PDA

View Full Version : Sonny Landreth new album

Robert
May 31st, 2008, 10:57 PM
Have a listen - www.sonnylandreth.com

He's got several interesting guest guitarists on this album. How about Eric Clapton, Robben Ford, Mark Knopfler, Jimmy Buffett, and Vince Gill..

Tone2TheBone
June 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Sonny's great. I love his style. Thanks for the heads up Rob.

Robert
June 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I just bought it from his website. He's a real inspiration to me, so I just had to get this album. I'll comment back once I've had a listen to it.

Robert
June 28th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Been listening to this for a while. It's kinda all over the place. Instrumentals and soft tunes and wicked slide tunes. The Robben Ford and Eric Clapton appearances are great. Knopfler's playing is also nice.

The songs are okay, maybe not the best tunes I've heard from Sonny, but his playing is absolutely phenomenal though.

I am not sure I like the production. Maybe this is because of so many guest guitarists. A bit of a compromise? For some reason, Robben Ford has a crappy tone on his first appearance, then on the next tune, his tone is great. Weird.

Clapton surprised me too. He's playing some tasty wicked solos actually!

This is a great buy if you want to be impressed by tasty guitar playing. The tunes are okay too, especially the ones where Ford and Clapton appear on.

Personally I like Grant Street better, because the sound is rawer and more to my liking. Well, it is a live album, after all.