PDA

View Full Version : "Oh no you cant play guitar ..........

mrmudcat
June 3rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
........in fact you might not play again,ever.":whatever:

Whats that doctor I cant hear you my les paul is on fire and my carvin fullstack is on 11!!!!!:rockon::DR :R :greenguitar:

warren0728
June 3rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
i know several people who are doing now what the doctors told them they couldn't do anymore! :beer:

ww

thearabianmage
June 3rd, 2008, 07:31 AM
Hey man, people like to think that doctors know everything about humans. . . That when you are sick, you go to a doctor, you take medicine, and you are better. Hell no. Doctors haven't even scratched the available knowledge on the human body. There is sooo much they don't know!

And what's more? The human brain is the most powerful tool on the planet, capable of feats that people 'in the know' would like to believe, or dismiss, as impossible.

Mind-over-matter is proof of that. Master that, and no illness can get in your way.

Jimi75
June 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
"Mind-over-matter is proof of that. Master that, and no illness can get in your way"

Well said!

:master:

Robert
June 3rd, 2008, 07:40 AM
Mind over matter, I agree. I was told I should not expect to ever run much again. Look at me now! I am doing 2 marathons this year, with no injury pain whatsoever (except for regular marathon pain).

mrmudcat
June 3rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Great words all!!

Mind over matter sounds good on the puter screen but due to recent events my arm is pretty thrashed. For now its prescription drugs /mother nature over matter :rotflmao: ;)

:rockon:

bigoldron
June 3rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Doctors do have their opinions, but we all know that opinions are like buttholes, everybody's got one... :whatever:

Muddie, my boy, just keep on rockin'! :rockon: :R :DR :beavisnbutthead: :dude:

thearabianmage
June 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Great words all!!

Mind over matter sounds good on the puter screen but due to recent events my arm is pretty thrashed. For now its prescription drugs /mother nature over matter :rotflmao: ;)

:rockon:

Well, I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with your arm, but if it can still move it then there's still hope. And if it's still attached to your body, then you are better off than many people in the world.

It's easy to say 'don't think about it' - especially when I'm thousands of miles away in a cozy little pub typing with two hands.

There's always a way around obstacles you are faced with. Take these people for example:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9v2WiITe8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WQZ4abbKqHg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LX2f35ZjbMc

I just want to show you that there are people with less that do things most would think is just impossible. Keep rockin, dude! There's a way!

Bloozcat
June 3rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
As much as MD's know, there is far more that they don't know...just like the rest of humanity. Trouble is, many of them don't want to hear that, let alone believe it.

I'm a great believer in alternative medicine and kinesiology. I've witnessed cures first hand from alternative medicine while mainstream medical science was still steadfastly treating the symptoms of the disease...to no avail.

I have several friends who are doctors including orthopods, opthomologists, endodontists, oncologists, and plastic surgeons. These guys are very competent doctors in their fields, but it's weird how they live in denial as to the effectiveness of alternative treatments...despite the overwhelming evidence that's right in front of them.

mrmudcat
June 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Im all about alternative medicine..God and or mothernature got it right!:master:

thearabianmage
June 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Believe in whatever medicine you want and anything will work, just so long as you believe.

Eddie Van Halen told a brain tumour to get out of his head.

A young girl in Cheddar (not just a friend of a friend, but a girl I know personally and have bought drinks for etc.) had cancer of the throat at age 16, it then spread and started sprouting small tumours over her entire body via her bloodstream. Doctor's gave her a few months to live. That was years ago. Last I heard, she was engaged and tumour-free. Just don't give up.

Childbride
June 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Good vibes and high fives from the Shiner household. may nothing but good things and healing come your way, whatever happened. :)

Happy Things, dude, think Happy Things.

just strum
June 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Mudcat, the little bit I know of you, I just can't see you giving up because a doctor thinks you can't. Work slowly and steadily - you are too pigheaded to just stop playing.:rockon:

Katastrophe
June 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Give 'em hell, Mudcat!

There's a reason why they call it practicing medicine.:rockon:

street music
June 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Mudcat, There is more medicine in the guitar than any of the doctors know about. Hang in there man, well wishes to you and yours.

Jipes
June 4th, 2008, 03:50 AM
When I has the first Tinitus attack the doctor say"Well you have to get use to it there's far more nasty stuff to get" :thwap: What a stupid guy hopefully I found a true spe******t who hepled me a lot. the same goes with my back problem most of the times these regular doctors don't know much and just try to stuff you with disturbing allopathic pain killer stuff just good to kill your poor stomach :mad:

Kazz
June 4th, 2008, 04:57 AM
why is spe******t asterisked out?

duhvoodooman
June 4th, 2008, 05:37 AM
why is spe******t asterisked out?
This came up before. Spell out what's asterisked: C-I-A-L-I-S. Your friendly forum SPAM-filter at work!

Keep on keepin' on, Mud! :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

Bloozcat
June 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Let me share something that happened to me Mudcat....

About 9 years ago, I had a very serious accident with a circular saw (skillsaw type). In a freak occurance, the blade cut into the webbing of my left hand, severing muscle, tendon, ligament, an artery, and nerves. Fortuntely it missed bone, or this story might not have ended well.

As bad as it was, I was surprisingly calm after it happened, and had to direct my wife through her panic to get me to the hospital. The emergency room doc examined my hand and was trying to decide whether to close up the wound, or call in a special*st. I simply told the doctor that I was going to make it easy for him. Call in the special*st. I knew that damage was extensive, and I'm not sure why the emergency room doctor failed to grasp this, but no matter, he acceded to my wishes and called in a special*st.

Purely by the luck of the draw, the special*st on call that day was a plastic surgeon who specialized in hand injuries. All I can say is, God was really looking out for me that day, because this doctor was as good as they get. What even he thought would be about an hour of surgery, turned into 3-1/2 hours. So thorough was he, that he would not close up the wound until he was certain that he had repaired all the damage, and completely cleaned out the excess damaged tissue. As he told me later, he didn't like going back in at a later date to fix what he should have gotten the first time around.

Well, the surgeon had done his part. He gave me a fighting chance at getting the full use of my hand back. Now it was up to me to finish what he started. After the initial healing process had passed, I was assigned to physical therapy to work the hand back into shape. I went through the hand massages, the stretching of the damaged muscle, tendons, and ligaments, and I did the the grip strenghtening exercises. To say that I pushed the limits of what they would allow me to do, is an understatement. I had been an athlete throughout high school and beyond, so I knew how to push through the pain to rehabilitate injuries. I knew that I was responsible for my own success at this point. I watched many of the others in the outpatient rehab while I was there for mine. So many of them acted completely helpless, like it was solely the responsibility of the physical therapist to fix them. That only served to strenghten my resolve.

Now here's the part that relates to this forum and hopefully to you and your problem, Mudcat. I had not been playing guitar much before the accident. I had pared my equipment down to just an accoustic guitar and a couple of harmonicas. But now, faced with the reality that I might not ever play again, rehabbing my hand suddenly became monumentally important. As it's said sometimes, we don't miss something until it's gone.

As I had said earlier, it was my left hand that was injured...my fretting hand. With the muscle that allows for prehensile manipulation that's essential for playing a guitar in question, it was going to be a task to regain the movement that I had, until the accident, taken for granted. Well, rather than doing exercises that would hopefully enable me to eventually play the guitar again, it became the playing of the guitar that enabled full use of my hand again...for everything. There were no exercises that the physical therapist could devise that were anywhere close to those required in fretting and playing a guitar.

Each time I went in for my "treatments" the physical therapist would test the strength of my hand using a gripping device with a scale on it. She was amazed that each time I took this test, my hand was stronger than the last. Not after the treatments, before the treatments. The power of the guitar...

It got to the point of somewhat of a joke between me and the therapist. She almost felt like an observer rather than an active participant in my rehabilitation. It became so much of a joke that one day when I went for my treatment, the therapist said to me; "The doctor wants you to begin aggressive physical therapy starting today. You know, what you've been doing for the last three weeks. He wants you to start that today."

So, what I'm trying to say here in this lengthy essay, Mudcat, is that rather than adopting that doctor's philosophy that you might not play again because of an injury, maybe think of playing as the treatment for the injury.

I can only hope it works for you as it did for me....:AOK:

mrmudcat
June 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks Blooz!:beer:

I have come to me senses though and will give it a rest for now!!.I'm afraid if I dont then I might really mess things up.:whatever:

I was thinking about going fishing though!!:D

Somehow my boys talked me into dropping in on a 6ft half pipe today:thwap:

Needless to say that I made it to the bottom where I preceded to dump it:dude: I did look cool though in front of their friends:rotflmao:

My angel is still pissed off so no hanky panky in muds house if I dont conform.shape up or ship out:beer: :D

Of course im feeling no pain(meds) and headed for bed :AOK: soon

jpfeifer
June 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Mudcat,

Keep playing and don't listen to what the doc says.

Maybe you will have to take it easy for a while and build your strength back but it will come. Don't give up on it and keep the positive attitude, which is the most powerful thing.

When it comes to doctors, you can't always believe what they say. Their opinions can come from a lot of different things and they don't know the strength of your will the way that you do.

I heard a funny story about the comedian George Burns, who lived to a ripe old age. One time someone asked him what the secret to longevity was. He said "I have a 1 cigar everyday and two martini's at lunch", to which the person asked "what does your doctor think of that?", George Burns replied "My doctor died 15 years ago". :-)

-- Jim