get onto me.

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Just so long as you don't use all Caps, now ;)

WackyT
May 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Serving in the US Air Force for 20 years, the US flag represents the country that I helped protect, and continue to to the best of my abilities. Displaying it upside down when not in a signal of distress, to me, is very disrespectful.

Sorry if starting this thread disturbed anyone due to the values I place on the proper respect the US flag deserves.

Out.

Tim
May 25th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Serving in the US Air Force for 20 years, the US flag represents the country that I helped protect, and continue to to the best of my abilities. Displaying it upside down when not in a signal of distress, to me, is very disrespectful.

Sorry if starting this thread disturbed anyone due to the values I place on the proper respect the US flag deserves.

Out.

Ditto - Out!

Happy pickin" everyone

warren0728
May 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
thanks for your service wackyt :smile-us: ...especially this memorial day weekend....if it weren't for guys like you we couldn't have these types of discussions....

ww

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
thanks for your service wackyt :smile-us: ...especially this memorial day weekend....if it weren't for guys like you we couldn't have these types of discussions....

ww

That is a good point. I may not be in America, but I am American at heart! I was born in a free country, and I was raised in a free country, and this flag - The Star Spangled Banner - is part of that freedom.

Spudman
May 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Personally I think it is an ugly guitar. :)

player
May 26th, 2008, 10:10 AM

But...one for the lefties...what is wrong about an american flag upside down? Why is that so wrong? Becaus SOMEONE ELSE told you that it is? :confused: :AOK:

always thought if the flag was flown upside down it meant a sign of distress or trouble?was I misinformed

Rockette
May 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Flying Old Glory upside-down is a traditional signal of distress. It's only "disrespectful," if an individual takes it that way.
I may not agree with, but I wholeheartedly support the freedom that allows US citizens to do what they wish with their Old Glory, even if it means it may piss other people off--it's what "real" freedom is all about!

KrisH
May 26th, 2008, 04:50 PM
always thought if the flag was flown upside down it meant a sign of distress or trouble?was I misinformed
Meaning the guitar is intended for very poor players?

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Meaning the guitar is intended for very poor players?
Hah! Nice one! I can see it now:

'Hey Jim, that guitarist up on stage. . . his guitar has an upside-down flag on it. . .'

'Yeah, I noticed. His solos are lacking emotional content.'

'Let's help him out'

'After my beer. . .'

peachhead
May 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM

ww

Right on, brother :AOK: