PDA

View Full Version : Some songs, just for you! :D

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Here are a few little things I've written - but before you listen to them, let me just note a few things:

1 - some of the equipment I used is ghetto!!! And other equipment and programs, even after over a year, I am still trying to learn - so the quality will be a sort of mish-mash. Generally speaking, the better sounding songs I have done more recently.

2 - There are no drummers in Draycott. There was, some dude named Will Sealey, and he is bloody amazing, but unfortunately he's been nabbed by a bunch of old dudes in London. SO. . .I am using a stupid program designed for hip-hop to sequence my drums. I try and vary them about and keep it interesting, but they do grate.

3 - I am no producer. I try, but as a general rule that I heard once, the person who wrote the song should not master/produce it. I don't know why that is, but I have thrown that rule in the toilet. And I think it is obvious. So please don't be too harsh on the production :D

4 - The best way to listen to my music is through good headphones or a good system where you can discriminate between left and right speakers. Steve Vai is an influence on me in many ways and moving around from right to left speakers, doubling (tripling, quadrupling), layers, all of that is common use for me.

Now the songs, a little background for each:

Arabmetal - not much to say about this one. Just a bit of fun, really.

Colossus of Bronze - The first proper rawker I wrote.

People Person - I spoke the lyrics because I couldn't sing then (still can't, but I'm a lot better now) - and this song was recorded using a £10 computer mic (with the bendy neck) put up to my little giddy amp and I was using movie soundtrack software called Adobe Audition to record into. Be careful with the ending, I didn't know what clipping was when I recorded this, but I tried to cover it up by fading out.

Mankind - this is a very very full mix. The vocals are no good, but somehow don't seem to detract from the music. Nothing is improvised here, and everything is, at the very least, doubled-up. The 'solo' bit at the end has 4 layers. . . 1 extreme left and right, 1 mid-left and right . . .

I Want Your Lovin' - I did this in an hour. You can tell.

The Black Mage - The original. There's something alchemical about this particular recording. I've tried rearranging it and re-recording it over 10 times (seriously) but the first has remained the best. It's very different from the video version.

The Wanderer - Just another bit of fun.

I've tried doing them all in one, but can't so I'll put the rest on another thread.

I hope y'all enjoy them. Feedback is very welcome!

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I'll try and do the rest here. . .

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I can't get People Person here, so if you want to check that one out (it is okay) go to:

sunvalleylaw
May 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks, we are just waking up here. I will take some time later and give a listen.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks, we are just waking up here. I will take some time later and give a listen.

Idaho. . . would it be 8:28 or 9:28 there?

sunvalleylaw
May 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM
It was 8:28a when you posted here. We got to sleep in a little for the Memorial Day holiday.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 08:36 AM
It was 8:28a when you posted here. We got to sleep in a little for the Memorial Day holiday.

You are 7 hours behind me. . . cool!:D

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I listened to them all and although I am not a metal fan, I will be listening to them again. That is my best critique by saying it interested me enough that I plan on listening again.

Since it's not my style of music it's difficult to really provide anymore feedback.

First pass I would say Mankind, I Want Your Lovin, and The Wander caught my attention. I am a fan of the 2.5 to 3 minute song and I was surprised that Mankind caught my attention.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I am a fan of the 2.5 to 3 minute song and I was surprised that Mankind caught my attention.

Thanks a lot, dude! One of my 'things' as far as song-writing and recording is to make songs that. . .well. . . are very atmospheric. With Mankind and People Person, I notice that most people who listen to them stare in the same direction for the entirety of the song. That is my goal (whether they like the music or not)

But it's all good, cheers for listening to them! :AOK: :beer:

marnold
May 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Here's some brief comments on several of them:

Arabmetal: I liked it--found myself headbanging without realizing it.

Colossus of Bronze: At the beginning I had some Iron Maiden flashbacks (that's a good thing, BTW)

I Want Your Lovin': Sounds like something that Joe Satriani might have been working on.

The Black Mage: I like this one as always, although your more recent efforts at it seem to have a bit more energy. I can't really describe it.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Here's some brief comments on several of them:

Arabmetal: I liked it--found myself headbanging without realizing it.

Colossus of Bronze: At the beginning I had some Iron Maiden flashbacks (that's a good thing, BTW)

I Want Your Lovin': Sounds like something that Joe Satriani might have been working on.

The Black Mage: I like this one as always, although your more recent efforts at it seem to have a bit more energy. I can't really describe it.

Hey, thanks dude! :AOK:

And I know what you mean about The Black Mage. I do like the extra 40bpm change I made to it for the video, but there is just something about this particular recording. .. .

Cheers, again