PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

Mark
April 28th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I want to be able to start recording with my computer so here is my game plan. As far as computer I have the horse power AMD 4800 2 gigs of very fast ram on a DFI MB. I m gonna pick up Guitar tracks pro, Acoustica beatcraft and a Pod XT. Ill use this with my nice new strat and Vox AD50VT. This is for my personal enjoyment and as a practice aid. I realise I might want a more sophsticated set up when I want to go to work on my up coming album which will surely go "Aluminum" LOL Any advise as usual is appreciated.

Tim
April 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Why not try Audacity recording software first? It free on the internet.

Spudman
April 28th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Mark
That sounds like the ticket. Audacity (free), Pod XT (Nelskie's gonna love ya), Strat (I love ya), AD50 (everyone else loves ya), and inspiration. You do have that don't you? If not I think you can download it from the web. And plenty of computer power and Beatcraft.

You are set my man. Now for the learning curve. There are some really good recordings being made with exactly those tools. I've been doing some research too and the only thing you might be missing is an instant (just add H2O) real drummer for those special moments. Otherwise...

I think you are now officially set for a while.

Mark
April 28th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Ahhhhh!!! Feel the love in the room......I picked it all up today and getting it all set up as we speak. I gotta tell ya this PaPaPaPODxt it the schnizt especially headphones on! I tried the demo of GT pro and like the overall feel been foolin with the beacraft demo for a few days so I just bucked up and got it all today. It should be a fun rewarding challenge. Now when I tried all this twenty years ago there wasnt the technology or the money. But now that Im a grown-up LOL I can do this right. I long to see that "Aluminum" platter on my office wall someday LMAO....Platinum is so over-rated ya know. The new Strat is still got my jaw dropped cant keep my hands off of it.

One thing to add, maybe cause Im more mature (freakin old fart) I now find myself practicing better and concentrating on HOW to make the instrument speak. Where as in my early days it was more about trying to learn the song of the day with-out much attention payed to the detail of making my guitar speak for me. (also factor in partying an impressin da wimens too LOL) Hope this makes sense? Gettin older suxs in some ways but it some ways its nice as with maturity it brings more patience and discipline at least for me it has.
Babbling over LOL

warren0728
April 29th, 2006, 07:12 AM
congrats on getting your recording gear...of course now we expext to hear some tunes from ya!

ww

aeolian
April 29th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I have spent more than 30 years on the guitar too, not that you can tell, and recording is really good way to see whether any of the stuff I come up with can actually sound half way decent.

Home recording is fun and also frustrating, but definitely worth the effort.

Nelskie
April 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Mark - Congrats on all of the new gear goodies. I might make one comment on using your POD XT, and I may be repeating myself if you've already browsed some of my past posts on it. If you're planning on running as a pre-amp through your Vox AD, you might want to be aware that the amp's tonal character will indeed affect the amp / cab models of your POD. And being that you're mixing two primarily digital signals, it could result in some things that aren't all that pleasing sound-wise. Digital on digital usually has a tendency to do this. Running it through your 'phones, or direct-in to your computer will give you a truer rendition of what the POD XT is actually doing with its models, so you can certainly get a good feel for its overall usability by doing that. If you're like me, though, you might eventually want to condsider using your POD live, or close-mic'ing it using an amplifier. Recently, I have focused some of my own playing / recording efforts using these tactics, and have been pleasantly surprised at the overall tone and feel of POD XT's models.

Also, make sure you head over to the Line 6 website, and get the new software update. This will add some new amp models and effects to those that already come with it. Two of the new amp models are a 1974X Marshall 2x12 combo, and an Orange AD30TC, both which have some very tasty tone. Here's the link:

http://www.line6.com/podxt/version3.html

I look forward to hearing what you think about the POD XT, esp. as you become more familiar with its features.

Mark
April 30th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks Nelskie, one question when I run the Pod through my computer Im trying to get rid of the latency Ihave a SB x-fi card and with the Guitar tracks pro I cant get it below 10.0 msec which is noticeable with the lowest buffers. have your run into this? Any tips?

Nelskie
April 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Personally, I haven't experienced any noticeable latency problems while using my PODxt, but have read on several Line 6 forums of others who have experienced this. So far, I have heard all kinds of different things, including hardware-based issues (soundcards & thier software drivers); connections (cables, USB ports); Line 6 software drivers, internal clipping, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't read of any real clear-cut solutions to this issue, probably due to the fact that it's source isn't always readily definable, and the variance of latency can vary greatly between different types of computer applications. Here are a few things that you should try:

1.) Update your software & drivers at the Line 6 website
2.) Make sure your connection points and cables are good.
3.) Watch your channel volume - excessive channel vol. causes internal "clipping", which you will see being noted on the control window of your PODxt.

Beyond that, it'll end up being a solution by the process of elimination. My other suggestion would be to go to the Line 6 user's forum, and see if there's anything posted there: http://line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

While I do use my PODxt direct-in to my computer, I most often run it into my Zoom MRS-8 digital recorder when I'm tracking stuff. I haven't had any problems at all using that method. From there, I transfer my track(s) via the removable SD card, thru the card reader, and into my computer using Zoom's card reader software. And from there, I can pull it into my propreitary recording / production program i.e. Sony Acid Music Studio.

warren0728
April 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I most often run it into my Zoom MRS-8 digital recorder when I'm tracking stuff. I haven't had any problems at all using that method. From there, I transfer my track(s) via the removable SD card, thru the card reader, and into my computer using Zoom's card reader software. And from there, I can pull it into my propreitary recording / production program i.e. Sony Acid Music Studio.
i've been looking at that zoom mrs-8 recorder. Are you happy with it's quality and sound?

ww

Spudman
April 30th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I've got the Zoom 1044 recorder minus a burner but with the USB add on. It is very good and I have no plans to ever get rid of it. The ONLY bad thing about it is programing rhythm. It is not very easy. The drum and percussion sounds are real good as are the amp emulations. They actually sound better in the recorded mix than by themselves. I've had no problems with the unit or its 40 gig hard drive.
I know the model you are asking about is different. I still think the Zoom recorders are quality units.

Nelskie
April 30th, 2006, 04:28 PM
i've been looking at that zoom mrs-8 recorder. Are you happy with it's quality and sound? ww
Very much so. Since this is my first foray into home-based recording, however, I don't have anything else to compare it to. But I've recorded with it using just about every different way I can - direct-mic, direct-in, and using the Zoom amp / cab emulations that are included with it, and have had excellent results. Like Spudman said, programming the drums can be a somewhat tedious process, but I've worked around task that by employing the Tony Brock: Rock Drummer loop CD, which I use with my Sony Acid Music Program. Much easier, and sounds just as good, or better. The drum program on the Zoom I employ mostly as a way to keep time for laying down guitar and bass tracks, and for that it works nicely. Since the Zoom also includes a variety of amp / cab simulations (same as those found on the G2), it also doubles as a nice tool for everyday practice. Plus, it's a snap to lay down recording ideas - you just plug in, hit record, and let 'er rip.

I think these units are running around $275 - $300, and for all of the features the MRS-8 has, I think it's quite a bargain. Overall, it's decent, and cost-effective way to get your feet wet with a stand-alone digital audio worksation. Much of what you learn using this unit will parlay itself into the larger, and more complex digital recording units, should you decide to upgrade down the road. ;)

Mark
April 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Alright solved my latency problem. Instead of useing the USB on the Pod I ran the output to my line-in on the X-fi. All is fine now.

Nelskie
April 30th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah - good idea to bypass the USB. Many have cited that as a primary cause.

warren0728
April 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Plus, it's a snap to lay down recording ideas - you just plug in, hit record, and let 'er rip.
yeah that's why i'm interested in it....have been looking at one at ron's....i like how small it is and think it would be better than lugging my powerbook around to record with.

Alright solved my latency problem. Instead of useing the USB on the Pod I ran the output to my line-in on the X-fi. All is fine now.
that's great mark...have fun!

SuperSwede
May 1st, 2006, 01:28 AM
The ONLY bad thing about it is programing rhythm. It is not very easy. The drum and percussion sounds are real good as are the amp emulations.

Do you have midi on that one? If so you could buy a cheap old roland drum machine and use that to trig the internal beats. They are so much easier to program, and comes with really groovy patterns.

Nelskie
May 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM
Do you have midi on that one? If so you could buy a cheap old roland drum machine and use that to trig the internal beats. They are so much easier to program, and comes with really groovy patterns.

Swede - The MRS-8 has midi, and your post has tweaked my interst in trying that method out. Could you explain the process a bit more, in relation to the programming part of it? The drum sounds that come in the Zoom units are very good, IMHO, and making it drum tracks easier to program might make that feature more useful to me. Thanks!

SuperSwede
May 1st, 2006, 09:47 AM
You can use any external midi unit to trigger the internal sounds of the Zoom. For example you can try to connect it to a midi interface and play some midi rhythm files in a midi player/Sequencer. Connect the midi OUT on the midi interface to the Midi IN, select channel 10 (which is the GM standard for drums via Midi) and start jammin´ :)
There is a lot of freeware midi drum patterns to be found on the web, google is your best friend for that. You can also use a midi keyboard to record your own beats.
If you buy a old roland drum machine (any brand with midi out will do but Roland really has the best grooves imho). You can connect it to the Zoom via midi and the patterns you choose on the drum machine should play through the Zoom with its drum sounds. Also, a real drum machine is so much easier to program.
You can read more about various drum machines / keyboards here: http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/_inc/type.cfm?type=drum

SuperSwede
May 3rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Nelskie, I checked out the MRS-8 and I am sorry to say that it only has midi Out, which means that you are stuck with the internal patterns/programming. But you could of course still purchase a separate drum machine and record it on a audio track.

tremoloman
May 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM
There is another great audio tool called "Sound Forge" which I highly recommend. It takes a ton of CPU to use but has lots of great features.

I use it to clean up old LPs I've converted to audio CDs.

Here's more info:
Sony Media Software - Sound Forge 8 and Sound Forge Audio Studio (http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/soundforgefamily.asp)

You can find this one the internet pretty cheap if you look hard enough ;)