PDA

View Full Version : Gigged out today, got rained on, didn't fry.

sunvalleylaw
May 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM
On the anniversary of my first gig, ( see http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3323): ), we played there again. All the same guys as last time (three guitars, a bass, a keyboard), but with no drummer this time. He was not available. Got a lot of nice complements. I was playing with my former instructor, and my current instructor had played just before me and was doing our sound.

He told me the difference between this year and last was huge, and that my playing was a lot more expressive and fluid. I like that. Of course, I could hear a bunch of clams I don't do when playing at home. Also, I did well on the song I was worried about, (Black Magic Woman, and I set the tone with the intro licks), and clammed on a song I was not worried about in the least. Typical.

Also, just as we were setting up, an afternoon rain storm moved in. We were under a canopy on a trailer, but the rain got in a little anyway. I kept grounded items separate from other grounded items and did not fry myself. Thanks Spud again for the coaching on that point. (if you are going to touch your amph, hold your guitar by the body and not the strings, stuff like that).

Bottom line, it was fun, again, and it always improves me to do it.

just strum
May 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I read about this reunion concert in Rolling Stone, but forgot that it was today.

:AOK: :AOK: :AOK:

Algonquin
May 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Glad you had fun and didn't fry SVL... that would not have been good.

Any pics from the set? Would love to see some.

Cheers Steve :beer:

Spudman
May 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Good job Sunny Boy.:AOK:

I played today too but inside. We had a pretty good crowd and some guest musicians. I started to fizzle out after about 4 1/2 hours of continual playing. I rode 2 1/2 hours on my bicycle and only got a Powerbar and a coke afterward because I had to hustle to the gig.

Robert
May 25th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Great to hear, Steve. Gigging is fun! Hope you do lots more.

sunvalleylaw
May 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Glad you had fun and didn't fry SVL... that would not have been good.

Any pics from the set? Would love to see some.

Cheers Steve :beer:

Thanks guys. My wife did not have the camera with her. One of the other family members may have. I will see what I get my hands on and if any are good. Oh yeah, I did NOT wear Crocs this time. LOL!!!! But I likely will again sometime. :AOK:

Spud, glad you had a good set, and a good ride as well!

sunvalleylaw
June 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Watch those hands!
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P1010286.jpg

I am now going to drool on my guitar.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P1010285.jpg

Note the packed out dance floor.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P1010288.jpg

It was fun to play, even if my allergies were acting up, it was raining cats and dogs, and we had no drummer. Who am I kidding anyhow. I love playing out!

warren0728
June 11th, 2008, 10:08 PM
you were one with your guitar! did you use canned drums or just do without?

ww

sunvalleylaw
June 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Just did without. When I was playing rhythm on one song, I even tried to make a percussive type "beat" by grabbing and releasing the strings in rhythm. Seemed to help. These guys seem to naturally stay in time with one another pretty well (me included), and Mike with his big Martin can set the rhythm for the most part. The sound was decent, but I prefer it with the drummer.

SuperSwede
June 12th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Man that strat looks great Steve! :)

Looks like you guys had a blast!

Spudman
June 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Uh oh! I just noticed that you have a purple AND red shirt on.:nono:

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2008, 09:48 AM
No way man, Dogtown navy blue on the t-shirt.

Spudman
June 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Well it looks purple on my monitor. Anyway...you aren't really wearing a watch while you're playing are you? :poke: :)

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
We didn't have a drummer, I was using it to keep time. ;-)

Man that strat looks great Steve! :)

Looks like you guys had a blast!

Thanks Swede. I am glad that I was lucky enough to get it as my first electric. I am sure you will enjoy your new strat too. It is really a looker!

warren0728
June 12th, 2008, 11:11 AM
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Spudman
June 17th, 2008, 12:13 AM

Touche' Bonaparte. :)

M29
June 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Looks purple to me Steve:D

What a blast that must have been, I can't wait until I can play out and outside as well. Clips Clips Clips.
Your Strat looks sweet:rockon:

M29