PDA

View Full Version : Tele Brass Saddle

just strum
May 31st, 2008, 12:26 PM
Those of you familiar with the saddles on tele's - would this saddle make any improvement to the Peavey Tele? I'm not after better looks, but is it an inexpensive way to change tone?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridge_parts/Compensated_Telecaster_Bridge_Saddles.html

The ones on the Peavey right now has grooves where the strings rest, but I see these do not. I assume the tension of the string will hold them in place.

duhvoodooman
May 31st, 2008, 01:38 PM
What kind of improvement in tone are you looking to make, Strum? I'm not sure how to answer until I understand what you're hoping to achieve.

just strum
May 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM
What kind of improvement in tone are you looking to make, Strum? I'm not sure how to answer until I understand what you're hoping to achieve.

Hard to answer, but I will give it a shot. I want to soften or mellow the sound from the 12th on up. When I play the 12th through 15th and up, it sounds too sharp. So I want to soften it without getting rid of the twang.

I'm not sure if that makes sense.

The more I play this Peavey, the more I like it. I have the set-up where I like it and I think I'm getting to the point of seeing if there any little, inexpensive tweaks I can give it.

Katastrophe
May 31st, 2008, 07:22 PM
I read in Guitar Player that the builder of Brad Paisley's custom Tele-types uses an aluminum saddle for the E and A strings, aluminum for the D string, a G bender saddle for the G string, and a brass saddle for the B and E strings. Apparently, the brass saddle is supposed to tame the highs a bit.

I don't own a Tele, nor do I play one on TV, so take this FWIW.:beer:

thearabianmage
May 31st, 2008, 07:38 PM
I read in Guitar Player that the builder of Brad Paisley's custom Tele-types uses an aluminum saddle for the E and A strings, aluminum for the D string, a G bender saddle for the G string, and a brass saddle for the B and E strings. Apparently, the brass saddle is supposed to tame the highs a bit.

I don't own a Tele, nor do I play one on TV, so take this FWIW.:beer:

That's very interesting. Again, tonight I've learned something that I never realized before! Different metals for different strings in the saddle! For its purpose, it's ingenious. . .

duhvoodooman
June 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM
Hard to answer, but I will give it a shot. I want to soften or mellow the sound from the 12th on up. When I play the 12th through 15th and up, it sounds too sharp. So I want to soften it without getting rid of the twang.

I'm not sure if that makes sense.

The more I play this Peavey, the more I like it. I have the set-up where I like it and I think I'm getting to the point of seeing if there any little, inexpensive tweaks I can give it.
Sure, that makes sense--a little too strident on the top end. In that case, those saddles may be a good approach, and it's certainly a cheap experiment. Brass saddles have the reputation of rounding off the tone and taming the twang a bit, so certainly worth a shot. Definitely had this effect for me--not a huge difference, but certainly noticeable.

If that doesn't do the job, you might want to look at different pickups, particularly at the bridge.

markb
June 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM
I've used the StewMac saddles on a Classic 50s tele. They fixed both the intonation and the icepick on the back pickup in one go. The only downside is that they look a bit odd when fitted as they have straight sides and angled screw holes. There are nicer saddles out there from Callaham or Glendale but they cost a lot more. The Wilkinson compensated bridge is a very nice piece of kit too, I think you can get it from Allparts but you'll need to check the spacing for the mounting screws.

just strum
June 1st, 2008, 05:32 PM
I've used the StewMac saddles on a Classic 50s tele. They fixed both the intonation and the icepick on the back pickup in one go. The only downside is that they look a bit odd when fitted as they have straight sides and angled screw holes. There are nicer saddles out there from Callaham or Glendale but they cost a lot more. The Wilkinson compensated bridge is a very nice piece of kit too, I think you can get it from Allparts but you'll need to check the spacing for the mounting screws.

What's the purpose of the angled screw holes? Since the saddles don't have grooves, do you have issues with the height adjusting screw interfering with the strings?

markb
June 2nd, 2008, 12:54 AM
What's the purpose of the angled screw holes? Since the saddles don't have grooves, do you have issues with the height adjusting screw interfering with the strings?

The angled holes set the intonation. Compared with a six saddle bridge, the saddles are angled to approximate the offsets. The Wilkinson and Glendale saddles have straight screws and machined ramps that offset the strings. I had no problems with height screws interfering with the strings but then the break angle with a string through bridge is pretty steep, a top loader might be a different story. I'm not familiar with the Peavey "tele" and don't know how the strings load. IIRC the low E was a bit out but the improvement over straight saddles was quite noticeable. The picture below from the StewMac site shows the angles quite clearly though I'd say they've got the saddles the wrong way up :thwap:

http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1lg/5167/Compensated_Tele_Saddles_Detail.jpg

markb
June 2nd, 2008, 12:56 AM
Oh, another caveat is if you have a narrowly spaced bridge like those on some Squiers. These saddles would be a tight fit.

duhvoodooman
June 2nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
The angled holes set the intonation. Compared with a six saddle bridge, the saddles are angled to approximate the offsets. The Wilkinson and Glendale saddles have straight screws and machined ramps that offset the strings.
Exactly. Improved intonation is the sole reason for those angled holes, so that the barrel of the saddle is farther down the guitar on one side than the other. The other approach is the "stepped" design that markb mentions, which is what I have on my Tele. Got 'em on eBay for $15 BIN price, and they work quite well. See pic:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/comp_saddles.jpg

just strum
June 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Do you think think this is a buyer beware?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310050954670&ih=021&category=101977&ssPageName=:IT

I was going to bid on these, it had a starting bid of $24.99 and someone came in and got them for the starting bid price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160245956267&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=006

duhvoodooman
June 5th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Do you think think this is a buyer beware?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310050954670&ih=021&category=101977&ssPageName=:IT
Coming out of Singapore? I dunno, man. Should be plenty of choices right here in the US that don't require 12,000 miles of shipping.

ET335
June 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
take a look at this Strum...looks good and the price isn't bad either.

just another option and I know that you can trust this place:AOK:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wicotebrbrsa.html

t_ross33
June 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
take a look at this Strum...looks good and the price isn't bad either.

just another option and I know that you can trust this place:AOK:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wicotebrbrsa.html

+1. This is the bridge/saddle combo I used for my "Modifying My Vintage Modified" project.

Had a big impact on the tone IMHO. Maybe not so much "taming the twang", but it adds a nice hamonic musical quality and takes some of the "ice pick" bite out of it. The strings will find their own place on the saddle once you bring them to tune/tension, and don't interfere with the saddle screws. Maybe it'd be an issue if you do a lot of aggressive bending, but many Masters of the Telecaster use brass barrel saddles so YMMV.

You'd have to check the string spacing on your Peavey or you may find the string-thru holes don't line up. You do have the option of stringing through the bridge for a "hard tail".

Hmmm... I wonder what would happen if you ran some strings thru the body and others thru the bridge? :confused: What would happen to the tone and/or sustain? Which would you choose and why?

Another experiment for another day :D

duhvoodooman
June 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Had a big impact on the tone IMHO. Maybe not so much "taming the twang", but it adds a nice hamonic musical quality and takes some of the "ice pick" bite out of it.
Taking out the some of that "ice pick bite" as you described it is pretty much what I meant by "taming the twang". Kind of akin to sanding off the rough edges, tonally speaking.

Agree that it's tough to go wrong w/ GFS stuff. Good quality at very attractive prices. :AOK:

markb
June 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Trev's linked to the Wilkinson bridge I mentioned above. Highly recommended by the folks at TDPRI. $29.95 is a great price.

just strum
June 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Trev's linked to the Wilkinson bridge I mentioned above. Highly recommended by the folks at TDPRI. $29.95 is a great price.

I think you guys are right on this one. Did a little reading and it sounds to be a good bang for the buck. I'm assuming it should fit looking at screw locations everything seems to match.

mrmudcat
June 5th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Jay at G.F. is a great guy.:bravo: