PDA

View Full Version : Love My Toyota's

just strum
June 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
I've noted a few comments on here about my Toyota's, but this video sums it up as to why. They are not indestructible, but dollar for dollar I think they are one of the best cars out there today.

Warning, the guy does swear a bit while messing with this car, so keep the kids out of the room. Other than that, it's a clean video.

uUiCJosMGaM

Robert
June 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
We have a Toyota Sienna, I like it a lot. I'd really like a Prius though.

just strum
June 3rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
We have a Toyota Sienna, I like it a lot.

I have five of them (Toyota's) so needless to say... Right now each guitar has it's own car.

I'd really like a Prius though.

Sell you Mac and get one.:poke:

Sprinter
June 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
There is no way a car that has been sitting for seven years will start that easily. The gas would not be any good after sitting for that length of time. That car had to be previously started on fresh fuel, or it hasn't been sitting for seven years. The video is a hoax.

Sprinter

just strum
June 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
There is no way a car that has been sitting for seven years will start that easily. The gas would not be any good after sitting for that length of time. That car had to be previously started on fresh fuel, or it hasn't been sitting for seven years. The video is a hoax.

Sprinter

I've seen amazing things with Toyota's and Mercedes. Mine has been sitting for a year outside and as soon as I fix the fuel line I'll report back.

As for the Cressida, that car was definitely sitting in that spot and it doesn't appear any work had been done on it. Even if he put fresh gas in it - so what!

I've purchased them new (Camry) and the only thing I did on one was tires, brakes, oil, and exhaust - absolutely nothing else - original plugs, wires, timing belt (actually a chain back then) and drove it 210K miles before trading it in on the one that currently has a broken return fuel line.

Tone2TheBone
June 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Had 3 of them. Corolla, Tundra and Camry. My next zip around town car is another Corolla. The hybrids sound cool but I don't know how much the batteries are when they go out. I'll stick with the Corolla.

Tim
June 4th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I am on my 4th Toyota. They are great cars as long as you follow Toyota's guidelines on maintenance. Protect the engine with documented oil changes.

Sprinter
June 5th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I am on my 4th Toyota. They are great cars as long as you follow Toyota's guidelines on maintenance. Protect the engine with documented oil changes.

That's the difference between import & domestic car owners. Import owners typically do a better job of keeping up with the auto manufactures recommended maintenance routine. Domestic owners typically drive their vehicles until they quit, and then gripe.

Sprinter

Algonquin
June 5th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Had 3 of them. Corolla, Tundra and Camry. My next zip around town car is another Corolla. The hybrids sound cool but I don't know how much the batteries are when they go out. I'll stick with the Corolla.
Hybrids make great 'zip around town' cars by getting excellent mileage in stop and go traffic, but check with your insurance company regarding rates first. Rates will likely be much higher than a standard auto due to accident repair costs.

Hybrids are still new enough that there isn't a lot of data to substantiate higher repair costs... but the insurance companies are charging higher premiums just to be safe (for them)

Bloozcat
June 5th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I'm on my third 4-wheel drive Toyota - a short bed pickup, a 4-Runner, and my current Tacoma pickup. They're just great vehicles. I kept the 4-Runner for 185k and 13 years. It still ran great when I sold it, but it needed some front end work after all the years of off road use I put it through.

I've gotten used to never replacing starters, alternators, fuel pumps, and water pumps. I've never replaced any on the three trucks I've owned. And because I only buy them with four cylinder engines, there's no timing belts to replace...they all have chains.

Tone2TheBone
June 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hybrids make great 'zip around town' cars by getting excellent mileage in stop and go traffic, but check with your insurance company regarding rates first. Rates will likely be much higher than a standard auto due to accident repair costs.

Hybrids are still new enough that there isn't a lot of data to substantiate higher repair costs... but the insurance companies are charging higher premiums just to be safe (for them)

I'll stick with the Corolla for my next car. That should last me until they come out with the George Jetson cars.

sunvalleylaw
June 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I love my buddy's prius and they seem to do really well. I am waiting for them to come out with a hybrid van. We love our 93 Previa all wheel drive van. It rocks in the snow and is very practical. Soccer moms and dads need a good hybrid van! I loved my 90 4runner too, but the seat ended up hurting my sciatic nerve and the head gasket on that 6 cylinder motor had issues. It towed a boat over Galena pass (8700 ft elevation) just fine in 3rd gear. I was glad it was a stick, and it performed well for us.

just strum
June 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Well there seems to be a few Toyota fans here.

If you are a DIY'er and looking for technical advice, I found two good forums.

the first is Toyota Nation
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252946

The forum covers all models, including those no longer manufactured. If you are looking for technical information, this is a good forum to check out.

The other is geared almost exclusively for Corolla's and is called Corolland

http://www.corolland.com

in the past week I found the Corolla folks at this site to superior knowledge than the Corolla folks at Toyota Nation. Although I found the Camry folks at Toyota Nation to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

TN is a more detailed forum that has a section for every model, and a section for every generation within the model grouping. Set up similar to thefret you will find it similar to navigate. It does get slow at times, but I believe they did some upgrades today to help that.

Corolland is not as fancy of a forum, but as I have said, the people there seem to be very knowledgeable. It's a basic forum with little bells and whistles.

Plank_Spanker
June 9th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I'm on my third Toyota truck, and I've loved them all. I drove my previous truck for 14 years before I sold it to a friend. He has just over 220,000 miles on it and it's still going strong.

I have a Tacoma now that's my baby. :D

sumitomo
June 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I work on toyotas daily for 35+ years good rigs except for the v6's from 89-94.I am playing with hydrogen,propane injection and other fuel adds like xlyene ect.,this oil hike is staged in my sight our dependence on fossil fuel is on its way out,the cars will run even longer if run on hydrogen (gas)yes the same motor that is in there now and it will clean up the air as it is running.Sumi:D

just strum
June 9th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I work on toyotas daily for 35+ years good rigs except for the v6's from 89-94.I am playing with hydrogen,propane injection and other fuel adds like xlyene ect.,this oil hike is staged in my sight our dependence on fossil fuel is on its way out,the cars will run even longer if run on hydrogen (gas)yes the same motor that is in there now and it will clean up the air as it is running.Sumi:D

We were just discussing this over at the Toyota forum yesterday.

Reality or Scam?

http://water4gas.com/2books.htm

Every review I read that says it's for real I find also advertises it or sells it (the books) or have some association with selling the equipment.

What are your thoughts? I know, here I go hijacking another thread, but hey - It's my thread.:poke:

sumitomo
June 9th, 2008, 11:01 AM
It is reality but those are really small generators for a car(hydrogen generators)it is (I feel) necessary to adjust the cars timing curve in the maps in the computer to really show any real gains,Hydrogen burns 10 times faster than gas so you really need to slow down timing and fuel to the engine.This is not rocket science and has been around for a long time,say since the 60's but its so easy to go down the street and fill up.Oil companies profit about 25 billion a year if hydrogen or other blends happen minus 15 to 20 of that if I was in the oil business I would not want you to know about this.Check out Stan Myers Strum.Sumi:D

Justaguyin_nc
June 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
My last NEW car purchase was in 1995... Toyota Celica.
This car has seen me thru alot of times.. very dependable..
I believe it has 150K on it now..
I just change oil and put in gas and add some tires now and then..
more like then.

Although I have purchased other cars/trucks since.. only buy used now.
this has been the best.
It sits by as the goto when something goes wrong with another..
which means it sits by alot.. But it starts when you goto it..
it gets you there and brings you home. Toyota's are the best bar none.
Although I likes my Chevy Pickup to...

Oh as far as gas sitting for years.. it still works.. Olds Calias
Gurlfriends mom had passed away and we bought the car from the family..
just for her thoughts of mom and fun she used to have with her in it.
The car was sitting at least 4 years.. I charged the battery..
shot starting fluid in her and cranked her up..
then drove her home...
half tank OLD gas had no problems. tis the truth.

just strum
June 9th, 2008, 12:00 PM
The car was sitting at least 4 years.. I charged the battery..
shot starting fluid in her and cranked her up..
then drove her home...
half tank OLD gas had no problems. tis the truth.

Now see, if you would have kept the gas and figured the price per gallon when purchased, you could sell it now and calculate your profit. Damn, you just might be able to retire or buy a big bag of picks and some strings.:D

Justaguyin_nc
June 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Now see, if you would have kept the gas and figured the price per gallon when purchased, you could sell it now and calculate your profit. Damn, you just might be able to retire or buy a big bag of picks and some strings.:D

Im already retired..:)
Strange..I retired when gas was a buck a gallon..
and that aint been to long ago...
use to drive an hour each way to... thank goodness for pensions!

and that;'s why we bought it from the family... we knew gas prices would rise..:)