PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an older xbox

ted s
May 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I have an xbox, not 360, the one before that. I never use it.
I have read that you can turn it into a Linux box, that's sounds pretty cool but does anyone know how you could turn it into some kind of media server or something like that ?

thearabianmage
May 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Apparently it takes a bit of hacking and removal of parts, I could be [very] wrong, though. . . I think a guitar forum is probably isn't the best place to start (sorry!) but I do know that you can download Linux via a few websites over the internet for free, so maybe the process isn't all that difficult. . . Good luck!

Oh, and it also voids warranty if you do that :D (I'm sure that's okay, isn't it?)

Danzego
May 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
You CAN turn it into a media server, but you would need to put a mod chip in. There are also soft mods, but you have to find certain version of one in a handful of games (they caused a buffer underrun that can be exploited or something of that fashion). I'm not sure if the soft mods allow for the media server mods, though. All of that info, including FAQS and tutorials and plenty of confusion, can be found at www.xbox-scene.com .

Beware, though, the place is crawling with elitist snobs. If you so much as ask a question on their forums that has been asked before and is answered in a FAQ anywhere on the site, some punk *** internet lifer chump is going to act like you're personally putting them out and give you a heap of grief....all because they can. :whatever:

What I did was had a buddy put in a solderless mod chip and add a 120GB HD when those were still considered big. I ripped my XBox games over to it (and, well, perhaps a few that I may have rented or a friend may have brought over *cough*). Also, the XBox has fantastic emulators for older systems, so the guy put a massive heap of ROMs on there and I threw a few on, myself, to make a nice retro videogame jukebox, of sorts.

Now if I could only find a way to turn older controllers into an XBox interface to use those instead of the regular controller, I would be set. :)