PDA

View Full Version : It is the Me

FatCat
June 3rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
Hi Guys

I am new here and thought I'd introduce myself. I am 26 and I live in South Africa.

I have been playing for about 2 years now, but I've always had a great passion for music, just took me way too long to actually pick up a guitar and get through that first stage where you can't make any chord sound good.

I play mainly country and old classics like Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond, Fleetwood Mac etc.

I currently have a Cort MR720F, but will probably get an electric setup soon, I want to try my hand at playing the blues. Still trying to decide if I want a Les Paul or Strat knockoff (no way I can afford an original Gibson or Fender).

I play a little harp as well.

Well, bye for now!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/FatBoyMan/CortMR720F.jpg

markb
June 3rd, 2008, 02:22 AM
Hi from one of the few other southern hemisphere Fretters, FatCat, and the answer you seek is that you want a Telecaster :)

Tone E
June 3rd, 2008, 03:14 AM
Howdy, welcome.

Buy a squier. Licenced fender copy very nice quality instrument and inexpensive.

Algonquin
June 3rd, 2008, 04:39 AM
Welcome to the Fret FatCat.
Cheers :beer:

mrmudcat
June 3rd, 2008, 05:30 AM
Welcome!!

thearabianmage
June 3rd, 2008, 06:24 AM
Hey there FatCat, welcome to this friendly middle-aged forum! There are plenty of people here who can help you learn whatever kind of music you want! You just gotta remember one thing: Have Fun!!!

Are you from Johannesburg or Capetown?

sunvalleylaw
June 3rd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Welcome FatCat!

warren0728
June 3rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
welcome fatcat....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Robert
June 3rd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Welcome fatcat :wave:

Brian Krashpad
June 3rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Tot zein!

Or however you spell it. My Afrikaans is limited to one phrase.

luvmyshiner
June 3rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the Fret Fatcat.

Childbride
June 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Welcome! :D :beer:

just strum
June 3rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Welcome FatCat. I agree with Markb and Tone E, now you have to narrow it down to either

this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/StratDSMPW--Main

or this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleSSRATB/
Or better yet - both.

Another option - find a used Squier or a used Fender.

FatCat
June 4th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the warm welcome and tips on which guitar I should take! Yea I am looking at a squier standard strat at the moment, will add the telecaster to the finalists.

Tot zein!

Or however you spell it. My Afrikaans is limited to one phrase.

Mmm that looks like "Totsiens" which means goodbye lol. What were you trying to say? Hehe NIce try though!

Hey there FatCat, welcome to this friendly middle-aged forum! There are plenty of people here who can help you learn whatever kind of music you want! You just gotta remember one thing: Have Fun!!!

Are you from Johannesburg or Capetown?

I am from Cape Town.

While we are at it, do any of you have experience with a Cort G254, or the G25x range in general? They look like nice guitars to me!

Ciao

Tone E
June 4th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Yea I am looking at a squier standard strat at the moment

I have a Squier standard double fat and I can tell you that they are nice quality piece of gear. Though I have heard reports from folks on this forum and at the fender forum that quality control can be an issue with these so make sure you inspect the one that you intend to buy beforehand. Mine is nice, I am sure that for a beginner like myself it is as good as any other instrument. Wish I had bought one with single cois though.

just strum
June 4th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Mmm that looks like "Totsiens" which means goodbye lol. What were you trying to say? Hehe NIce try though!

Hmmm, I think we have someone here that speaks fluent Totsiens.:D

Gil Janus
June 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I have a Squier standard double fat and I can tell you that they are nice quality piece of gear. Though I have heard reports from folks on this forum and at the fender forum that quality control can be an issue with these so make sure you inspect the one that you intend to buy beforehand. Mine is nice, I am sure that for a beginner like myself it is as good as any other instrument. Wish I had bought one with single cois though.

Welcome to TheFret. I have a Squier Standard Strat in Cherryburst. I really like the guitar - I only had to put new strings on mine - it was correct out of the box - no issues. I got it last July. Here's a quick shot with my favorite strap - a Sedona from eyelandenterprises. :AOK:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/323247b70837e90b9.jpg

Gil :cool:

ted s
June 4th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Belated welcome fatcat !

ET335
June 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Welcome FatCat!!

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Welcome to TheFret, FatCat. Happy to have you with us. :AOK: :rockon:

FatCat
June 9th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks again for all the welcomes!

I have changed my mind, after speaking to a few okes and spending way too much time at music stores, I am now searching for my perfect Telecaster.

Yea well not perfect, but good enough to start on. My current feel is for the Squier Vintage Modified Thinline Tele.

Guitar Gal
June 9th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Welcome aboard FatCat :D

GG

oldguy
June 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Welcome to TheFret! :) Glad you joined us here, FatCat.

I play a little harp as well.

That's OK. When you get more money you can always buy a big harp. :rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
June 14th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Hmmm, I think we have someone here that speaks fluent Totsiens.:D
Yes but noone knows what Tot by itself means.

Welcome the Me from the Us!

SuperSwede
June 14th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Welcome!

dws
June 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Welcome, FatCat!

scgmhawk
June 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM
:beer: :dude: