PDA

View Full Version : The 100 greatest guitar songs ever

Robert
May 31st, 2008, 11:31 PM
So what do you think of this list?

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/20947527/the_100_greatest_guitar_songs_of_all_time/print

Tone E
June 1st, 2008, 03:02 AM
Rubbish.
No Buddy Holly for starters.

Also, why include a rubbish cover of a song rather than the original which has never been topped? Can anyone guess which song im talking about?

TS808
June 1st, 2008, 07:43 AM
I wasn't too thrilled when I saw that list either, but then again, everytime I see the "100 best" or "what is the best...." kind of lists, I always take into account that they are based on someone's opinion.

"Smells like Teen Spirit" as a great guitar song??? Ever?? I was tempted to stop reading the list after I saw that one.

just strum
June 1st, 2008, 07:49 AM
Here are the ones I found either noted in the article or on Wikipedia

I'm not sure which one you are referring to, but I will guess Little Wing

"That's All Right" - Elvis (written and originally performed by blues singer Arthur Crudup)

"Statesboro Blues" written by Blind Willie McTell; the title refers to the town of Statesboro, Georgia. McTell made the first recording of the song on October 17, 1928.

"Hideaway": written by Freddie King

"Little Wing": written by Jimi Hendrix

"Texas Flood" A cover of a 1958 single by bluesman Larry Davis

"I Ain't Superstitious" written by Willie Dixon

Rabies
June 1st, 2008, 08:37 AM
Ask a hundred different people to make that list, and you'll end up with 100 different lists.

Rolling Stone kills me with those lists like that they do every so often. They always upset a few people...:D

Tone E
June 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM
Just Strum:
Summertime Blues. One of the greatest Rock 'n' Roll songs ever, performed to perfection by Eddie Cochran. Why include a cover of it on the list rather than the original?

Kodiak3D
June 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM
This article is from the future! Notice how it says at the top "posted Jun 12, 2008." I can't say I really agree with this article very much. It is, however, nice to see some appreciation for "People Get Ready."

Spudman
June 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM
I don't think I saw "Rock Around The Clock" on that list.

I think Rolling Stone Magazine doesn't have a grasp on quality music any more so I put little stock in any of their "top anything" lists. I think they do it just to sell copies. Well it doesn't work for me and that's why I've cancelled my subscription.

marnold
June 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
I don't think I saw "Rock Around The Clock" on that list.
It's #30. I agree that if that one weren't on there it would be a travashamockery.

dws
June 5th, 2008, 09:00 PM
First of all, where was Hotel California? ...Assuming I didn't just completely miss it.

Personally, I don't think that songs should be ranked, because liking a song is a complete matter of opinion.

jbviper4
June 7th, 2008, 08:36 AM
No Comfortably Numb?

Sweet Child O Mine at #63?

These lists are fun to read but almost never grounded in reality.

PS - I LOVE Springsteen - but BTR is not exactly a great guitar song.

just strum
June 7th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Great = ?

Is it sales?

Did it start a movement?

Did it sore an artist super to stardom?

Did it identify a generation?

Is it x number of people stating what is their favorite song or top three songs and the results of the submittal?

What are the ages of the people voting or choosing?

In someones eyes, each one of those 100 songs deserves to be #1 and in someones eyes there are songs they love or that played a part in their life that didn't make the list.

For me, I was a Bruce fan the first time I heard the album Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. The mass majority of people probably didn't know a whole lot about him until Born to Run. For me that album was about the time I felt he was no longer meaningful or a contributor to real music. I never purchased another album or CD of Bruce Springsteen after BTR. I will listen to Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J., Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle and one cut from BTR - Thunder Road. After that everything that I was exposed to by Bruce I felt was crap.

Okay, I went off on a rant, I'll turn it off now.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/rant.gif