PDA

View Full Version : OK You HT Fanatics

stingx
May 29th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Yes, another of my numerous hobbies is home theater. Anyway, I just received my new Popcorn Hour A-100 Media Tank and connected it to my HT. I use a Logitech Harmony remote to control all my devices as it works amazingly well and recognizes every device I own - this one being no exception. I'm posting this because I am sure many of you would like to have the ability to watch the movies and pictures on your computer, as well as listen to music, anywhere you'd like besides your computer :)

Here's a great video showing what this can do:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1118284/popcorn_hour_a100_review_179/

If you install a HHD into it, it becomes a NAS head, SMB, FTP, Apache Web server. Basically this device is a media extender on crack. It is DEAD SILENT - no moving parts. I can also watch YouTube directly from it in addition to a boatload of other services. I could type here all day and still forget to mention things this unit is capable of. The best thing is that firmware is released monthly - oh and the PRICE...$179 USD. Did I mention this little gizmo will do 1080p!?!

My impressions so far? I'm really diggin' this. I haven't even set up the internal drive yet. Just playing things from shares on my PC. Setting it up was insanely easy. Folks, I shit you not, it doesn't get any easier or cheaper than this to stream HD content.

Robert
May 29th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Very cool! I had no idea.

ted s
May 29th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Sounds very cool, I have been distracted with something like this lately.
Stinger, I don't have HD, regular Sat.TV into an older Hitachi rear proj. and a DVD player. Could I use something like that ? (I'm at work and can't get to the video from here)

stingx
May 29th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Stinger, I don't have HD, regular Sat.TV into an older Hitachi rear proj. and a DVD player. Could I use something like that ? (I'm at work and can't get to the video from here)

Sure you can. It will go as high as 1080p but will also do composite and s-video at 480i as well!

stingx
June 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.stubble.org/images/rack.jpg

Have I mentioned how much the Popcorn Hour rocks??? :rockon:

I've got the new digital audio cable on the way to play DTS rips! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!

ted s
June 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hey Stinger, top shelf, on their edges beside the popcorn, what are those ? one looks like a router or switch, what's the larger beige one ?

stingx
June 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hey Stinger, top shelf, on their edges beside the popcorn, what are those ? one looks like a router or switch, what's the larger beige one ?

Heya Ted. The unit on the left is the cable modem. The little device next to it is my wireless-G router. It is being replaced soon with N.

ted s
June 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
So was that $179 USD to your door ? How long was the order to arrival ?
Good vendor ? recommended ?
thanks

t

stingx
June 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
So was that $179 USD to your door ? How long was the order to arrival ?
Good vendor ? recommended ?
thanks

t

I didn't order direct. I ordered from a reseller in Edison, NJ who has them in stock. It took less than a week for it to arrive. Came out to $214. Would cost about the same if you order direct + shipping only God knows how long it would take plus I see there's always a wait for it anyway.

stingx
June 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
I hate a zillion remotes so I picked up a Logitech Harmony 550 and it controls everything for me - all preprogrammed from the software! Great product. I have it set up to do all the switching of componets, inputs, etc...just select an activity and you're all set!

http://www.stubble.org/images/logitech_harmony_550.jpg

stingx
June 14th, 2008, 05:44 PM
So, being the lazy bastard I am, I have been ripping my DVDs and Blu-Rays to ISO files and copying them to the massive internal drive I installed in the Popcorn. These ISOs function 100% as the original - exact sound (DTS, Dolby, etc.), menus, extras, etc. So now I don't have to get up and swap DVDs when I fancy a change. :D

DVD to ISO for an average sized DVD takes about 8 minutes on my quad-core PC. I use a great program called DVD Decrypter (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm) to handle the chore. It's freeware and works on ALL DVDs. If you have kids this is a great way to preserve your treasures!

So far I have on tap the following ISOs:

David Gilmour - Remember That Night
The Concert for George
The Rolling Stones - Bridges to Babylon
Roger Waters - In the Flesh Live
The Last Waltz

Still ripping away. Now I don't plan to do all my media - I have over 300 concert DVDs - but just about 20 - 30 of the ones I watch the most.

Guys, not to sound like a broken record but I cannot recommend this gadget enough. :AOK: