PDA

View Full Version : Fretiquette.

Algonquin
May 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
It's all laid out fairly clear in the 'Posting Rules' thread http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6037.

Fretiquette - Am I wrong to think that text typed in ALL CAPS is generally perceived as a form of shouting?

:beer:

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Well, generally speaking, no. But you have to put things in context and not just assume that is the way things are.

'A' is one of the most commonly used characters in the English alphabet and it also happens to be next to the 'CAPS' button on most keyboard. It could have been a mistake by someone?

Spudman
May 25th, 2008, 03:41 PM
If someone is posting in all caps then they are certainly not paying attention to what they are doing. Nobody else does it and it probably will be addressed because it really is difficult to read and interpreted as yelling.

Basic rule is if you are going to be part of the forum then fit in.

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM
No reason to pounce on them, though, is it? Haven't we all made obvious mistakes?

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I don't think anyone is pouncing, it's more of reminding the people why this forum has stayed informative and fun. Fitting in, doesn't mean you have to conform, just respect the people and the rules that have made the forum successful.

To be honest, I don't know why this thread was started, but I take it as nothing more than a reminder.

The mix of different people, from different places is one of the things that makes this place attractive. Different view points are welcome, but be cautious that you are not commenting for the purpose of offending.

I don't even know why I am posting in this thread - carry on.

Rabies
May 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
As far as I can tell, the only person that used all caps (on a couple words) today, was me...and I only used caps to emphasize a couple words. Hardly shouting...

I'm starting to feel kind of singled out here...:confused:

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
As far as I can tell, the only person that used all caps (on a couple words) today, was me...and I only used caps to emphasize a couple words. Hardly shouting...

I'm starting to feel kind of singled out here...:confused:

Add your new guitar to your signature and you will feel better.

I think somethings here are taking the forefront of the discussion that maybe should now climb into the backseat. We need to get down to some discussion on how to form a chord, how to build a guitar, how to approach learning and of course, how the hell does Spudman turn his truss rod three full turns?:D

Rabies
May 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I'm starting to wonder if I really need to be here.

thearabianmage
May 25th, 2008, 04:25 PM

I know what you mean, I feel the same way. Just stick it out, you never know when you may need someone's help, or if someone needs your help. :AOK:

oldguy
May 25th, 2008, 05:40 PM

If I were to make a wild guess, although I don't know you, Rabies, I would say you are a strong personality type, like myself. Don't just take your ball and bat and leave, if I can ask a favor, stick around a little longer.
You're a good egg, obviously, and outspoken, and that's a good thing.
TheFret is the best site I've seen for guitar related subjects.
Please don't let it be another H/C or FDP denigrated into something less than it should be. You have a right to your opinion, let's just be laid back, OK?
Hey, I'm just asking a favor here.........

stingx
May 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM
http://img130.echo.cx/img130/5329/bestthreadever5cw.gif

oldguy
May 25th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks, Pete...... ( "the" strong personality, I might add...). :D
If Sting sees the brotherhood of this place, and he does, I think we all can.
Let's trade info about what we know, and screw the personality differences, OK?
I've learned more about guitar here in the last two years than you can imagine.......... let's keep it that way, and learn to play.
All I had to do was invest the time to practice, and resist surfing the 'net to pacify my brain, PLAY the guitar, not read about it, buy more stuff, compete w/ anyone, try and be an expert, just PLAY YER GUITAR, ............. OK????
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :bravo: :bravo: :beer:

stingx
May 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Oldguy, I think this place absolutely rocks and I participate on a boatload of various forums - I have way too many hobbies :)

I wish I could participate more, especially on collabs and such but I have a 5 month old and, as much as I enjoy hanging here, I love spending my time with him.

Oh, and I can't help having a strong personality, living in the land of cement shoes and being timid just doesn't work, ya know? OOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Jipes
May 26th, 2008, 03:46 AM
It's all laid out fairly clear in the 'Posting Rules' thread http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6037.

Fretiquette - Am I wrong to think that text typed in ALL CAPS is generally perceived as a form of shouting?

:beer:

Usually yes and on every forums as well, but some beginners forget sometimes to remove the caps button :thwap: :D

Spudman
May 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Usually yes and on every forums as well, but some beginners forget sometimes to remove the caps button :thwap: :D

I think it all comes down to reading what you just wrote BEFORE you post it. Is it appropriate? Does it follow the thread? Did I do spell check? Does it comply with the forum rules?
Those sort of things make up etiquette as well. Just because a person can reply to a post doesn't mean they have to. Discretion plays a large part in etiquette.

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 09:24 AM
True, but we all have our moments and at times our writing isn't completely a reflection of what we are responding to, but at times a summary of the day we had. I think the forum provides a margin for error, just as long as it doesn't become a habitual error.

IMHO and my $0.02

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I think everyone just needs to chill. So what if it is all caps, doesn't make it any worse or better than it all being lower-case. And sometimes, the most hurtful things have perfect grammar. Just chill out, all. The text on our screens are just a bunch of dots lined up in a specific order as to represent a set of symbols that have meanings and associations affiliated with them. :D

I know. . . why don't we all go and play guitar?

hubberjub
May 28th, 2008, 09:12 PM
If I type in all red does it make me seem angry?That assumption would make me sad
Then I listen to the other players on this forum and I get envious.
Like a coward I run away.

hubberjub
May 28th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Sorry. Just being a dork. This is the friendliest forum on the net. The egos seem to be mostly in check and people realize that constructive criticism is much more effective then just putting someone down. There isn't a single member of this board who I couldn't learn a thing or two from.

thearabianmage
May 29th, 2008, 09:18 AM
There isn't a single member of this board who I couldn't learn a thing or two from.

Very, very well said. Kudos 50x. This applies to us all. There isn't a single person on this board who can't learn at least one thing from every other person on this board. Anyone who believes differently is either arrogant or a fool. And, from what I've seen so far, there aren't many, if any, arrogant people (or fools for that matter) in this forum.

Let's keep it that way.

just strum
May 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Very, very well said. Kudos 50x. This applies to us all. There isn't a single person on this board who can't learn at least one thing from every other person on this board. Anyone who believes differently is either arrogant or a fool. And, from what I've seen so far, there aren't many, if any, arrogant people (or fools for that matter) in this forum.

Let's keep it that way.

Hell, I learn at least one thing a day on this forum. Some major, some minor (no pun intended).

thearabianmage
May 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hell, I learn at least one thing a day on this forum. Some major, some minor (no pun intended).

Let's hope that doesn't diminish (pun intended)

Robert
May 29th, 2008, 01:25 PM
The jokes are flat out sharp today... ;)

thearabianmage
May 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
The jokes are flat out sharp today... ;)

I don't mean to spoil the harmony, but we'll just have to scale it down a tone or two because the quality of the witticisms are causing me to fret. . . .

thearabianmage
May 29th, 2008, 03:02 PM
And dischordance is definately out of key with this forum. . . (okay I'm done!)

Robert
May 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I will make a note of what you said. :whatever:

thearabianmage
May 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Kudos. You are the pun king. I am done. There's no shame being topped by the best. :AOK:

just strum
May 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
This sort of got off topic, but somehow we managed to bridge the two together.

Katastrophe
May 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I have no choice but to agree with Robert and the rest of the staff on this issue. They are dominant, and that is key. Ultimately, they determine the mode of conversation on this forum.:D

Now, let us rest.;)

sunvalleylaw
May 29th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Come on, we need to stay in a-chord here at the fret.

thearabianmage
May 30th, 2008, 05:59 AM
. . . . *groan*

warren0728
May 30th, 2008, 07:12 AM
i've been keeping tabs on this thread and it is getting quite silly! :D

ww

just strum
May 31st, 2008, 05:44 AM
i've been keeping tabs on this thread and it is getting quite silly! :D

ww

GeE, I cAn't Deny it, I've Got to Be agreeing with Warren

thearabianmage
May 31st, 2008, 08:10 AM

I hope it didn't take you longer than 5 minutes to imagine and execute that!:D
:rotflmao: :AOK:

just strum
May 31st, 2008, 08:12 AM
I hope it didn't take you longer than 5 minutes to imagine and execute that!:D
:rotflmao: :AOK:

I started two days ago, the labor wasn't worth the results.:thwap:

sunvalleylaw
May 31st, 2008, 08:17 AM
Maybe start a sestina on it. ;-) See how long that takes.

thearabianmage
May 31st, 2008, 08:25 AM
I started two days ago, the labor wasn't worth the results.:thwap:

Well, the thought was there, and that's all that counts *pat pat* :D

warren0728
May 31st, 2008, 09:22 AM
i'm honored (and also have a new sig!) :bravo: :beer:

ww

just strum
May 31st, 2008, 10:10 AM
i'm honored (and also have a new sig!) :bravo: :beer: