PDA

View Full Version : Wings only one win away!

ZMAN
June 1st, 2008, 07:30 AM
Well I was a happy camper last night. The Detroit Red Wings beat the Penguins (and the referees) last night 2 to 1. That puts them up 3 to 1 in the series and going home to Joe Louis for what I hope is the last game.
Why a Canadian boy who loves the Wings you say! The town I grew up in was the home of the Hamilton Red Wings. They were the Junior A franchise for the Red Wings. I saw all the stars over the years come through our town and have always followed them.
Pittsburg is a great team and they are just a hair away from being a great team. When Sidney Crosby can actually grow a playoff beard they will probably win the Cup.

TS808
June 1st, 2008, 07:33 AM
Being a Penguins fan (lived in Pittsburgh most of my life) the game last night was a huge disappointment.

The Pens just don't look like a well-oiled machine in the finals. Malkin and Sykora haven't produced at all, and they are just off their game. Detroit is also playing a much more physical game while the Pens are standing around going after the puck, rather than checking.

The Pens look like a team that has had "pre-game jitters" throughout each game.

marnold
June 1st, 2008, 10:45 AM
I think I had six or seven heart attacks last night, especially during the 86 seconds of five-on-three. I didn't think the refs were unfair last night, although there certainly were some odd calls in game three, it didn't affect the outcome. The Pens (assuming their management doesn't totally screw up this off season) will remain a very good team. They are learning right now what must be done to win a Stanley Cup. Nothing is over yet, however.

I know a lot of Wings fans have been complaining about the hype that Crosby is getting, but he has clearly been the Pens best player. He is scary good and has the will to win. I've always said that the NHL needs to market its stars better. I don't think there's a better one to start with than him. I just think it wouldn't hurt to give Pasha and Hank a commercial or two too.

Malkin has been a huge disappointment. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with him that no one is letting on. Hossa, until last night, had been costing himself a lot of free agent $$ with his lack of production.

My favorite part of these playoffs is that it has been a coming out party for guys like Franzen, Hudler, and Kronwall. Everybody on the Wings except Franzen and Hank are signed up long-term (Lidstrom will be year-to-year until he retires). They're well under the cap to boot. You can bet that they'll get the Mule and Zetts locked up this summer.

I like how the NHL is trumpeting that they've had their highest TV ratings in six years. Hmm, I wonder who was in the finals six years ago? . . .

Robert
June 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM
I love seeing our Swedes play so well! :AOK:

birv2
June 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM
As an Ottawa Sens fan, I told anyone who would listen that putting your faith in Marian Hossa (or "Maid Marian", as the Sens fans used to call him) would end up disappointing you. Many teams proved that you just need to rough him up a bit at the beginning of the series and he grows alligator arms.

Having said that, it's clear that the Wings are just the better team. I agree that the Pens are on the edge of being a great team, just not sure if they can come back from 3-1 with 2 games left at the Joe. Crosby is unbelievable -- remember how well he played in the playoffs last year, and then we found out he had a foot fracture? Even if he can't grow a playoff beard yet, that's some old school hockey there.

But Detroit plays great team hockey, they have several scorers, and they're riding the hot goalie. I don't see them losing this one.

And as a transplanted Canuck, I'm pretty impressed with the camera work on NBC. They're still not as good as HNIC, but it's a lot better than any other hockey I've seen on American TV. Wonder how the ratings are?

Bob

marnold
June 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
I thought that this interview on ESPN2 (http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3422364&categoryId=2378529&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1) with the guy who threw the octopus on Saturday was pretty awesome.

Robert
June 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
I watched this last night. I really thought Detroit had it this time. Nope.