PDA

View Full Version : Doing sports again - yeah! :-)

Jimi75
June 2nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
Hey folks,

Approximately 3,5 months ago I visited dolphinstreet.com and something strange happened. I wanted to take a look at some guitar videos but then clicked on the running link and read everything Robert writes there. I remembered the time when I was running half marathon and marathon and as music really "dictated" my life in the last 6 months, I gave it a shot. I bought new running shoes, some barbells and a puls measure clock.

I wrote down a plan that I have been following since that day and even on holiday I took 1,5 hours in the morning to work out.

Honestly, it didn't bring me any new ideas musical wise, instead I had the first time in my life that I didn't even think about guitars - and guess what - it was good! I made up my mind to train for a little Triathlon, I went looking for some nice bikes and checked swimming techniques.

The positive effect was that I lost about 14 pounds.
The even more positive effect was that I feel so energy loaded that I find my way back into making music again like I did before!

Hey Rob, here's a thank you from my side for being an motivator once more.
I was blind for thean running link until that day and I am happy that I pressed it :-)

Greetz
Jimi75

sunvalleylaw
June 2nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
Congrats Jimi! Doing exercise and outdoors things is a big part of my life. Glad you found your way back into it. I use Robert's running site some too, though I haven't much recently. Will have to make my way back there.

Robert
June 2nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Wow, that is great to hear! :AOK:
It's a great thing to exercise, in many ways. I find it is a very good combination (or relief from) music. Running takes the mind away from stress.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I am really glad to hear you are enjoying running.

warren0728
June 2nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
very cool....i really need to get more exercise....a friend of mine is a tri-athelete and he has a program for complete beginners that starts them out slow to keep them injury free...i have the schedule (a combination of running/walking, biking and swimming) but haven't got motivated enough to start :confused: maybe now is the time!

ww

sunvalleylaw
June 2nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
That sounds like a good program! I encourage you to do it. Exercise gets addictive, in a good way. :AOK: In the last few years, though I am active, I have gotten away from running as much, and my current approach to running brings on nagging injuries. I just squeeze it in with everything else I do and expect the same results I had when I ran in a more disciplined way. LOL!!

I am going to look into Jeff Galloway's book "Running without Injury" to add a few miles. My main summer training is mountain biking, but I likes me a few good runs too. I am interested in your friend's approach to triathalon training without injury, sounds great!

warren0728
June 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
here is the first 4 weeks....this is designed for people who are out of shape and haven't been getting any exercise! he sent me the first 4 weeks but since i haven't started i didn't ask for anything further but i will....

WEEK 1
Monday - OFF DAY
Tuesday - Bike 30 minutes, 5 lap swim
Wednesday - Walk 30 minutes
Thursday - Bike 30 minutes - 10 minute swim
Friday - Walk 30 minutes on the beach
Saturday - Off / Optional walk
Sunday - 30 minute Bike, 10 minute

WEEK 2
Monday - OFF DAY
Tuesday (Today) - Bike 30 minutes, 5 lap swim
Wednesday - Walk 30 minutes
Thursday - Bike 30 minutes - 5 lap swim
Friday - Walk 30 minutes
Saturday - Bike 30 Minutes / Optional Walk 30 minutes
Sunday - 30 minute Bike, 5 lap swim

WEEK 3
Monday - OFF DAY
Tuesday - Bike 6 Miles - Swim - 150 yds
Wednesday - Walk 30 minutes with 3 X 3 minutes of running - running should be very easy. (Walk 10 minutes then Run 3 minutes then walk 3 minutes, etc)
Thursday - Bike 6 miles - Swim 200 yds
Wednesday - Walk 30 minutes with 3 X 3 minutes of running - running should be very easy. (Walk 10 minutes then Run 3 minutes then walk 3 minutes, etc)
Saturday - Bike 30 Minutes / Optional Walk 30 minutes
Sunday - Walk 30 minutes - no running

WEEK 4
Monday - OFF DAY
Tuesday - Bike 45 minutes (should be at least 7-9 miles) – Swim 350 yds total – swim 50 yds rest for 2 minutes, swim 50yds rest for 2 minutes, etc.
Wednesday – Walk/Run total of 40 minutes – walk 10 minutes then 10 minutes of run/walk (1 minute run/1 minute walk), end with 10 minutes of walking – running should be very slow.
Thursday – Bike 45 minutes - Swim 350 yds total – swim 50 yds rest for 2 minutes, swim 50yds rest for 2 minutes, etc.
Friday – Walk/Run total of 40 minutes – walk 10 minutes then 10 minutes of run/walk (1 minute run/1 minute walk), end with 10 minutes of walking – running should be very slowly
Saturday – OFF DAY
Sunday Bike 40 minutes – Optional 200 yds swim

ww : )

sunvalleylaw
June 2nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks man! Jimi, I guess this isn't too bad a highjack as we are discussing how folks can get back into it. ;-)

warren0728
June 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Jimi, I guess this isn't too bad a highjack as we are discussing how folks can get back into it. ;-)
that's what i was thinking....or else i would have started a new thread....which i can do if necessary....

ww

sunvalleylaw
June 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Nah Man, I think you are good.

Robert
June 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
If anyone wants a 10 week beginner running program, I designed this program:
10 week running program for beginners (http://www.nahanniriverherbs.com/health-news-20.php)

It's getting good feedback from those who have used it.

warren0728
June 2nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
If anyone wants a 10 week beginner running program, I designed this program:
10 week running program for beginners (http://www.nahanniriverherbs.com/health-news-20.php)

It's getting good feedback from those who have used it.
thanks robert....i bookmarked that page and your exercise routines for weight loss pages....it's gonna be hard this summer because the kids will be with me at least half the time so i'm not sure how much running and bike riding i'll be able to get in (the kids slow me down) but will do quite a bit of swimming....any suggestions for replacing the running/riding with something at home (i don't have room for any exercise equipment)

ww

sunvalleylaw
June 2nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Do you have a road bike, or just like a 10 speed type bike? You can get one of these that folds up small, and put your bike on it.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=4120

The house brand "Travel Trac" kind works fine for me. I use it with a Spinervals DVD you can also get there, or just watch some sports while I am riding. The Spinervals workouts make you work and give you a good workout in like 45 min. My daughter likes to hang with me while I do the workout. I do that with the kids there all the time. Sometimes, I'll pop in a ski movie we can watch while I ride. The visual of the film or dvd coaching, coupled with music if I am watching ski movies, gets my adrenaline going which helps me do the workout.

Robert
June 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
You could get a treadmill for running and walking. If you tilt up the incline a bit, you can get a really good workout in.

warren0728
June 2nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
i really don't have room for a treadmill (probably not the bike rack either)....i live in a condo and between my office, guitars and kids stuff we are pretty full....do you know of any decent aerobic workout dvds that are good?

ww

Spudman
June 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
thanks robert....i bookmarked that page and your exercise routines for weight loss pages....it's gonna be hard this summer because the kids will be with me at least half the time so i'm not sure how much running and bike riding i'll be able to get in (the kids slow me down) but will do quite a bit of swimming....any suggestions for replacing the running/riding with something at home (i don't have room for any exercise equipment)

ww

In my opinion one of the best things that you can do is to get a good pair of shoes and go outside. Explore, play, take walking trips to destinations that are a couple of miles away. Remember how when you were a kid you were outside playing all day? If you can stick with activities that keep you active for long periods then your whole body will benefit because you'll be using a wider variety of muscle groups. Running will take that to the next level but you still should find things that use different muscle groups than just the ones used for running.

My basic rule is a simple one: just go outside and play.

warren0728
June 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
In my opinion one of the best things that you can do is to get a good pair of shoes and go outside. Explore, play, take walking trips to destinations that are a couple of miles away. Remember how when you were a kid you were outside playing all day? If you can stick with activities that keep you active for long periods then your whole body will benefit because you'll be using a wider variety of muscle groups. Running will take that to the next level but you still should find things that use different muscle groups than just the ones used for running.

My basic rule is a simple one: just go outside and play.
i agree....the problem is that with a 9 and 11 year old with me i can't walk fast enough or bike fast or long enough to get in a work out....laps in the pool won't be a problem because they can just play in the pool....

ww

sunvalleylaw
June 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Warren, I share your constraints often. That bike trainer that doesn't take much room is something you can do for 45, then go explore with the kids outside. Or combine outside goofing off with your kids with your laps at the pool. That Spinervals series of DVDs is good for biking. I don't have another great aerobics DVD or anything to suggest.

Robert
June 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
I know - put the kids in a cart and pull/push that thing up and down the block! That should tire you out fairly soon. You get a great exercise, the kids get a sightseeing tour - what more can you ask for? :D :D :D

sunvalleylaw
June 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
I did that with a double jogger before. Big workout! But my kids weren't 9 and 11 when I was doing that a lot. Heck, those joggers are expensive. Maybe a shopping kart will follow you home one day. ;-)

warren0728
June 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
That bike trainer that doesn't take much room is something you can do for 45, then go explore with the kids outside. Or combine outside goofing off with your kids with your laps at the pool. That Spinervals series of DVDs is good for biking. I don't have another
i would be concerned about dirtying up the carpet since my bike gets stored outside....probably will just do swimming and indoor exercises when the kids are here...

ww

warren0728
June 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Maybe a shopping kart will follow you home one day. ;-)
that would be agreat way to get them to behave....threaten to push them around the neighborhood in the shopping cart if they get out of line!! :AOK:

ww

just strum
June 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
In my opinion one of the best things that you can do is to get a good pair of shoes and go outside. Explore, play, take walking trips to destinations that are a couple of miles away.

Taking walks work wonders. When I started walking daily, I started at 1 to 1.5 miles a day and worked my way up to 3 to 4 daily with the occasional weekend walks of twice a day totaling 6 to 8 miles. I knocked off 30 lbs real quick. I am about to start doing that again as the winter months brought that to a stop.

The plus, I met some people on the street I never knew lived here. A couple of them are nice looking women too, in fact the one walked by the house the other day and mentioned she hasn't seen me walking.

Spudman
June 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
i agree....the problem is that with a 9 and 11 year old with me i can't walk fast enough or bike fast or long enough to get in a work out....laps in the pool won't be a problem because they can just play in the pool....

ww

9 and 11? There are your workout buddies right there. Just keep up with them for the day. Take them everywhere. Explore the woods, climb trees, ride bikes together, move rocks from one place to another (kids love that).

I'm just trying to make a point that it's not about the workout as much as it is about the lifestyle. Make activity a regular thing then your health will follow. Don't be impatient. We often are as we age and that is why I mention the lifestyle thing. It will happen gradually over time and then you will have adopted a lifestyle that will keep you in better shape more consistently. You wont have to 'get back in shape' because you're already there (or close to it).

Spudman
June 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hey folks,

Approximately 3,5 months ago I visited dolphinstreet.com and something strange happened. I wanted to take a look at some guitar videos but then clicked on the running link and read everything Robert writes there. I remembered the time when I was running half marathon and marathon and as music really "dictated" my life in the last 6 months, I gave it a shot. I bought new running shoes, some barbells and a puls measure clock.

I wrote down a plan that I have been following since that day and even on holiday I took 1,5 hours in the morning to work out.

Honestly, it didn't bring me any new ideas musical wise, instead I had the first time in my life that I didn't even think about guitars - and guess what - it was good! I made up my mind to train for a little Triathlon, I went looking for some nice bikes and checked swimming techniques.

The positive effect was that I lost about 14 pounds.
The even more positive effect was that I feel so energy loaded that I find my way back into making music again like I did before!

Hey Rob, here's a thank you from my side for being an motivator once more.
I was blind for thean running link until that day and I am happy that I pressed it :-)

Greetz
Jimi75

That is quite impressive. What a great story. Both you and Robert are very inspiring. Congrats on the new found life.:AOK:

marnold
June 2nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
My cardio is watching the Red Wings in the playoffs. It's just after the first OT and my BP is about 1263/876. It's held steady there for about three hours now.

Jimi75
June 3rd, 2008, 03:42 AM
Warren, I will take parts of your plan into my weekly work out routine.
It is really great to read your replies. It inspires me to go on!

warren0728
June 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Warren, I will take parts of your plan into my weekly work out routine.
It is really great to read your replies. It inspires me to go on!
thanks jimi....your original post is what has gotten me determined to get back into an exercise program myself! :AOK:

ww