PDA

View Full Version : Barby Slide Gig on Friday

Robert
May 26th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Yep, ol' Rob is doing a slide guitar gig! Someone called and wanted slide guitar for a neighborhood barby, so I had to accept that offer! :bravo:

I'll play some acoustic slide through my Vox AD50VT and grab a few grilled burgers in between sets. Should be good. No :pancake: served this time.

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I thought you were talking about one of these

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/barbie.jpg

Seriously, I couldn't figure what the he77 you were thinking.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM
The thought had crossed my mind, too. . .

Robert
May 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I thought you were talking about one of these

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/barbie.jpg

Is that your kind of weekend fun, just strum? :D

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
To answer your question - Robert, meet Barbie

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/InvisibleBuck.jpg

luvmyshiner
May 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
That sounds sweet Robert. Keep us posted. And Strum knows full well that once you hit our age, you're move interested in food then you are in a plastic woman.:D

Robert
May 26th, 2008, 04:29 PM
That sounds sweet Robert. Keep us posted. And Strum knows full well that once you hit our age, you're move interested in food then you are in a plastic woman.:D

Dang right there. More interested in ready-made food than a deer head too. :)

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Dang right there. More interested in ready-made food than a deer head too. :)

Everyone keeps talking about that deer, I must not be linking the right picture.:D

warren0728
May 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Everyone keeps talking about that deer, I must not be linking the right picture.:D
what deer?... :whatever: :D

ww

piebaldpython
May 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Strum.............as to the pic; cute blondes are not nearly as rare as the deer with that NICE of a RACK!!! :rotflmao: Hence, why the deer gets all of the attention!! ahahaha

Robert
May 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Any suggestions for tunes? I haven't had much time to prepare for this gig. I hope they are not slide experts, or I will be fried! Looks like I'm gonna have to wing it. I'm no pro on slide, but I can improvise a few different blues tunes okay with a slide.

If there any "classic" simple slide tunes you think of - let me know today!!

I will do Vigilante Man by Ry Cooder, Rollin' and Tumblin, Hooche Coochie Man, and similar stuff.

Rabies
May 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Any suggestions for tunes? I haven't had much time to prepare for this gig. I hope they are not slide experts, or I will be fried! Looks like I'm gonna have to wing it. I'm no pro on slide, but I can improvise a few different blues tunes okay with a slide.

If there any "classic" simple slide tunes you think of - let me know today!!

I will do Vigilante Man by Ry Cooder, Rollin' and Tumblin, Hooche Coochie Man, and similar stuff.

I'm no pro on slide either. In fact, I've only noodled around with it a couple handful of times 'successfully'. Pick an open tuning...then get to know it a little bit, and then just wing it.

I feel like a tool trying to give Robert tips, but, this is just my experience with his question. I'm sure he'll have no problem.

marnold
May 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Any George Thoroughgood (sp?) song ever.

SuperSwede
May 31st, 2008, 12:32 AM
"I cant be satisfied" - Muddy Waters.. awesome awesome..

Listen to Keb Mo´s version..

piebaldpython
May 31st, 2008, 08:08 AM
Slide tunes, huh??? Let's see.....
Dust My Broom
Sweet Home Chicago
Roll Your Moneymaker

If Elmore James or Hound Dog Taylor played it, it's for slide!!

Robert
May 31st, 2008, 01:54 PM
I did the gig last night, and it went well. I played mostly slide, on both acoustic and electric. I basically just improvised; playing blues in different keys by slapping on the capo now and then. It was 99% 1-4-5 songs!

Once in a while I used my Tele in standard tuning and just played some finger style stuff. A new one I made an arrangement for is While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

They really liked it, and even sent me an email message today saying how positive the response was from the crowd.

The food was awesome and the evening was just really good in all ways. Can't complain about anything! Except I got lost getting there... but oh well.

Rabies
May 31st, 2008, 02:02 PM
I did the gig last night, and it went well. I played mostly slide, on both acoustic and electric. I basically just improvised; playing blues in different keys by slapping on the capo now and then. It was 99% 1-4-5 songs!

Once in a while I used my Tele in standard tuning and just played some finger style stuff. A new one I made an arrangement for is While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

They really liked it, and even sent me an email message today saying how positive the response was from the crowd.

The food was awesome and the evening was just really good in all ways. Can't complain about anything! Except I got lost getting there... but oh well.

A day of having fun with improv that people loved, and good food...sounds like win/win to me! :AOK:

warren0728
May 31st, 2008, 02:06 PM
sounds like a great time robert....glad it went well! :bravo: :beer:

ww