PDA

View Full Version : SRV on an AD30VT

marnold
May 27th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Ever since I got my Area 61s, I've been trying to dial in a good SRV tone on my AD30VT. I found one right here, from an old post by DVM (http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=22577&postcount=42). I'm going to tweak it a bit, but man it sounds good now. Now if I could just play like Stevie . . .

thearabianmage
May 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM
All you need is feeling!!! (. . . Without trying to play down SRV's excellent technique too much)

just strum
May 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Ever since I got my Area 61s, I've been trying to dial in a good SRV tone on my AD30VT. I found one right here, from an old post by DVM (http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=22577&postcount=42). I'm going to tweak it a bit, but man it sounds good now. Now if I could just play like Stevie . . .

That sounds pretty good. I have an SRV setting on my RP350 and played that and then hit bypass in mid-play and I like DVM's a little better, but they are both worth having. I programmed ch1 with the DVM settings.:AOK:

Now I have to work on that "feeling" that Joe is talking about. He has it, it's evident in his video.

thearabianmage
May 27th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Now I have to work on that "feeling" that Joe is talking about. He has it, it's evident in his video.

Start practicing feel with bends - they are the most expressionate thing one can do a guitar - and the one thing that sets guitar apart from all other instruments
(bass strings can bend, but bending bass strings doesn't exactly define the sound of a bass, now does it?)

My favorite note to bend is 15th fret of the B string (the 'D'). . . I dunno why, I just bloody love it. Bend it, bend it again, bend the hell out of it. Pre-bend it, bend up, bring it down a little, back up, vibrato, pinch harmonics (especially nice) anything you can think of! Then start applying that all around. . . Good luck and - most importantly - have fun! The audience can tell if you're not. . . Or, more accurately, they can feel it if you're not ;)

just strum
May 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Start practicing feel with bends - they are the most expressionate thing one can do a guitar - and the one thing that sets guitar apart from all other instruments
(bass strings can bend, but bending bass strings doesn't exactly define the sound of a bass, now does it?)

My favorite note to bend is 15th fret of the B string (the 'D'). . . I dunno why, I just bloody love it. Bend it, bend it again, bend the hell out of it. Pre-bend it, bend up, bring it down a little, back up, vibrato, pinch harmonics (especially nice) anything you can think of! Then start applying that all around. . . Good luck and - most importantly - have fun! The audience can tell if you're not. . . Or, more accurately, they can feel it if you're not ;)

I've been playing a lot between the 12th and 15th. Yesterday I was fretting the e at the 12th and at the same time fretting the B string at the 15th. Strike both strings, keep the e fretted and bend the B string. It was making such a wicked sound and it just hit a magic spot in my head.

thearabianmage
May 28th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I've been playing a lot between the 12th and 15th. Yesterday I was fretting the e at the 12th and at the same time fretting the B string at the 15th. Strike both strings, keep the e fretted and bend the B string. It was making such a wicked sound and it just hit a magic spot in my head.

Yep, I know the one :AOK:

Apparently, people call that 'the elephant', but I think that's a dumb name for a really cool sound! There's a lot you can do with that one as well.

Anyways, keep doing things that hit that magic spot in your head! :rockon: