PDA

View Full Version : Did George Harrison steal this song?

Robert
May 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I've been reading about George Harrison lately. He got sued for copyright infringement for "My Sweet Lord". What do you think? Check these two songs - what is your thoughts about the similarities?

Chiffon's - "He's So Fine"
wJXc6JUOUc8

George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord"
_Ls8Mhoafn0

tjcurtin1
May 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Nonsense! If every song that had a similarity to another song made it 'illegal' we wouldn't have any music. Artists are always responding to what's around them - consciously and unconsciously - and using those elements to build new material with.

peachhead
May 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Personally, I think somebody was splitting hairs.
I know both songs and I don't think of either one when I'm listening to the other. But then again, I'm a Harrison fan and I've always liked that song.
I would imagine those sorts of similarities happen a lot (as I try to think of one and can't).

markb
May 26th, 2008, 08:56 PM
George was sued by the writers of Oh Happy Day, a hit for The Edwin Hawkins Singers in 1967. Part of his defence case was that they had in turn ripped off He's So Fine.

George lost the case.

Algonquin
May 26th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I think I'm with the other folks here... there isn't much left to be original about.

Recently I've read about claims of artists ripping off others, such as Avril Levigne's 'Girlriend' being too similar to the Rubinoo's 'I want to be your boyfriend'

I listened to a radio show recently that John Fogerty was taken to court (long ago) for allegedly sounding too similar to another song. Turns our he had written that other song, but signed away the rights to it in order to get away form his former management. In Court, he took his guitar and showed the Judge and Jury the differences, and had the charge thrown out. I thought it was interesting he was taken to court for copying himself... ahh the small world of big business.

Tone2TheBone
May 26th, 2008, 09:07 PM
What the...? Doo lang doo lang....against...Hare Krishna...Hare Krishna...Krishna Krishna...Hare Hare...??? Bollocks!

:)

TS808
May 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I remember ZZ Top getting sued for the riff of La Grange by John Lee Hooker. If you listen to the riff of La Grange in comparison to John Lee Hooker's song "Boogie Chillin"....it is an exact rip-off.

It happens alot though...take a listen sometime to SRV and you hear Albert King. Then take a listen to Kenny Wayne Shepherd and you hear SRV....it happens all the time. Even Jimmy Page was known for stealing blues riffs for a number of Led Zeppelin songs.

just strum
May 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
If you grow up listening to a lot of music and some of that music becomes your influence, you are going to imitate those artists.

Did George rip them off, probably not. Did George have that song buried in his head that it came out of him subconsciously, possible. Or did George write a song that eventually could be tied to another unintentionally, most likely.

A lot of songs can be written that took ideas from ten different songs, does that mean the ten artists can sue?

Okay, I'm going nowhere with this, so to sum it up - I doubt he ripped it off.

street music
May 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
NO DISRESPECT TO CB, dang lawyers looking for another meal. I really can't see suing because someone can put different words to the similar music and have a great song.

just strum
May 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
NO DISRESPECT TO CB, dang lawyers looking for another meal. I really can't see suing because someone can put different words to the similar music and have a great song.

So are you saying it as disrespect to the other lawyers here? You're setting yourself up for a lawsuit buddy. These guys get together and you are looking at having to assemble another "dream team" - call OJ, he might have some recommendations for you:D

luvmyshiner
May 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hmm, good point Strum. Ya' know Street, all I do is lay awake at night and think of ways to sue people, and I think you're next on the list.:reallymad:

Um, just in case you couldn't tell, I'm just kidding Street. Plus I'm primarily a family lawyer, so you don't have to worry about me suing you unless you piss off the wife, or get behind on your child support, or somthin'.:D

sumitomo
May 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Ya hear a catchy tune,It stays in your head and then you make it your own.Weird Al gets money and laughs when he does it?Go figure?Sumi:D

street music
May 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Sorry to you too JUST STRUM, dang lawyers, glad toknow there are a few around to help us out in a tight spot. Yes, I was kiddin too! I have several friends who practice law and I know what a bad rap they get at times, not all a ambulance chasers.

just strum
May 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Sorry to you too JUST STRUM, dang lawyers, glad toknow there are a few around to help us out in a tight spot. Yes, I was kiddin too! I have several friends who practice law and I know what a bad rap they get at times, not all a ambulance chasers.

One of the best things about lawyers, they like a good lawyer joke.

luvmyshiner
May 28th, 2008, 06:28 PM
not all a ambulance chasers.

Sniff . . . just the rich ones.:cry:

street music
May 29th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Now Shiner, don't go crying. Hey! That would be a great name for CBs next song. Maybe if I come up with names for songs then someone with more talent can put the words to it. Then I could sue them for stealing my ideas.
anyone know a lawyer who would take my case.

KrisH
May 29th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Now, could a lawyer be sued for stealing an iconic image?

When lawyers rock:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/kholt81936/Rockin-lawyersC.jpg

Only in Philadelphia . . .