PDA

View Full Version : In praise of workhorses...

markb
June 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Lately I've been thinking about what I have and what I need and, if push came to shove, I'd be happy with these two.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2546699668_8c5563221e.jpg

The tele has a 4 way switch for faux humbucking tones and covers a wide tonal range. I use it with the "Fender" channel on my TM60 and a Fulldrive II for even more options while still needing only one trip from the car.

The J45 is just a superb acoustic, balanced enough for fingerstyle playing but huge sounding if I whack it with a flatpick. The board has a finger grease patch that goes from the bass side first fret all the way up to the 15th fret on the treble side so I must be getting a fair bit of range out of this one. The Fishman pickup is OK if the guy on the desk knows his stuff.

Anybody else care to share the instruments you just can't live without?

thearabianmage
June 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
My brain.

just strum
June 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
I'm assuming you are referring to guitars currently owned.

Mine would be my Dot and my American Strat. The two together can cover a lot of ground.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture257.jpg

stingx
June 2nd, 2008, 06:27 PM
Nice guitars markb. I especially dig that tele!

My workhorse is my Fender Lonestar because I replaced the Texas Specials with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Blues and HS-2 pups so it is dead quite and perfect for recording. The stock Duncan Pearly Gates+ adds extra versatility and is also coil split. Now it's not my favorite. That is reserved for my old childhood friend...my '83 Kramer Pacer. It is so well worn to my hands that nothing else can compare to it.

Here's the Lonestar:

http://www.stubble.org/temp/guitars/lonestar_bk_guard002sm.jpg

Now look how nicely the neck has aged on my old Kramer:

http://www.stubble.org/temp/guitars/Kramer_Pacer_Imperial-003.jpg

Rabies
June 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=stingx]Here's the Lonestar:

http://www.stubble.org/temp/guitars/lonestar_bk_guard002sm.jpg

That Lonestar is SO Gilmourish. :AOK: :AOK: :AOK: :AOK:

just strum
June 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Nice guitars markb. I especially dig that tele!

My workhorse is my Fender Lonestar because I replaced the Texas Specials with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Blues and HS-2 pups so it is dead quite and perfect for recording. The stock Duncan Pearly Gates+ adds extra versatility and is also coil split. Now it's not my favorite. That is reserved for my old childhood friend...my '83 Kramer Pacer. It is so well worn to my hands that nothing else can compare to it.

I initially couldn't see your photos, so I figure I would visit your site - :AOK: :AOK: :AOK: I don't recall going there before and I listened to your latest two additions, plus stingx does Stevie - excellent.

I finally was able to see the photos and also - excellent.

And Mark, I definitely could spend the rest of my life with those two.

stingx
June 2nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
I initially couldn't see your photos, so I figure I would visit your site - :AOK: :AOK: :AOK: I don't recall going there before and I listened to your latest two additions, plus stingx does Stevie - excellent.

I finally was able to see the photos and also - excellent.

And Mark, I definitely could spend the rest of my life with those two.

Thanks, Strum :) Stingx does Stevie is quite old. I would love to create some more new tracks but having a newborn prevents me from holing up for hours. By the way, Strum, my Lonestar's original pickguard is the same as on your red Strat which, incidentally, is a real looker. I have a thing for Strats you know :AOK:

markb
June 3rd, 2008, 02:26 AM
I'm assuming you are referring to guitars currently owned.

Sort of an anti-GAS thread, Strum (I hope I won't get banned for suggesting such a thing ;) ). Just with a little more leeway than "the one you'd grab if the house was on fire" as it were.

Ro3b
June 3rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Here's me with mine:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/2704733198108a5d.jpg

Guild D-35, purchased new in 1985. I have no interest in owning any other acoustic. It's like my voice: others might be "better," but this one's mine.

I haven't owned any of my electrics long enough for any of them to achieve warhorse status. It takes some time for the stories to be played into a guitar.

sunvalleylaw
June 3rd, 2008, 08:20 AM
I've said it before. That is a really nice one.

Brian Krashpad
June 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Although I suppose I could "live without" nuimerous of my guitars, I ain't got a "pretty" or collectable" one amongst 'em.

They're ALL workhorses in my stable.

http://a818.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/83/l_2664799c36624c57e377ebc1dee590b9.jpg

bigoldron
June 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
That's a real sweet stable there Brian! They're all beauties and I couldn't (or wouldn't) get rid of any of them! You've got a lot to be proud of! Keep on workin' those babies, brother! :rockon: :dude:

just strum
June 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Krashpad]Although I suppose I could "live without" nuimerous of my guitars, I ain't got a "pretty" or collectable" one amongst 'em.

Stable, hell that's a rabbits burrow. You figure out a way to breed those things?

SuperSwede
June 8th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Krash, it looks like the top right slot is empty... time to go shopping again? ;)

just strum
June 8th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Krash, it looks like the top right slot is empty... time to go shopping again? ;)

When a need arises, one must oblige.

Brian Krashpad
June 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Haha, no, I just bought myself the blue one on the top left last month with some birthday money, I'm pretty sure this is the max number I've had. I got the P-90 Strat for a few reasons, it sort of filled several niches at once (have never had: a hardtail/toploader Strat, nor a Strat with anything besides 3 singles, nor a Strat with a rosewood board), but mainly because it was a cheapie and I didn't have to go out of pocket for it. Just over a Benjamin (that's US slang for $100) plus shipping (a little steep at $45).

It'd actually been probably just over a year since the last guitar's purchase. Clearly, I don't need any more so at this point it's mainly finding things that fill niches in the group and are good deals. My 3 most recent are all cheapies, all around $100 USD each.

Brian Krashpad
June 8th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Stable, hell that's a rabbit's burrow. You figure out a way to breed those things?

Haha, no I'm just real good (read: lucky) at finding bargains. The most expensive one there cost me $750 US (the LP Classic w/ohsc), after that there are another 4 or 5 at around the $400-$500 mark.

But the other 2/3 of the group are all in the $100-$250 range, a lot of them at the lower edge of that. I luvs me some cheap guitars. It's crazy what one can get for next to nothing nowdays.

just strum
June 8th, 2008, 08:02 AM
But the other 2/3 of the group are all in the $100-$250 range, a lot of them at the lower edge of that. I luvs me some cheap guitars. It's crazy what one can get for next to nothing nowdays.

I think I mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating.

I recall an article just before Christmas about three years ago where they work talking about the rising cost of video game equipment and the dropping of prices on acoustic and electric guitars. They predicted as the video games became out of reach of many parents, Johnny and Janet would be finding guitars under the tree in place of the video items. However, many of those kids would not find the instruments as addictive as video games. The end result would be a glut of guitars on the used market through e-bay, local ads and garage sales.

Not all those "great deals" out there are the result of someone looking to upgrade. The market has an abundance of "work horses" out there. It may get to the point if you buy a used guitar, you might get a free house thrown in - sad.

Plank_Spanker
June 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
My number one work horse...............

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_1189.jpg

just strum
June 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=Plank_Spanker]My number one work horse...............

Sweet!!!

Hey, I guess I can claim to have a "Workhorse from the Plank Spanker Collection". Wham, bam, it just went up in value.

Brian Krashpad
June 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
My number one work horse...............

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_1189.jpg

Looks great. What color/finish is that called?

Katastrophe
June 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM

I don't know what Gibson calls it, but I'd label it "bad@$$ green." I drool every time I see a pic of that particular LP.

BTW, Planky, that's no workhorse, that's a full on Thoroughbred!:AOK:

bigoldron
June 13th, 2008, 05:17 PM

A man after my own heart. I like to call my self the "King of Cheap". I've got a Washburn WI64DL, a Washburn Idol Prototype (basically a WI66 w/P90's), a Washburn House of Blues, a Washburn G30 acoustic, a Silvertone bass, and a Yamaha 112 strat copy. The most expensive one was just under $200, one was $170 and the rest were a LOT less expensive, with the cheapest being $32. I even bought a Washburn X33 strat copy last week for just under a $100, but wasn't impressed enough to keep it, so I sold it to my daughter's boyfriend for what I had in it. God, I love Ebay!

I don't know if you CAN have too many guitars! Rock on, dude! :rockon: :dude:

t_ross33
June 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'd have to go with this one, for now anyway. Gigged with it for the first time since I mod'ed it last weekend. Broke a string on my HB-30, so grabbed my Tele, kicked in the bridge mounted bucker and pushed a 59 bassman model with a tube screamer (again modelled in my GNX3K) and YOWZA!! Very sweet. Serves my version of chickin pickin too.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/PIC_0179.jpg

My second would have to be this one (my Yammy). It was my Dad's, passed down to me and the one I learned on. Still gets pulled out from time to time and my favorite "campfire" axe.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/PIC00006.jpg

Plank_Spanker
June 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Brian,

It's "Pacific Reef"

just strum
June 14th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Plank,

Sometimes my memory fails me, but eventually it comes back. I now recall when we were dealing with the Strat I commented the one this I didn't have was a green guitar. So now I recall you saying "You know Mark, I'll throw in the green LP as part of the deal" and if I recall correctly you referred to the deal as a Christmas theme (for those that don't know, the Strat is red).

Boy, I'm glad you posted the pic and caused my memory to come back - you know my address.:D

Plank_Spanker
June 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Plank,

Sometimes my memory fails me, but eventually it comes back. I now recall when we were dealing with the Strat I commented the one this I didn't have was a green guitar. So now I recall you saying "You know Mark, I'll throw in the green LP as part of the deal" and if I recall correctly you referred to the deal as a Christmas theme (for those that don't know, the Strat is red).

Boy, I'm glad you posted the pic and caused my memory to come back - you know my address.:D

Hmmmmmm.........................

I can't say that I recall that conversation....................must have been the martinis talking...............:D

Brian Krashpad
June 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I don't know if you CAN have too many guitars! Rock on, dude! :rockon: :dude:

Haha, well actually, I am kinda running out of room. Thank heavens no one bats an eye about me storing half of my crap at work, or a lot of the stuff would have to go.

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Although I suppose I could "live without" nuimerous of my guitars, I ain't got a "pretty" or collectable" one amongst 'em.

While they may not be collectible, I think you have some mighty pretty ones. My personal favorite is the '52 reissue tele. When I add a tele, I want it to look a lot like that. :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
June 20th, 2008, 06:22 AM
While they may not be collectible, I think you have some mighty pretty ones. My personal favorite is the '52 reissue tele. When I add a tele, I want it to look a lot like that. :AOK:

Thanks, that "blackguard" look with the butterscotch is a pretty iconic look. Prior to the '52 RI I owned a similar-looking guitar. It was a MIJ Squier from the 80's. Though I didn't realize it when I bought it, it had previously been owned by a former bandmate of mine. He had put a black guard on it, sanded off the "Squier" decal and put a Fender spahetti logo on it (I knew it was a Squier). Here's a pic of the '52's predecessor in action:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/82001fullfar.jpg

When Crash Pad recorded our CD a few years ago I was in the process of trying out the '52, the seller was a friend from church so he let me try it out before I bought it, and then to top that he sold it to me for $400 US, w/ohsc, in pristine shape! Our engineer/recordist, who was an old acquaintance of mine from the local rock scene (he has recorded almost everyone from the local punk/indie scene who has come out of Gainesville: LTJ, Hot Water Music, Against Me!, etc.) wanted to buy the '52 from me and it wasn't even mine yet! I told him about that and said I would sell him the MIJ for $300 instead. So he bought the Squier off me, and I bought the '52.

Win-win!

hubberjub
June 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Not vintage or historically significant but a great gigging guitar. My Modulus Genesis CT3 has been my main guitar for about a year and a half. The graphite reinforced neck never goes out of whack between gigs.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/westfest.jpg