PDA

View Full Version : Hello Campers

Mr Grumpy
May 25th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Right, the wife and I are thinking about starting having family camping holidays - basically spend a bit on half decent stuff then get several trips a year around the UK/Ireland/France. So we need some advice on decent family tents (4 of us, so decent tents that sleep about 6 is what we are looking at). Need advice on all the other bits and bobs we need to, we have 2 little ones so comfort and space are essential. Looking at an outwell montana 6 tent and (good deal) a sprayway valley 6 both around £350 (the sprayway has a free canopy).

Any campers offer some advice? Im quite excited at the though of getting out and about seeing some scenery, basically investing in our hols for the next few years. Starting from scratch so Im probably budgeting around £800-£1000 for equipment. Probably need a roof box for the car too.

PS Im also trying to get spousal approval for a travel guitar (hofner shorty) and a 'camplifier' eg Orange microcrush...

Im sure camping stateside may be a little different, we dont have wildlife issues etc over here and our weather is, well, unpredictable at best. There must be common ground though!

ZMAN
May 25th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I camped for years and have moved on for comforts sake. With smaller children it can be a lot of fun. What I would recommend is a small travel trailer. There is nothing worse than sleeping on the ground. You could get a pop up with a canvas top and it can be used to store all the extras you will need. A small tent could be used for the children or as a storage area.
To camp you need the following other than your tents. Camp stove, a good cooler/ice chest. Large water container, a good propane or fuel lamp for the evenings, cooking utensils, plastic plates and some sort of cheap cutlery. Flashlights, and a lot of batteries.
You would also need some sort of cot or inflatable air mattress, a good set of sleeping bags. And a good set of rain gear. Rain doesn't bother you when you have a place to duck into but when camping, that is a different matter.
I also bought a canopy to keep you out of the sun and rain. I don't know if mosquitos are a problem in Britain but a good eating tent with a mosquito net is almost a must have here in Canada. Some sort of a first aid kit and a set of tools like hammer, saw, axe, shovel and some sort of small broom. It is amazing what you need when family camping. The list goes even further, because you basically need everything you do at home but on a smaller scale.
Depending on the time frame you might need a small tent heater to take the dampness out of the air.

sunvalleylaw
May 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM
We car camp as a family, and use a REI large dome tent that was actually intended for 4 seasons. That means it was built really well. We have had it for years, and last year, when our site flooded during a storm, the tent floated on top of the water for a while before we discovered it and our stuff did not get wet inside. So, if you go tent, I recommend a large dome that is built well, rather than a Costco type family camp tent. Some prefer the headroom etc. available in those large, tall square type tents, but I prefer a rain fly that works, zippers that really work, etc. REI has honored warranty repairs on the seams and zippers for free for years too. We got the thing in about '93 or so and it still serves us well.

For sleeping comfort, we cut large foam mattress pieces that my wife made flannel slip covers for, that fit the floor of the tent perfectly and provide some cushion. Way too heavy if we were backpacking, but nice for car camping.

We have thought of a tent trailer, and the sure seem nice. Zman is right that it is nice to be up off the ground. But we often tow a boat when we go camping, so the hitch is usually being used. A pickup type camper would be our other option, but we have not gone there.

Algonquin
May 25th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Down filled sleeping bags are great, but are more expensive than synthetic filled bags. They will however last much, much longer than synthetic which makes them cheaper in the long run. Down when wet doesn't provide much (any?) insulation, whereas synthetic will dry quickly and even provide some warmth when wet.

I like self inflating air mattress's like the ones made by Thermarest. You don't have to go with that brand, but that type of pad are very comfortable.

As for a tent, look for something with good ventilation and a fly that extends all the way to the ground if possible... you'll stay dryer.

If you're planning on car camping, don't be overly concerned about size and weight. Find something that you and your family are going to be happy with and continue to use. It would be nice if you can stand in your tent to get dressed.

Storage of your gear is important too. Sleeping bags should be stored in a loose sack, not compressed. Same goes for self inflating mattress pads. Leave them inflated with the valve open and compress just prior to your trip. They inflate much quicker this way. A tent will last longer if not in continuous sunlight (UV damage), so shade is better if you can find it.

Camping is a great way to enjoy and spend quality time with family. I wish you great luck in finding gear that fits your needs.

Cheers :beer:
David

Edit. Like SVL also mentioned, Dome tents are great (self standing) Some are easier to put up than others. Try and find one that uses clips to attach to the pole structure. Just a little easier than threading the poles through sleeves.

sumitomo
May 25th, 2008, 01:47 PM
And if this all sounds like too much hassel,just go on day hikes and spend the night at the Holiday Inn.(they have hot tubs,pools ect great for after all that hiking.)Sumi:D

Algonquin
May 26th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Wow, those are some big tents Mr Grumpy! They look great, and you will have all the space you'll ever need.

Here's a clip I found of a Gent pitching a Montana 6.
iwPkZ872vbw&feature=related

This man has it setup in under 9 minutes, but he has everything laid out, looks like he's done it many, many times, and is hustling the entire time. I would think 30 minutes is more realistic to set a tent of this size up. That's probably fine if you're staying in one place for a while, but if your traveling... it might be a bit much.