PDA

View Full Version : What to get an 80-year-old?

The G-string
May 2nd, 2006, 09:05 AM
Okay, say your dad is turning 80. He's a multi-talented jazz musician, albeit retired. He often records himself on piano, goes back and plays that back and plays guitar with it and then bass. I had considered getting him cakewalk, but I'm afraid it might be more complex than what he really wants.

I had also considered getting him a Bill Evans CD, as he has many different jazz musician CDs, but no Bill Evans. However, I think he truly prefers to play than listen.

Other than that, he's also a WWII veteran and loves to reminisce about "the good ol' days" - - when he was a kid and the way things used to be (neighborhoods with all kinds of independently owned stores and shops within walking distance and how people used to sit outside after dinner every night and be friendly with one another).

Anybody with some input?

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Although a nice '58 or '59 reissue Les Paul would take him back to the 'day' (he may not be a solid body guitar man though) I wouldn't get any computer stuff for him. Getting gifts for someone that has "been around" is hard. Maybe he needs some piece of new gear or something is about the only thing I'd lean toward?

The G-string
May 2nd, 2006, 09:18 AM
Although a nice '58 or '59 reissue Les Paul would take him back to the 'day' (he may not be a solid body guitar man though) I wouldn't get any computer stuff for him. Getting gifts for someone that has "been around" is hard. Maybe he needs some piece of new gear or something is about the only thing I'd lean toward?But he uses his computer all of the time! He's *always* recording with it. That's why I had considered Cakewalk...

...I forgot: he also loves mysteries ... but buying him books is old. I've gotten him so many books and CDs in the past, it's not funny.

Further, as for "new gear," he always goes right out and buys whatever he needs/wants, as he's just that way.

*sighs*

The man means the world to me - - I want to show him so ... this is tough!

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
I'm the same way...if I want something I just buy it. Oh, well if he records already with a computer then yeah Cakewalk might be good. Although anymore nowadays there are probably other good software products you can get to record with. There's a ton of good information on POD equipment and software recording from some users here G. Hey how about one of those PODs or something?

The G-string
May 2nd, 2006, 09:25 AM
I'm the same way...if I want something I just buy it. Oh, well if he records already with a computer then yeah Cakewalk might be good. Although anymore nowadays there are probably other good software products you can get to record with. There's a ton of good information on POD equipment and software recording from some users here G. Hey how about one of those PODs or something?Okay, call me stupid: what's a POD? I thought that was what the aliens used to create hybrid babies in! I'm also thinking about a "mystery-type" computer game, if you [or others] have any ideas there.

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
Here's one...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=482222

I don't know anything about them but I know some of these guys use them. That might be a cool thing to give him. Another neat tool to use. Price isn't too bad either.

Alien babies haha. Hmmm the only mystery games I know of are really action/adventure games with some degree of problem solving. Tombraider Legend the new one is awesome. :)

blogan
May 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
I find that older people tend to have the "things" they really want. Getting him an "experience" can be more fun. How about concert tickets to a favorite artist? (I know you said he'd rather play than listen, but most people I know treat live music different than recordings...)

Good luck!

The G-string
May 2nd, 2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the link, Tone... however, I don't think he'd really want that. He's got a great amp that gives a variety of sounds and with the style jazz he plays, a person really doesn't need too many different sounds -- just a few, going from rhythm to solo and back ... y'know?

As for the concert - - eh - - he doesn't like "going out." I tried to get him to go with me a few times and he just won't go. My mom, on the other hand loves to go out *LOL*

He's a tough ol' byrd!

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2006, 09:38 AM
Here's a link for Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro III

http://cakewalk.com/Products/GuitarTracksPro/default.asp

I've used Guitar Tracks Pro and it's really easy to use. Very intuative and the results are really good. You can record your group live or with drum samples as your base, then layer your stuff over that.

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2006, 09:41 AM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Thanks for the link, Tone... however, I don't think he'd really want that. He's got a great amp that gives a variety of sounds and with the style jazz he plays, a person really doesn't need too many different sounds -- just a few, going from rhythm to solo and back ... y'know?FONT]

Yeah I would expect that. I was going to edit my comment on the POD to note that it looks to be more for modern rock guitar players. He wouldn't need something like that. I think he'd dig the recording software.

The G-string
May 2nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
Yeah I would expect that. I was going to edit my comment on the POD to note that it looks to be more for modern rock guitar players. He wouldn't need something like that. I think he'd dig the recording software.Thanks. In looking at it in more detail, I think that might be a little over my price range, but I'm finding some really neat mystery games online - - I think I might get him something like that. I may go ahead with the Bill Evans CD, too. Are you familiar with "Waltz for Debbie"? It's a great jazz piece.

Nelskie
May 2nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
G-String - Cakewalk is but one of a multitude of software / recording products, and unfortunately one with a very steep learning curve (at least in my opinion). At $200+, it also requires quite a substantial finiancial committment.

If you're still mulling that software idea over, though, might I suggest that you check out Sony's Acid Music software. It's what I've been using for the last several months, and it's a total snap to work. Acid Music is loop-based software, which means you have different loops for different things - drums, keys, bass, etc. Composing tracks is as easy as cut & paste, and you can drop just about any type of track into it. Here's the link:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=971

I purchased my software from Best Buy for $39 (after rebate), and I've seen it on Ebay for the same price. The other thing that's cool about Acid is that you can buy different loop CD's, depending on your musical style / preferences. There are quite a few jazz-based loop CD's, and include horns, organ, and drums. Here's that link:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/shopping/category.asp?id=10

There is a loop sampler CD included with the program, so you have quite a few to experiment with from the get-go. If you like the samples from a particular CD, you can buy most of them for anywhere between $29 - $49.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw that out. I'd initially considered Cakewalk, too, until I saw how easy Acid was to use, and how good the results sounded. Good luck with your birthday shopping. ;)

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks. In looking at it in more detail, I think that might be a little over my price range, but I'm finding some really neat mystery games online - - I think I might get him something like that. I may go ahead with the Bill Evans CD, too. Are you familiar with "Waltz for Debbie"? It's a great jazz piece.

Nope. Never heard of it sorry.

The G-string
May 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
G-String - Cakewalk is but one of a multitude of software / recording products, and unfortunately one with a very steep learning curve (at least in my opinion). At $200+, it also requires quite a substantial finiancial committment.

If you're still mulling that software idea over, though, might I suggest that you check out Sony's Acid Music software. It's what I've been using for the last several months, and it's a total snap to work. Acid Music is loop-based software, which means you have different loops for different things - drums, keys, bass, etc. Composing tracks is as easy as cut & paste, and you can drop just about any type of track into it. Here's the link:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=971

I purchased my software from Best Buy for $39 (after rebate), and I've seen it on Ebay for the same price. The other thing that's cool about Acid is that you can buy different loop CD's, depending on your musical style / preferences. There are quite a few jazz-based loop CD's, and include horns, organ, and drums. Here's that link:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/shopping/category.asp?id=10

There is a loop sampler CD included with the program, so you have quite a few to experiment with from the get-go. If you like the samples from a particular CD, you can buy most of them for anywhere between $29 - $49.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw that out. I'd initially considered Cakewalk, too, until I saw how easy Acid was to use, and how good the results sounded. Good luck with your birthday shopping. ;)Wow!! That is totally cool!!! Thanks so much!!

The G-string
May 2nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
Nope. Never heard of it sorry.I'm looking for it right now on www.allofmp3.com

You'd like it.

Spudman
May 2nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
If you still want to know what to get an 80 year old man I'd say a 23 year old blond hottie would be most appropriate. It's still rock n roll right? Oh wait...he's a jazz guy. Hmmmm, then Larry Calton's - Sapphire Blue from 2004 is pretty good from what I'm told. Also Bill Frisell's - The Intercontinentials from 2003. For funky try John Scofield's - Uberjam. It's awesome! Or for smooth jazz try the 2005 release from the Rippingtons - Wildcard.

Good luck and thanks for the heads up. I'm buying stock in a birthday candle company tomorrow.;)