PDA

View Full Version : Salutations!

Nelskie
October 21st, 2005, 07:23 PM
Greetings All -

Just another of Robert's Dolphinstreet "recruits" joining in the foray.

Since you may have missed my story on VH1's "Behind The Music", I'll try and surmise my last (23) years as a devoted student of the guitar. Inspired by the original wave of 80's hair metal, I first took up the guitar as a high school senior way, way back in 1983, and have never looked back. Midway through college, I was playing in a very bad campus cover band, and double-tracking my own original material using cheap-o boom boxes. By the time the grunge movement hit full force in the early 90's, my musical preferences had also taken a turn for the better. I discovered the blues. This discovery has proven to be instrumental to my whole outlook on the guitar, not to mention the headwaters of the many sounds, playing styles, and music that I continue to pursue today.

I now play in a very average weekend garage / basement band, with a collection of middle-aged players much like myself. On some days, we sound pretty good. On others - well . . . you know. Even in light of our obvious "average-ness", there are always smiles from ear-to-ear when we hack our way through "Tush" or "Mama Kin". Nothing like making "joyful noise", ya' know!

Anyways - enough of that. My goal in the upcoming year is to cut my own CD of original music, and filling the various roles of writer, player, producer, and CD designer. :eek:

This should prove to be interesting, at the least.

Robert
October 21st, 2005, 08:59 PM
Welcome Nelskie, it's great that you could join us! I am such a recruiter.... haha!

Your story resembles mine, actually. Started with hair metal too. However, by the time the Grunge hit us, I was in jazz and blues land. Still there.

Looking forward to hearing some from your upcoming CD!

tremoloman
November 3rd, 2005, 09:21 PM
Nice story! I saw AC/DC for my first concert when I was 7 years old. My aunt took me to see the 'Highway To Hell' tour. From that moment on I wanted a guitar. I then heard Jimi Hendrix and never looked back!

Nelskie
November 3rd, 2005, 09:36 PM
Wow. Highway To Hell-era AC~DC for a very first concert go-round. My head is spinning just thinking about it. My first show was Heart way back in 1975. Even though the show was excellent, I was more interested in the super-foxy Wilson sisters than anything else. :p