PDA

View Full Version : GFS pups in a new '07 Squire Std Telecaster

Duff
May 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM
My pups in my Squite Std tele just don't sound anywhere near as good as my Peavey's and new G&L Tribute ASAT Classic with typical tele pup arrangement.

I was wondering if anyone has put the GFS pups in a Squire tele and how they compared to the stock ones. I see GFS has those rails for the tele imports and I would imagine the Squire tele is considered an import. Actually I think I want to stay with the vintage or vintage modern type pickups.

Anyone have any ideas or experience in this?

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

Rabies
May 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
My pups in my Squite Std tele just don't sound anywhere near as good as my Peavey's and new G&L Tribute ASAT Classic with typical tele pup arrangement.

I was wondering if anyone has put the GFS pups in a Squire tele and how they compared to the stock ones. I see GFS has those rails for the tele imports and I would imagine the Squire tele is considered an import. Actually I think I want to stay with the vintage or vintage modern type pickups.

Anyone have any ideas or experience in this?

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

I'm interested in input on this, too. Just acquired a Squier Affinity Tele (and I LOVE IT), and I'm pretty sure that some better pickups would set it off even more. Some GFS pickups would seem like the most immediate solution, cost efficiency wise.

marnold
May 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Have you guys ever checked out the Squier '51 modders' forum (http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=1)? I know that this thread is not about '51s but GFS pickups have been used in a lot of '51s because they are inexpensive. Lots of good info to dig through there.

Duff
May 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Cool on the '51 thread. I'll check it out.

My Squire Std. Telecaster sounds completely different from the '51. The stock pups are okay but I'm checking into replacing them with possibly some GFS that would sound real nice. They have a few options on their page. Probably a lot of people have put them in teles.

Duff

marnold
May 25th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Otherwise, when I had a Tele, one of the pickups I considered was the GFS alnico fatbody. I've heard really good things about them.

Duff
May 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks Marnold.

I'll check out the GFS page and look at the fat bodies. They have the humbucker rails in three different levels but I think I want more of a vintage sound with some thump. Like those Peavey's and my G&L. They have nice full sounds to them, not shrill.

I'm spoiled by the Peavey's and the G&L I got on a trade. I know there is something I can do to that Squire Std tele to make it sound better. I think it has really cheap pickups in it. Fender makes some tele pickups I might even consider, vintage noisless I think.

Thing is you could practically buy a new Peavey tele copy for the price of a set of vintage noisless pups. That's where GFS starts to look realistic and if the product is something you can like, it makes sense.

I only bought one GFS pickup and it was a little killer that I put in the bridge of a SX strat copy. It resulted in a vastly improved bridge pup. It was hot and that is what I wanted. GFS "cool rails" might be worth checking out.

Duffy

Duffy

Spudman
May 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Duff
I've got a Fatbody and a Repro 60s bridge pickup I'll make you or anyone else a fair deal on. They are like new.

robert43
May 26th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Hi I have installed GFS hot rails out of a work mates Squire strat & they were great . GFS are great value I recommend them , they are not as good as say S&D etc but then the cost is nothing like S&D etc . I say go for it

t_ross33
May 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I installed the GFS "Lil Puncher" rail in the bridge position of my tele (see the "Modifying My Vintage Modified (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6735)" thread. I think it's a great p'up and one you'd be happy with. Add the push-pull and tap it for single coil, but the Vintage Modern option I selected seems to keep its "Tele-tude" while offering more punch and hum-cancelling without entering humbucker-crunch territory.

For $30 it's worth the price of admission :bravo:

Spudman
May 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
t_ross

They made 3 versions of the Lil Puncher. Which one did you get? Vintage-Standard -Hot?

t_ross33
May 26th, 2008, 07:22 PM
t_ross

They made 3 versions of the Lil Puncher. Which one did you get? Vintage-Standard -Hot?
"Modern Vintage", 10K output. A little beefier than a standard Tele bridge p'up, but still plenty of Spank in the Tank, if ya know what I mean.

EDIT: The other versions of the Lil Puncher XL are Cool Vintage (5.5K) and Modern Lead (15K)

Spudman
May 26th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks. That is the one that interested me.

robert43
May 27th, 2008, 02:41 AM
When I did my freinds he got the 3 set well worth the $ & yes we did the coil tapping what 1 did was install 3 micro wsitch along with the 5 way switch.
Too many switchs for me but the I think a Guitar has 2 too many strings:D