PDA

View Full Version : Any baseball keeper-up-withers in here?

Rabies
May 30th, 2008, 04:45 PM
How 'bout those Cubs so far this year? Could this be the year?

Algonquin
May 30th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Slowly coming back to it a bit more each year.

I enjoy a Saturday afternoon game on the radio if I'm working around the yard, and I usually make it to three or four games at the park.

There are some talented players in the league right now... should be an exciting season :AOK:

thearabianmage
May 30th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Apparently my good 'ole Braves ain't doin' so bad this year! Hah, I tell you what, I remember when Chipper Jones first joined, he was my favorite player back then. He's a senior player now, and the last time I saw a pic of him he look old!

That's what professional competitive sports does to you though - the sports field in general have no regard as to the long term damage of their intense exercise regimes, it's all about high-performance and winning games.

Why is it that there are 100 year old men and women in China who have practiced various forms of kung fu their entire life - or 95 years of it - and a pro sportsman is officially spent by the age of 30 - 20-25 years after learning their craft?

I digress. . . No, I haven't kept up with the Cubs or anything. Only select games come on TV here at like 2AM on Sunday night/Monday morning. Bad times. People over here thing baseball is a girl's sport. Apparently soccer (or 'football' as it's called here) is a real man's sport. How's that?

warren0728
May 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
i used to follow my braves religiously...but over the last few years just haven't had the time...have been to the new stadium a couple of times and have a full set of panorama pics i took at the old braves stadium the year before it was demolished....

ww

thearabianmage
May 30th, 2008, 05:53 PM
i used to follow my braves religiously...but over the last few years just haven't had the time...have been to the new stadium a couple of times and have a full set of panorama pics i took at the old braves stadium the year before it was demolished....

ww

Remember when the old stadium was demolished and Pizza Hut were giving bits of sand from pitcher's mound away with their pizzas? I wish I got in there!

I miss the old Braves. . .

And Georgia. . .

thearabianmage
May 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Not on their pizzas, I hasten to add. . .

Rabies
May 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM
People over here thing baseball is a girl's sport. Apparently soccer (or 'football' as it's called here) is a real man's sport. How's that?

I loves me some baseball. :AOK:

It's funny how different cultures can be so similar, yet so uniquely different.

warren0728
May 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Remember when the old stadium was demolished and Pizza Hut were giving bits of sand from pitcher's mound away with their pizzas? I wish I got in there!

I miss the old Braves. . .
yeah....i grew up in florida and before we had a florida team turner made sure we could watch all the braves games on tbs....never could convert to a florida team fan after being a braves fan for so long...

ww

Rabies
May 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM
It's funny how different cultures can be so similar, yet so uniquely different.

Meaning that over here I think soccer is predominantly thought of as a 'kid' sport. I think most american kids nowadays give up on it at approximately 9th grade...move on to football or the other 2 big "american" sports.

But either way...I think it's kind of simple how some sports fanatics will drag down some sports because they think they are less 'manly' than their personal favorite. To each his own, I guess.

Rabies
May 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Apparently my good 'ole Braves ain't doin' so bad this year! Hah, I tell you what, I remember when Chipper Jones first joined, he was my favorite player back then. He's a senior player now, and the last time I saw a pic of him he look old!

That's what professional competitive sports does to you though - the sports field in general have no regard as to the long term damage of their intense exercise regimes, it's all about high-performance and winning games.

Why is it that there are 100 year old men and women in China who have practiced various forms of kung fu their entire life - or 95 years of it - and a pro sportsman is officially spent by the age of 30 - 20-25 years after learning their craft?

I digress. . . No, I haven't kept up with the Cubs or anything. Only select games come on TV here at like 2AM on Sunday night/Monday morning. Bad times. People over here thing baseball is a girl's sport. Apparently soccer (or 'football' as it's called here) is a real man's sport. How's that?

Do a little checking up on Chipper...he's not really all that 'senior' so far this year...he's on a tear here lately. :crazyguy:

just strum
May 30th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Well, I live in Tribe land (Cleveland Indians-American League), but I will take the National League any day. Dodgers and Atlanta, those are the teams I will watch on occasion.

One of the worst things in baseball - the designated hitter. Give me a pitching dual any day. National League makes the manager earn his pay.

warren0728
May 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
One of the worst things in baseball - the designated hitter. Give me a pitching dual any day. National League makes the manager earn his pay.
absolutely...if you're gonna pitch....you need to hit too! :beer:

ww

just strum
May 30th, 2008, 07:03 PM
absolutely...if you're gonna pitch....you need to hit too! :beer:

ww

Puts a little risk of pitching in and knocking them off the plate.:D

R_of_G
May 31st, 2008, 11:48 AM

Couldn't agree more. I'd rather watch a 1-0 National League pitcher's duel than some 12-10 American home run derby.

Now, if only my Mets could turn things around this season. At least they play on tv today [against LA] so I can check them out.

sunvalleylaw
May 31st, 2008, 01:09 PM
My favorite year in baseball was around '95 when the M's made that Cinderella run past the Yanks and Ken Griffey Jr. was still our young Seattle hero, and Jay Buhner was still healthy. Edgar lining up and hitting those shots was the best I kinda lost interest when the M's couldn't get past the Yanks last in the series in '01. That was a tough year though to be wanting to beat a NY team. Rightfully so, the country's sympathy and support was with the Yanks.

Mostly, if I attend a game, it is the Tacoma Rainiers in Cheney Stadium. Kinda a slice of Bull Durham there. I would love to get to a game in the new home of the Mariners once sometime soon though. Last time I went to a game, they played in the Kingdome.

birv2
May 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM
After blues guitar, baseball is probably my second fave. Though I live now in PA, I lived in Ontario for 20 years, so I bleed Blue Jay blue. I follow the Phils in the NL but I don't live and die with them. I'm in a good mood when the Jays win, and not so good when they lose. Especially with their anemic hitting. Grr. :reallymad:

I don't do fantasy baseball -- not enough time to devote to it. But I have the Stratomatic board game and really enjoy that, as well as reading about baseball history.

But I still see today as a good time to be a baseball fan. Cleaning up the steroid mess, and lots of great players to watch (Pujols, Chipper, Ryan Howard, Utley, Roy Halladay...). I enjoy it even when my team's out of it.

Play ball!

Bob