PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista problems

Tone2TheBone
June 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
My sister's computer came with Vista loaded on it. They're having a problem with the computer reading digital cameras and CDs with saved images on them. The computer is telling them that the images are "incompatible JPEG"s. The images of course are still on the SD cards as you can see them on a computer using XP and the USB connector. Vista blows! Does anyone know how to spank the Vista OS into submission so that these kinds of problems don't occur?

...other than removing the OS from the computer and installing XP. Anyone have a computer nerd bug fix?

...and shaddup Mac users.

Robert
June 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Guess what my answer would be? :D M :D A :D C! :D

warren0728
June 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
everything i have read about vista...the best thing is do format the hard drive and install windows xp....i know you didn't want to hear that but that is your best bet....vista is still way to buggy for daily use. :thwap:

or better yet....get a mac! :poke:

ww

luvmyshiner
June 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hey Tone, i goggled "vista incompatible jpeg" and couldn't find anything that seemed to address the problem. This is going to sound stupid, but have you updated all the drivers?

Tone2TheBone
June 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Well I dunno it's not my computer it's my sisters. I'm getting the information about it as it comes via email. I haven't actually sat down and seen what it's doing. A while back prior to this current problem my sister called me on the phone to ask why her computer wasn't showing the cam photos on the CD I had just burned for her days before. When I saved her photos to a CD using her computer they all burned perfectly...yet a few days later her computer wasn't showing anything. I'm just blaming it all on Vista but you may be right about updating all drivers on her computer Shiner. Who knows. I just know that Vista is weird and I can't believe Microshaft will be discontinuing XP with so many "issues" involving their new OS. This is getting to be too much. Soaring gas and food prices...aliens invading our privacy...and Windows XP going away...the world is coming to an end I'm telling you.

Robert
June 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
The world coming to an end? Not as long as you have a MAC! :D :poke:

Tone2TheBone
June 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
The world coming to an end? Not as long as you have a MAC! :D :poke:

*grabs your shoe and throws it at you* :rotflmao:

Robert
June 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
*blocks it with my MacBook Pro* - no harm done! :)

Tone2TheBone
June 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
*blocks it with my MacBook Pro* - no harm done! :)

*steals your Xbox360 and your Orange Box when you blocked your shoe*

thearabianmage
June 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Download Linux. It's meant to be the dog's bollocks as far as OS are concerned.

And it's free. . .

sunvalleylaw
June 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Now, now Robert, no gloating. ;-)

just strum
June 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
*steals your Xbox360 and your Orange Box when you blocked your shoe*

And to complete the play I took the mac when he tried to stop you from taking the Xbox360 and Orange Box.

I replaced it with a commodore 64, he'll never know the difference.:D :poke:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/CommadoreLogo.png

Algonquin
June 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Tone, I can't offer any advice but I can offer this...
80sWifG40B0
I love these commercials :)

luvmyshiner
June 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Another thought Tone, make sure she's downloaded all of the updates and patches for Vista.

By the way Strummy, COMMODORE RULES!:master:

I wouldn't know though, I'm still using a Timex Sinclair 1000.:thwap:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/ts1000.jpg

just strum
June 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Tone, I can't offer any advice but I can offer this...
80sWifG40B0
I love these commercials :)

How much you want to bet Robert has the whole collection?

Robert
June 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
How much you want to bet Robert has the whole collection?
:bravo: :D :rotflmao:

Place your bets, dear friends... :D

bigoldron
June 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Download Linux. It's meant to be the dog's bollocks as far as OS are concerned.

And it's free. . .

Yeah, try Ubuntu or Fedora, you might actually like it!

bigoldron
June 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
:bravo: :D :rotflmao:

Place your bets, dear friends... :D

I'm going with the safe money on this one! :D :rotflmao:

Tone2TheBone
June 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Another thought Tone, make sure she's downloaded all of the updates and patches for Vista.

By the way Strummy, COMMODORE RULES!:master:

I wouldn't know though, I'm still using a Timex Sinclair 1000.:thwap:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/ts1000.jpg

Thank you Shiner for your help sir. I'll have to bring their box to my house and download all patches and updates because they don't have internet access at their home. Makes a lot of sense. :dude:

Tim
June 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I have Vista on my new laptop. I bought it in January and have not had any problems. I have downloaded pics from cameras. SD cards, downloaded MP3s made CDs and just about everything I can through at it. I never had a failure.

Justaguyin_nc
June 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I also have very few problems in Vista...
I hated it when I got it..
I am now very comfortable with it..
Using the AutoUpdates might be the secret.

You really don't think Vista cannot show a normal JPEG file do you? :)
Everything is without fault...
Just ask a MAC user to be honest.. he'll tell ya..maybe...;)
I can remember when XP was hated... now loved..
Vista still gives me the Blue screen of DOOM sometimes on a reboot..
you know after running the sytem without one for a week or two..:)
Other than that.. it's usually the third parties fault if something is not working right in Vista.
Get it updated...and see what program created the CD's and SD pictures.
also try file association to make sure their extension is recognized properly.

stingx
June 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I also have very few problems in Vista...
I hated it when I got it..
I am now very comfortable with it..
Using the AutoUpdates might be the secret.

You really don't think Vista cannot show a normal JPEG file do you? :)
Everything is without fault...
Just ask a MAC user to be honest.. he'll tell ya..maybe...;)
I can remember when XP was hated... now loved..
Vista still gives me the Blue screen of DOOM sometimes on a reboot..
you know after running the sytem without one for a week or two..:)
Other than that.. it's usually the third parties fault if something is not working right in Vista.
Get it updated...and see what program created the CD's and SD pictures.
also try file association to make sure their extension is recognized properly.

As a long time Unix engineer I hate all of the lesser OSes :) I have to be honest though, Vista absolutely rocks. I've haven't any issues and nothing but pleasure out of my new rocketship of a machine. Works puuuuuuuuuuuurfectly for gaming - I get sick framerates, as well as for productivity - having 4 cores and abundance of RAM allows me to do all kinds of video editing and media ripping in almost no time at all. Hate is just another word for jealousy and for those of you with issues let me just say this - 99.9% of the time the problem lies between the chair and the keyboard. :D

warren0728
June 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
As a long time Unix engineer I hate all of the lesser OSes :)
i would think you would like apple's osx then since it's core is a unix build....in fact you can drop into root at anytime to code or change the way osx looks and operates....

ww

stingx
June 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
i would think you would like apple's osx then since it's core is a unix build....in fact you can drop into root at anytime to code or change the way osx looks and operates....

ww

Darwin is indeed interesting to me, however I greatly dislike the closed, proprietary nature of the Mac. If based solely on OS I would just pick Linux installed on fast architecture.

warren0728
June 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Darwin is indeed interesting to me, however I greatly dislike the closed, proprietary nature of the Mac. If based solely on OS I would just pick Linux installed on fast architecture.
while the core might not be open source osx is a (taken from the apple website) fully-conformant UNIX operating system—built on Mach 3.0 and FreeBSD 5—bundles over a hundred of the most popular Open Source products. You can shell out with bash, tcsh, ksh, and zsh; edit your code with emacs, vim, and nano; and build your projects using gcc, make, and autoconf.

Need something a little higher-level? Run your X11 apps side-by-side with native apps using X11R7 from X.org. Serve your web site with Apache 2.0 and PHP 5. Start scripting with Ruby and Python, and build web applications with the Ruby on Rails framework. You can even measure your application's performance using DTrace from OpenSolaris.

i run linux on my webserver (rhel 5.2) with apache and cpanel for web hosting....would love to experiment with an osx server....

ww

Robert
June 9th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Do you like the closed, proprietary nature of MS Windows any better? If so, why?

stingx
June 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Do you like the closed, proprietary nature of MS Windows any better? If so, why?

Talking about hardware, Robert. This is just me, so others perhaps don't care, but I like going to computer shows and I like buying parts for any particular PC I have laying around as I so please. New motherboard out with a better, faster feature that strikes my fancy...swap it out, etc. Faster RAM available...fetch me some (and not priced more because it's Steve Jobs blessed RAM either). There are very few, if any, available items for Macs at any of these shows. I don't like that parts have to come from Apple and are more pricey because there is no competition.

warren0728
June 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Talking about hardware, Robert. This is just me, so others perhaps don't care, but I like going to computer shows and I like buying parts for any particular PC I have laying around as I so please. New motherboard out with a better, faster feature that strikes my fancy...swap it out, etc. Faster RAM available...fetch me some (and not priced more because it's Steve Jobs blessed RAM either). There are very few, if any, available items for Macs at any of these shows. I don't like that parts have to come from Apple and are more pricey because there is no competition.
hhmmmm...i have third party ram in both my powerbook and my g5 tower....also have third party hard drives in both....lots of people put in third party video cards and cd/dvd drives too....you might not be able to pick up a motherboard at the computer shows but most other peripherals work just fine with apple....oh yeah and when i buy external peripherals...scanners....hard drives....printers....i just plug them in and they work.....there is something to be said for having control of your product and not be at the mercy of hundreds of vendors whose specs are not always the same and whose hardware might not be compatible with windoze.... :poke:

ww

Robert
June 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I think the benefit of having the main hardware more closed is why it works so much better than a Windows box. All the parts are developed and tested a lot, so the final product will work well. No nightmares with custom-made systems where there are driver conflicts, etc.

And I just have to be honest - I have never had a Windows box work as smoothly as this Mac does. Anyway, this is slightly off topic, so sorry! Ya'll know I really love Mac after my recent divorce from Windows... This 2nd marriage is so much betta! :AOK:

stingx
June 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I'm bowing outta this conversation too :whatever:

http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/3730/a0370fb.gif

warren0728
June 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I think the benefit of having the main hardware more closed is why it works so much better than a Windows box. All the parts are developed and tested a lot, so the final product will work well. No nightmares with custom-made systems where there are driver conflicts, etc.
exactly...i was trying to say that but you said it better!! :beer:

ww

Justaguyin_nc
June 9th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I justa wonder if TONE ever got the problem solved.

This MAC/Windows debate will go on forever..
tis very true tho.. if you own the only motherboards..
your product will work just fine.
Also, if you just wear gray everyday.. oh never mind...
If an OS is that good.. oh nevermind...

fortunate.. MAC will someday Die like the rest and then us Linux people can live happily ever after..
What's their market share now? :poke:

I mean Windows users Windows Users!!
did I say Linux?

SuperSwede
June 10th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Justa justa justa.. :D

Someday you will leave the dark side and embrace the teachings of Jedi Jobs.