PDA

View Full Version : Fullerton guitars

Spudman
May 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Anyone remember those Fullerton guitars we got at those ridiculously low prices? I've been noticing that nobody is reselling them. It seems like folks are hanging on to them. I have check the auction site and Craigs and so far hardly anything shows up. Maybe they really are something after all.

I still have mine and I know Sunvalley does too. Anyone else?

Robert
May 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I have mine, well technically I gave it to our middle daughter, but.... :D

SuperSwede
May 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Daddy looks after it until she turns 18? ;)

Robert
May 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah, she is not playing that seriously that I can't borrow it, should I need to. Not that I do need to anyway - my SX and Fender strats are still better.

thearabianmage
May 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Looks like there's a couple in the UK. . . Are they any nice?

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=fullerton+guitar

The seller with the 'Buy it Now' has a classic little quote - well, it made I chuckle. . .

'i will not post abroad, because i cant be bothered, so dont ask as a poke in the eye often offends!'

Haha. . . :poke:

poke. . . .poke. . . .

marnold
May 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Well, my Fully bass wasn't resold because it was immediately put in the box and returned to Music 123. My guess would be that one reason for the lack of reselling is because they aren't worth anything monetarily speaking.

sunvalleylaw
May 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Mine is still here at the office, and gets plugged in to the old iMac regularly for a little work break practice now and then. I have a humbucker from Tone to mod it with, but never have done it. I also need to re-string it still, as the light, noodly stock ones just seem too floppy to me. I also am much more used to my 9.5 rad maple fretboard on my strat as opposed the the flatter rosewood one on the fully. I still hope to use is as a mod project to turn into some sort of splittable HSH monster strat. I think with new strings and pup improvements, it will be pretty good! As it is, it works great for practicing at work.

Interestingly, my son's SSS one (Mine is a HSS) seems more balanced or nicer sounding somehow. Must be my imagination, but there you have it. My son loves his, and it works great for him. He got his as part of the starter pack, and even the cheap little amp works good enough for him to practice with at home.

tjcurtin1
May 27th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Still have mine, and I love it - I find it a pleasure to play, it has a nice weight and feel, nice neck and fingerboard - I swapped the pickups for GFS classic alnico's which mellowed the sound. What's not to like - especially when I reflect on the $35. price tag! I couldn't get near enough for it to replace it with something better, I don't think.

ZMAN
May 27th, 2008, 06:34 PM
All I know is that George Fullerton was one of the main players in the design of the original prototype Strato Caster with Freddie Tavares, Bill Carson and of course Leo Fender. After the sale of Fender to CBS they had a no compete clause and had to stay out of the busines for a number of years.
So if he actually had anything to do with the guitars you can bet they are pretty good.
Spudman are you talking about the G&L guitars or is this something different.

Spudman
May 27th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Spudman are you talking about the G&L guitars or is this something different.

Something else Grasshopper. That's why the thread is "Fullerton guitars." It isn't G&L for sure. Don't tell me that you missed out on these when Music 123 was blowing them out. I got 3 of them for $27 each and free shipping.

I'll have to dig them out and take some pictures.

jasongins
May 27th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I still have my black ST4 "Fat Fully." I originally got it with the intentions of giving it as a gift to get someone else into guitar playing, but that never happened. I wound up keeping it for myself, and now I live in some sort of denial of the fact it is one of the better made guitars I own. I haven't sold because where on earth can I get another guitar, new in the box, for $27??!!

ZMAN
May 27th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I missed on that one for sure. I would love to see a picture of these.
For 27 dollars you probably couldn't buy the tuners!

Spudman
May 27th, 2008, 09:40 PM
They were incredible deals. Probably the best guitar under $500 I've ever played. They are incredibly well crafted and sound phenomenal. Too bad you missed out on such a great deal.

Sorry, I'm just teasing you. FWIW - I'm in love with the Squier Deluxe and it's already making me money.

sunvalleylaw
May 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I missed on that one for sure. I would love to see a picture of these.
For 27 dollars you probably couldn't buy the tuners!

He means these: First post has links to pics.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3019

This link also has pics and a bunch of the story.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957

tjcurtin1
May 28th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Don't miss this one - it's where I found out about it: complete with clips

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/fullerton_stratocaster/

sunvalleylaw
May 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah, that's a good link. Plus some great clips linked in that one. I wonder who that player is.

duhvoodooman
May 29th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Still got my ST4 "Fat Fully" (shoulda copyrighted that name, 'cuz I'm pretty sure I used it first ;)), though I haven't been playing it much lately due to it not being as readily accessible as my "main fivesome" which sit on stands in my playing room. But I still think it was just an amazingly good guitar at $99, much less the paltry $27 I paid for it during the Music123 blowout deal. I put about another ~$60 worth of upgrades in it (primarily new pickups), and it sounds great. And it has one of the best feeling & playing necks of any of my guitars, though I did have to file down a moderate case of fret sprout.

player
May 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM
FYI - it can still be had at both eBay and Amazon. < about $90 there.little more on eBay.did not know it was an Aria product either.G & L at eBay too last I looked

duhvoodooman
June 2nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
This post prompted me to pull the Fullerton ST4 off the chair it was propped on, dust it off, put on a new set of strings, and give it some much overdue attention. Reminded me again how amazingly well this little cheapo axe plays, and how good it sounds with the upgraded p'ups I put into it (GFS overwound Strat pickups at the neck and middle, and one of their Fat PAF humbuckers at the bridge). Gonna make sure I don't neglect it for so long again! :rockon: