PDA

View Full Version : Another 2008 Washburn D10S

luvmyshiner
May 25th, 2008, 04:12 PM
My lovely child bride won't brag on herself, but I have no problem doing so. Her office always adopts a pet charity that they do things for during the year. For the last two years it has been the "Rainbow Room" a storehouse for clothes, toys, and necessities provided to children who have been removed from their homes by Child Protective Services.

For the second year in a row, CB purchased a Washburn D10S and donated it to be raffled, with the proceeds being donated to the Rainbow Room. The 2008 D10S came in Friday, and today I threw a decent set of strings on her and cleaned her up a bit. Thought y'all might like to see a few pictures.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/2008%20D10S/P5250001.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/2008%20D10S/P5250002.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/2008%20D10S/P5250005.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/2008%20D10S/P5250006.jpg

So here's the good and bad of it. The mahogany is stunning. It's lighter then my D10S, but absolutely beautiful. Also, now they're throwing in an extra saddle, plus it comes with the hardshell case.

The bad, there's a couple of spots where the workmanship is lacking. The fretboard is a little rough, and it was pretty dry.

The sound, very impressive. She sounds like a cannon. At any rate, thought y'all might like having a look.

Rabies
May 25th, 2008, 04:14 PM
You're going to raffle that for charity? That's awesome...wow!!:master:

Childbride
May 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM
i have several charities that i give to; battered women shelters, animal shelters, cancer research.

this one is closest to my heart. i see the children that are removed, and i know that in the dead of night, they come out with the clothes on their backs.

the foster families need basic supplies. it's part of my Life Work. to Help Make a Difference...

Kazz
May 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM
The accents in the grain on the top is visually stunning....somebody will be very lucky to win that guitar....and it is for a good cause too.

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 04:52 PM
It brings back fond memories:cry:

warren0728
May 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
i have several charities that i give to; battered women shelters, animal shelters, cancer research
cb....although i don't know you personally....you give off amazingly good karma and i am impressed with your passion....my best friend (we considered each other brothers) died of cancer and it had a profound effect on me (i was one of the only people who he would allow to see him in the final stages....he couldn't talk well because of the tumors invading his throat and mouth but we would sit for hours and just listen to music...ok that's enough....keyboard is getting a little blurry....

anyway shiner you are a lucky man....

ww

t_ross33
May 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM
it's part of my Life Work. to Help Make a Difference...

Good on ya, CB! :beer: If we all stepped up to the plate, the world would be a much better place, I'm sure.

Oh, the guitar is nice too ;)

Katastrophe
May 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM
CB, what you're doing with this is immesurable in its generosity. I had the opportunity to work with the Rainbow Room in my area in a prior career, and I have to tell you that they do an incredible job with very limited resources.

Also, they don't just work with children that have been removed. They supply clothing, food, toys, bikes, beds, school supplies and other household items to families that are in the system to prevent removal as well. As long as there is a need, they will supply it.

Good on ya, CB!:AOK: You should feel proud of doing this.

sunvalleylaw
May 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Way to go CB!

magoo
May 28th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Good for you CB, thanks for the pics shiner.

evenkeel
May 29th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks for "braggin on 'er" Shiner. Great story. CB, Nicely done. Congrats, Mazel Tov to all. :bravo: :bravo:

I don't own a d10 but have played a few in music stores. Very impressive entry level guitar. For the $$ I don't think you can do a whole lot better. Some lucky person will get a winner. :AOK:

Childbride
May 29th, 2008, 05:10 PM
thank all of you for some very kind comments. shiner asked me if he could post this thread to show off the guitar; i never wanted it to appear as a chest-thumping gesture. i do what i do because it needs to be done. pride is a big no no for me; that's not what i'm about.

i'm going to be scarce for about a month, i got the date on my gig. 6/19... so i'm not being rude, i'm just practicing. :)

thank you again for your kind words... :)

duhvoodooman
May 29th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Nice guitar. Nicer lady. :AOK:

Childbride
July 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
so the raffle was over the first week of july.

the winner of the guitar is one of the finest ladies i have ever met... actually, to be more specific, the winning ticket was purchased by her oldest son. [both of her sons play]

i made her promise to take a picture of his face when he got it...

then i disappeared from the office between court, legal conference, etc.

i saw her today for the first time since handing the guit over to her.

she sticks her head in my office to say hi and welcome me back.

i ask

"so how did it go?"

she says

"o, it just broke my heart, i have to tell you all about it...

i called y and he said 'you're calling me in the middle of the day?!? you WON THE GUITAR!!!'

'no, you won the guitar, it was your ticket, son'

'i'll be right over!!!'

so i walked into my house with the guitar, and my younger son saw it and his eyes lit up.

'mom, i WON?!?'

and it broke my heart.

'no, son, y's ticket won, it's his guitar'

he was so crestfallen, his shoulders slumped, and he was especially miserable when y burst into the house, played her [and kimmie, she sounded so beautiful], was wiping her down and just admiring her...

and now, i have to tell you (she says, head lowered) that a few years back, the boys had quite a falling out, and other than being civil at social gatherings, they haven't spoken, really, in years.

and y stopped playing the guitar, looked over at his brother, looked at me...

'mom, was it really my ticket? i want to see'

[she produced the ticket as evidence]

he looked at the guitar, looked at his brother.

looked at the guitar.

then he walked over to his brother and said

'please accept this as amends. i love you...'

and they hugged, and talked/played for hours after that,

and my co-worker was crying when she told me this.

i can't think of a happier, more wonderful thing to have happened to this guitar.

i just wanted to share that... it really, really made my day.

:)

warren0728
July 11th, 2008, 05:39 PM
what a great story....music is a powerful tool! :beer:

ww

Katastrophe
July 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Damn, some dust flew in my eyes, and now they're watering.

Beautiful story, CB. Anyone who says that music doesn't heal doesn't know a damn thing about anything.

warren0728
July 11th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Damn, some dust flew in my eyes, and now they're watering.
funny....it was dusty around here too! guess i better do some cleaning tomorrow! :thwap:

ww

Kazz
July 12th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Hey Warren.....can you come dust my place too....

darn you CB.....I owe you another one now :-)

evenkeel
July 12th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Allright CB you've just got to stop this. You've got 1/2 the grown men on the net in tears. Of course us whimpy acoustic players (Strum reference :poke: ) are totally unfazed. Not.

Nicely done CB. :bravo:

sunvalleylaw
July 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Dang it. What a beautiful story. Oh, and I think something in the air must be triggering my allergies, my darn eyes are watering again over here too.

warren0728
July 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hey Warren.....can you come dust my place too....
oh yeah....that'll happen.... :rotflmao: :poke:

ww

tjcurtin1
July 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
And none of these kinds of good things that human beings make happen ever make the news... Good to be reminded of the bright side of human interactions. Like T Ross said...

F_BSurfer
July 13th, 2008, 06:10 AM
And none of these kinds of good things that human beings make happen ever make the news... Good to be reminded of the bright side of human interactions. Like T Ross said...

Totally agree

Childbride
July 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM
her total joy in what transpired between her sons and watching the expressions in her face as she told the story made me teary-eyed, as well...

Simon
September 3rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Wow.... Just popped in for the first time in months, goes to Acoustics and finds this. :bravo: Awsome...

Allright CB you've just got to stop this. You've got 1/2 the grown men on the net in tears. Of course us whimpy acoustic players (Strum reference :poke: ) are totally unfazed. Not.

+1 :cool: