PDA

View Full Version : Mr r_a_smith3530 , whatch'ya thing?

ZoSo65
April 28th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I'm looking to get a bass, just to do some "by myself" recordings.
What do you think about this bass?
Peavey Millennium BXP 4-String (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=511369)
Just something to do at home stuff, I wouldn't gig with it. I'm not a bass player by heart, I've only "toyed" with them here and there, but I would like my bass lines to be "real" for my recordings.

Thanks

r_a_smith3530
April 29th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Allright ZoSo, I'm going to answer your question, but in two parts, because you actually asked two questions.

First, I like Peavey's stuff, and that includes the Millenium BXP. I don't know who in Korea is making these for Hartley, but their quality is decent for the price asked. Now, personally, I would look for a used one (unless you just have to pay full price. I see them all the time, at local guitar shops, at GC, and at Music-Go-Round.

Now, I'm going to ask you to think about what you said above. You want your home recorded bass lines to be "real," yet you readily admit that you've only "toyed" with the bass. I've "toyed" with a Coronet, but I wouldn't think myself anywhere near competent enough to play one on something that I was recording, at least not if I wanted a decent quality recording.

The bass is not just an overgrown, four-string guitar played at 3/4 speed. It's a different instrument with a different purpose.

If you wanted some nice sax lines on your recording, would you ask someone who "toyed around" with the sax?

Anyway, that's my opinion on the matter. YMMV. Keep in mind though, that even a first rate pro guitar slinger like SRV turned to Tommy Shannon when it came to laying down the bottom end! As good as Townsend is, he pretty much left holding down the bottom to Entwistle.

ZoSo65
April 29th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Thanks Rob,,everything you said makes sense to me. yes, I do understand it's not just an overgrown, four-string guitar played at 3/4 speed.
Now, when I said I "toyed" with a bass, it was a little more then that, I actually did OK, the few times I played it, even though it wasn't a true song, it was more or less something I happened to "pluck" and we just jammed accordingly,,,this has happened quite a few times and to be honest, I liked it, so has the other members of the band. It's something we do once and a while at practice,,we all switch instruments and more or less, see what happens. What's really cool about doing so, is we come up with some really cool stuff!
When our bass player does his thing on a guitar, he mixes his playing style between a bass and guitar, and it sounds different in a good way, meanwhile our drummer is on another guitar, I usually end up on the drums, and/or the bass. To cut to the chase, it just plain sounds good when we do this,,,,I guess maybe it's because, we're just letting ourselves loose,,,being natural and letting the sounds be our guide.
Anyhoo, not to get off the subject anymore,,,,you think that Peavey is OK?
Also, I do want to learn some of the basic bass stuff too,,,a friend of mine actually learned to play the guitar by learning to play the bass first,,,might sound strange, and it still does to me, but it worked for him, and in a big way,,he's a fantastic guitar player, and bass player. As a matter of fact, him and the bass player, in there band, will actually switch instruments during there sets,,it's really pretty cool to see when they do that, it throws the crowd off and awes them at the same time.

Thanks again for the input Rob.

r_a_smith3530
April 29th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Sounds pretty wicked there ZoSo. Good luck, and like I said, see if you can find what you're looking for on the used market. If you check on eBay, there's a Tiger's Eye BXP 4 right now with a "Buy It Now" of $175.00. It's Item #7410732499.

warren0728
April 29th, 2006, 06:52 AM
i know nothing about bass guitars but i have a peavey predator (fat strat knockoff) that i bought in the early 90's. It is a really nice guitar, plays well, has good tone, frets are dressed nice....just an all around good guitar. Still one of my favorite guitars to play!

If the quality of their guitars is still the same my guess is you will love the bass.

Just a couple of cents from a non-bass guy.

ww

r_a_smith3530
April 29th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Warren, I'll bet you got your Predator around the same time that I got my Reactor! I bought both my Reactor, and then my Classic 50/410 in '94.