PDA

View Full Version : Tried a Hagstrom HJ-500

Robert
May 27th, 2008, 08:02 PM
One of these - http://www.hagstromguitars.com/hj.html

I was mega impressed. I think I NEED it! It's a jazz box, but it I tried it with some distortion and man, was that ever sweet! Singing tones, great controllable feedback. Hagstrom must be putting in some quality buckers in these guitars. Last time I tried a jazz guitar like this with distortion, it squealed like a stabbed pig.

The neck feels fantastic. The action was low and it was easy to play fast and do bends, yet it still had that fat, woody tone you can't get from solid body guitars.

It sounded great with clean sound too, of course. I played some jazz stuff and the sound was terrific. George Benson and Wes Montgomery tones can be had easily. :AOK:

I don't have the cash for it yet, but it's on my "possibly-future-purchase"-list.
:rockon: :dude:

Spudman
May 27th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Sounds pretty good and looks beautiful. :AOK: You're either going to have to get a tie and suit to accent it or tights and a raccoon cap and go the Nugent route. We'll leave the decision up to you, but I'm sure you are going to be hearing plenty of suggestions.:D

sunvalleylaw
May 27th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I'd say Robert could pull off a Swedish Stray Cat Setzer look better than either the suit or Nugent. Has that same skinny/skrappy thing goin' on! Big thumbs up, that thing looks great! Someday I want one like that or a like Gretsch as well!

Robert
May 30th, 2008, 07:36 AM
It sure is a sweet guitar. A little pricier than the other Hagstroms, but I like it the best of the Hagstroms I've played. Go figure!