PDA

View Full Version : Best Clapton?

just strum
May 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM
While we are waiting for the Helliott Report, what are your thoughts on some of the better Clapton CD's?

JustTheDisk.com has a number of Clapton CD's and I was thinking of making another CD purchase.

marnold
May 27th, 2008, 05:52 PM
My votes would be for:
"Strange Brew" aka the Best of Cream
"From the Cradle"

Even though it's not one of his bluesier songs, which I tend to prefer, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for "Forever Man." Then there's "Cocaine."

As an aside, at the Sem we played a rewritten version of "Cocaine" called "Cohen" (pronounced koh HAIN) which is the Hebrew word for "priest." Lyric examples include:
"When you're eight days old that knife can be awful cold, Cohen.
So don't close your eyes when you circumcise, Cohen."

warren0728
May 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
As an aside, at the Sem we played a rewritten version of "Cocaine" called "Cohen" (pronounced koh HAIN) which is the Hebrew word for "priest." Lyric examples include:
"When you're eight days old that knife can be awful cold, Cohen.
So don't close your eyes when you circumcise, Cohen."
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

man marnold if you were preachin' near me i might go to church more often!! :AOK:

ww

player
May 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'll go with From the Cradle" and Crossroads.liking the blues sides along with his diversity Not foregoing Wheels Of Fire either ala Cream.clever there with Cohen Rev:D

ZMAN
May 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM
There are a ton of good choices. Both of the crossroads DVDs are Great Clapton, Unplugged is good if you like the accoustic side of things. From the cradle is a lot of bluesy stuff. Of course most of my choices will be his bluer side. Me and Mr Johnson is a tribute to Robert Johnson and it features his current band. There is also the DVD the Robert Johnson sessions That comes with a CD included. 24 Nights is a fabulous double lp with about 15 of his songs done live and extended versions. Riding with the King is done with BB king.
I am not a big fan of his Delaney and Bonnie stuff. But that should keep you occupied for a while.

Spudman
May 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM
461 Ocean Boulevard and the 80's one Behind The Sun.

just strum
May 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Well I have Crossroads Disc1 and I have From the Cradle.

I guess I should have narrowed it down

Is anyone familiar with any of these? I'm not sure if you will get a search page or the Eric Clapton page. If you get the search page, just type in Eric Clapton.

http://www.justthedisc.com/search/

note: the multiple listing reflects the number of copies and there are two pages of Clapton

They also have a number of SRV

ZMAN
May 27th, 2008, 07:59 PM
When I mentioned the Crossroads I meant the Crossroads guitar festival from 2004 and 2007, not the Crossroads cd.

just strum
May 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM
When I mentioned the Crossroads I meant the Crossroads guitar festival from 2004 and 2007, not the Crossroads cd.

DVD, correct?

duhvoodooman
May 27th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs. To me, that will always be EC's high water mark, and Duane Allman has to get more than a little credit! Many other excellent ones, old & new (several mentioned here), but that's my favorite.... :dude:

just strum
May 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs. To me, that will always be EC's high water mark, and Duane Allman has to get more than a little credit! Many other excellent ones, old & new (several mentioned here), but that's my favorite.... :dude:

Justthedisc doesn't have that one at the moment, but this best of looks good

Tracks-

* 1) I Shot The Sheriff
* 2) After Midnight
* 3) Knockin On Heavens Door
* 4) Wonderful Tonight
* 5) Layla
* 6) Cocaine
* 7) Lay Down Sally
* 8) Willie & The Hand Jive
* 9) Promises
* 10) Swing Low Sweet Chariot
* 11) Let It Grow

birv2
May 27th, 2008, 08:37 PM
+1 on Derek and the Dominoes.

Then I'd also second Disraeli Gears and Wheels on Fire.

Just to be heretical here, I actually liked Pilgrim, and after I read his autobiography, I liked it even more. I'm generally not a fan of Pro Toolsy sounding stuff, but he has some great songs on that album.

:bravo:

Bob

R_of_G
May 28th, 2008, 06:52 AM
The D&D album and the 1966 Mayall Bluesbreakers album. The rest I could do without.

wingsdad
May 28th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Strum-
Off the top of my head, I'd suggest these:

albums with Cream:
a comp 'hits' album: "Cream of Clapton"
Disraeli Gears
Wheels of Fire

Blind Faith - with Steve Winwood & Ginger Baker.
Layla & etc, etc - Derek & The Dominoes

Solo albums:
for a comp/hits album: 'Time Pieces'
461 Ocean Boulevard
Slowhand
Just One Night-Live at The Budokan
Soundtrack from the movie "Rush" (instrumentals and 'Tears in Heaven')
Unplugged (the MTV performance)

Probably not available at that site, but, not to be confused with the concert DVD's, I've got the 4 cd box set titled 'Crossroads' which takes him from his Mayall years to his 1986 album 'August'.

Tone2TheBone
May 28th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Starts with Beano and ends with Fresh Cream.

I like his other stuff too.

birv2
May 28th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Forgot about Blind Faith. An almost great album by an almost great band. But plenty of great playing by Clapton on it, esp. the solo in Presence of the Lord.

Bob