PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Vypyr coming soon

Robert
June 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
My buddy who runs the local store was showing me the brochures for the new Vypyr amps from Peavey. They are quite inexpensive.

Read more details:
http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/277/20081701.cfm

They are modeling amps, and will compete with Vox, Fender, Roland, Line 6, etc. Since the price is low on these amps, the competition between these brands of modeling amps is going to be more fierce than ever. That is, if these amps sound any good. I don't know yet, but Peavey seems to know how to make good amps.

With double the processing power, models and effects of competitive modeling amplifiers, the VYPYR Series dramatically redefines the power and scope of modern guitar amplification. VYPYR amplifiers are based on powerful 32-bit, floating-point SHARC processors that enable highly detailed, accurate modeling as well as vastly enhanced flexibility and features than ever before available in guitar amplification.

Featuring 24 amp channel models—both the clean and distorted channels of 12 popular amps for the first time anywhere—plus 11 editable preamp “stomp box” effects and 11 editable post-amp “rack” effects with dual-parameter control. Players can use up to five effects simultaneously. When used with the optional Peavey Sanpera™ foot controller, the possibilities further expand from 12 in-amp presets to 400 programmable presets, with an on-board looper and more. The VYPYR also acts as its own computer audio interface, with a built-in studio-quality USB 2.0 output on most models that is recognized by computers as an audio device. The entire six-model VYPYR Series features the e

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Cool! Those will compete with the Vox series when I go to get one for my son to replace his Aria/Fullerton strat pack one.

Katastrophe
June 5th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I'm really interested in trying one of these out! Peavey makes good stuff.:bravo:

Spudman
June 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Wow! Those are way affordable and did you notice....an on board looper.

Robert
June 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, they could be the Line 6 and Vox Valvetronix killer!

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Well, since Derek is fired up to keep playing and will need something better than the little thing included with the Fullerton, I went and looked at these more. The Vypyr 30 looks a good fit, but adding a 6L6 tube in the Vypyr 60 makes it tempting. We will have to see about the street price. It also saves on buying another looper and pedal tuner since those are onboard, plus you figure at least some of the effects will be decent. Oh, oh, son induced GAS. He just really likes the cool logo.

He played through the vox AD that is a 2x12, but complained that it buzzed. Must be a bad unit. Then he told me a Marshall would be ok. LOL!!!

just strum
June 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hmmm,

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Vypyr30/

tot_Ou_tard
June 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hmmm,

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Vypyr30/

An additional $250 for the tube 60.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Vypyr60

I like the idea of a digitally modelled preamp together with a tube power amph.

warren0728
June 29th, 2008, 08:18 PM
those vypers definitely look interesting....like i need another amph....i live in a condo and usually play my rp250 through headphones....but still.... :whatever:

ww

Robert
June 29th, 2008, 08:36 PM
They are dirt cheap - why not get one anyway? It's not about what we need, it's about eating what GAS feeds us! :beer:

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
For a kid amph, I am thinking the 30 beats the Vox AD30VT at that price point. My wife will think that is a lot to spend on an amph for him anyway. Well, we will see.

Ch0jin
June 30th, 2008, 02:42 AM
An additional $250 for the tube 60.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Vypyr60

I like the idea of a digitally modelled preamp together with a tube power amph.

yeah, but only if your going to drive it into power tube distortion, otherwise I'd reverse that and say a warm tube preamp into clean solid state power amp might be a better option. I'm on that bandwagon again after a mate decided that the best "crunch" he could get for recording his new prog metal cd came not from his JCM900 and vintage marshall cab, but from a JMP into the desk...

But aaaaaaaanyway

+1 Peavey. I have the Ultra112 60W tube combo and it's been great! In 10 or more years all it's needed has been a set of Sovtek 6L6's and a fuse.

tot_Ou_tard
June 30th, 2008, 06:33 AM
yeah, but only if your going to drive it into power tube distortion, otherwise I'd reverse that and say a warm tube preamp into clean solid state power amp might be a better option. I'm on that bandwagon again after a mate decided that the best "crunch" he could get for recording his new prog metal cd came not from his JCM900 and vintage marshall cab, but from a JMP into the desk...

Not necessarliy so, I like tube amph cleans.

A well known method is to run pedals into a tube amph set clean.

On the other hand, in the above set-up the pedals are pushing the tube preamph.

Lev
June 30th, 2008, 09:07 AM
demo on youtube

ucSitlFV1MA

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2008, 09:25 AM
:drool: Ok, I'll admit it. I drooled a little. I love how easily and with real knobs you can edit the stompbox parameters. I just have a hard time with led displays and up and down buttons. Knobs are better. Also, there seemed to be a nice variety of sounds. :beavisnbutthead: Cool!

Rocket
June 30th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Many of my mates are on-line for the Tube120 2X12 version of this Vypyr... good news for the retailer that offers best-deal on these.

tot_Ou_tard
June 30th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Very nice cleans & sounds in general.

They need to do another demo without all the noise in the background.

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Here is another vid from gearwire, interview with a sales guy going through features, and a guy playing a bit.

http://www.gearwire.com/peavey-electronics-viper-amps.html

Rocket
June 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Anyone know when these Vypyrs are due to hit the stores?

just strum
June 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM
All I can find is "this summer". I know a lot of the new gear is suppose to hit the market in August, but I would think that all the manufacturers are rushing to get theirs out first. I was going to contact Sweetwater and see when their stock is coming in.

TS808
June 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Anyone know when these Vypyrs are due to hit the stores?
I had called Sweetwater the other day, and they are saying sometime in August. The sales guy I talked to said they haven't had many advanced orders yet, especially for the all analog versions.

just strum
June 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM
The sales guy I talked to said they haven't had many advanced orders yet, especially for the all analog versions.

I think that might begin to change as the word gets out.

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I will be in the Tacoma/Seattle area later in July and will check out GC then. It would be great if they were in the stores then.

Spudman
June 30th, 2008, 05:19 PM
No USB on the 30 and the 15 just for your information.

Ch0jin
June 30th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Wow, looking at that video impressed me!.

The layout of controls and the way you select effects seems really intuitive, and as SVL mentioned, it's got knobs!

just strum
June 30th, 2008, 05:35 PM
...it's got knobs!

A nice set.

warren0728
June 30th, 2008, 05:36 PM
All I can find is "this summer".
well it sure is "this summer" here in florida.....

ww

just strum
June 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM
well it sure is "this summer" here in florida.....

ww

Well, then run to your local store and pick up a bunch of them and send them to us.

warren0728
June 30th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Well, then run to your local store and pick up a bunch of them and send them to us.
i'm on it....sell 'em to you for my cost....plus shipping and handling! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

learned that "handling" part from late night tv and e-bay! :rotflmao: :poke:

ww

TS808
June 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I think that might begin to change as the word gets out.
I think so too.....I'm guessing that with the popularity of the Spider Valve, alot of folks are going to jump all over the tube versions first, especially with the prices Peavey is offering. Looking at the 60-watt Vypyr at $449 compared to the Spider Valve's price which is about $250 more, I think those are going to be flying out the door real fast.

just strum
June 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I think so too.....I'm guessing that with the popularity of the Spider Valve, alot of folks are going to jump all over the tube versions first, especially with the prices Peavey is offering. Looking at the 60-watt Vypyr at $449 compared to the Spider Valve's price which is about $250 more, I think those are going to be flying out the door real fast.

I agree. What we should do is have everyone chip in and buy one for a fretter. Once we get one for the first fretter we will repeat the process until we all have one.

Okay, I'll go first.

TS808
June 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I agree. What we should do is have everyone chip in and buy one for a fretter. Once we get one for the first fretter we will repeat the process until we all have one.

Okay, I'll go first.

You'll chip in first, or you'll be the recipient first?? :D

just strum
June 30th, 2008, 07:31 PM
You'll chip in first, or you'll be the recipient first?? :D

recipient - just another sacrifice on my part.

just strum
July 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
I was looking at the Vypyr 30 and realized it's going to drive down the cost of the used AD30VT market.

Now I am going to have to figure out market value if I sell my Vox.

warren0728
July 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM
I was looking at the Vypyr 30 and realized it's going to drive down the cost of the used AD30VT market.

theres an ad30vt on craig's list here for $100.... :confused:

ww

just strum
July 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM
theres an ad30vt on craig's list here for $100.... :confused:

ww

I think that will be the going price, maybe a little less. On eBay people are trying to get $150, but add in shipping.

I have someone at work interested in my Vox, but I know he wants it cheap. Not sure if it's wise to sell.

warren0728
July 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
I think that will be the going price, maybe a little less. On eBay people are trying to get $150, but add in shipping.

I have someone at work interested in my Vox, but I know he wants it cheap. Not sure if it's wise to sell.
yeah i'm thinking for $100 i might just keep it...if one of the kids decide to start playing they can use it!

ww

just strum
July 1st, 2008, 08:44 PM
yeah i'm thinking for $100 i might just keep it...if one of the kids decide to start playing they can use it!

ww

Before I sell it for $100 I'll insulate it and use it as a beer cooler.

However, I am in the process of making a deal on a guitar, so...

It's Brian's fault.

warren0728
July 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM
Before I sell it for $100 I'll insulate it and use it as a beer cooler.
could be a combo beer cooler and cheese shredder....handy for making nachos to go with the beer! :beer:

ww

TS808
July 2nd, 2008, 11:06 AM

The way I am, I'd hold on to the Vox. I like playing different amps every once in a while.

Get an A/B Box, and set the Vox on a certain model, and the Vypr on a certain model and play two at once....much less expensive than a Line 6 Vetta :D

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Don't know if it's mismarked, but Best Buy has the 75 watt Vypyr for $90 less than everyone else, although no one has any right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8890426&st=peavey&lp=5&type=product&cp=2&id=1215216375933

Rocket
August 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM
It's easy to undercut price when they don't have any.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
It's easy to undercut price when they don't have any.

No one does, but if you are taking orders, then you have to stick to the price.

I'm not sure if it's an error, but can you hold them to it if you order? The other Vypyr are priced the same or closer than other stores. The 100 is the same price as Sweetwater and the 15w is priced at $20 less ($79.99)

I have Best Buy gift cards, but you can't use them online.

Rocket
August 9th, 2008, 01:13 PM
No one does, but if you are taking orders, then you have to stick to the price.

I'm not sure if it's an error, but can you hold them to it if you order? The other Vypyr are priced the same or closer than other stores. The 100 is the same price as Sweetwater and the 15w is priced at $20 less ($79.99)

I have Best Buy gift cards, but you can't use them online.
No, not true... all retailers cover their arse with "typo" & "error clause".

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 01:19 PM
No, not true... all retailers cover their arse with "typo" & "error clause".

Well, they dropped the 15 by $20, so who knows.

Rocket
August 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Update... Just talked to SW rep. They changed listing to read available Fall 2008 now. They have absolutely no idea when Vypyr's will arrive... expect it to read 2009 before they get some.
He hinted that Peavey hasn't even started production on them yet due to some inherent technical probs with this line of amp(h)s.

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Shoot, I was hoping for availability for my son's early autumn birthday. Well, maybe Christmas.

piebaldpython
August 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM
DAMN!!!!! "Production delays" doesn't sound good. I was hoping that this would be a kick-*** amp and not some LEMON. DAMN!!

Duff
August 14th, 2008, 11:24 PM
But don't forget the Fender Super Champ XD, modest but super great amp at 299. It is a killer amp in a small band as well and cuts thru the mix with NO PROBLEM, even with a LOUD drummer.

I also noticed that young guys, 16 to 17 ish, seem to like the Marshall half stacks like the MG100DFX stack type. They also like other half stacks, like B52 and Crate, etc. I think there is something about the half stack that carries mystique and charisma for them; me too. I really like my Blackheart Little Giant thru my Epi 1 by 12 cab or my Epi 4 by 12 Southern Cal cab. I even play my Delta Blues thru the 16 ohm jack on the So. Cal. and it sounds great, producing vast amounts of sound.

Right now I'd like to get one of those blowout V50 crate combos. That has to be a great amp. 199!? Awesome deal. Or the V18 2 by 12 combo for 199. Put a nice multi pedal in front of one of those and you will have a lot of tonal possibilities and a true tube amp pushing a lot of air.

I do agree, however, that the new Peavey's are going to be affordable and awesome. Too bad they are discontinuing, according to a regional Peavey rep I spoke to, the Generation EX line of tele's. I would highly recommend getting one before they are gone. They are selling for as low as 149. The Keith Richards set up one with the bucker in the neck and the tele pup in the bridge is especially nice sounding to me and plays great, like all of the Gen EX line. They will definitely be collectors items when they disappear from the stores. Really good sounding guitars for a very reasonable price.

Vox is introducing a new modelling amp designed from the ground up to address a lot of the problems inherent in the Valvetronics line of "Chromies"; although not a valvetronix but a chromie nonetheless, my Vox DA5 is an awesome little amp. The new Vox is supposed to be awesome but with a big price tag.

Duffy

sunvalleylaw
August 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
So I was down in Twin Falls for a court hearing, and afterwards did some shopping. As I sometimes do, I stopped into the Welch Music store around the corner from Costco to check it out and to see if they were ordering any of these Vypers. They are a Peavey dealer. The guitar guy in the back was talking to someone so I went in the guitar room and looked around. After a minute or two listening to some college kid sounding lovely on an Alvarez acoustic, the guitar salesman asks me if he can answer any questions. He is still involved with this other gentleman but takes time to check on me. I ask him if he is ordering any.

Turns out the guy he is talking to is Mark from Peavey. Not only that, but Mark Peavey, son of the main man! So we talk about the amps and the various models and options, and in fact, the 15s, 30s and 75s are set to be in the store in about two weeks or less. The tube driven 60s are going to be another couple weeks. The guitar salesman is getting one of those. He was extremely excited about these amphs. Mark Peavey was a really nice guy.

We chatted amphs, both Peavey Classics and Vypers, etc. for a while. I also mentioned to him that the Generation EX teles were pretty popular here and that there would be some disappointment if they went away. He said they would likely not be completely discontinued, but dialed back some in production as they had not moved that well for them. The salesman, who is a member here, (Musicman)( EDiT: I guess maybe not.) also was working on a Peavey Accelerator(?) that was like a Predator strat, but with three rail type pups. It was gold with a moto pg and looked pretty cool. Anyway, was a much better stop than I expected when I went in.

Thanks Mark and Musicman!

just strum
August 26th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Did you get a free amp?

sunvalleylaw
August 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Nope, and I just looked, the Welch salesman that indicated he was a member here does not appear on the member roster that I can see. Huh. Well, Mark Peavey wrote us down and may check us out. Maybe the Welch staffer will too. I do plan on going back in a few weeks and checking out those amphs. :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
August 27th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Vox is introducing a new modelling amp designed from the ground up to address a lot of the problems inherent in the Valvetronics line of "Chromies"; although not a valvetronix but a chromie nonetheless, my Vox DA5 is an awesome little amp. The new Vox is supposed to be awesome but with a big price tag.

Duffy
Do you have more info on these Duff?

TS808
August 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Don't know if it's mismarked, but Best Buy has the 75 watt Vypyr for $90 less than everyone else, although no one has any right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8890426&st=peavey&lp=5&type=product&cp=2&id=1215216375933

I was looking at the Best Buy site the other day and noticed that their prices are about $50 less on Fender guitars too. I don't know if they got some kind of special deal from the manufacturers or what, but they are selling at lower prices than GC and MF.

Duff
August 27th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I think that the Vox amp they are coming out with is called a diamond something. Black diamond or something. Can't remember exactly right now. I also read that they were only producing one size, like 120 watts or so. Supposedly this is the long awaited answer to the discontinuance of the AD60 and 120, incorporating many improvements into a ground up designed totally new amp. Also, the company is aparently being quite secretive about the details of the amp, denying other sizes planned, etc., due to the highly competitive competition. And I distinctly remember reading that it was fairly expensive. Apparently it is going to a great amp.

Also I noticed SVL was told by Peavey's son that the Generation line of guitars is not going to be totally discontinued. I hope this is true. They are great guitars.

Duffy

TS808
August 28th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I think that the Vox amp they are coming out with is called a diamond something. Black diamond or something. Can't remember exactly right now. I also read that they were only producing one size, like 120 watts or so. Supposedly this is the long awaited answer to the discontinuance of the AD60 and 120, incorporating many improvements into a ground up designed totally new amp. Also, the company is aparently being quite secretive about the details of the amp, denying other sizes planned, etc., due to the highly competitive competition. And I distinctly remember reading that it was fairly expensive. Apparently it is going to a great amp.

Also I noticed SVL was told by Peavey's son that the Generation line of guitars is not going to be totally discontinued. I hope this is true. They are great guitars.

Duffy
The amp from Vox is called the Black Diamond series, and the "flagship" amp is 200 watts. I think there is a pic on the Vox website. I had been following this a bit on valvetronix.net, and supposedly there are going to be other models with lower wattage.

sunvalleylaw
September 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I have to revive this thread simply to note what a great tool this Vypyr 30 is. I just wanted to strum a few minutes, and my Peavey C-30 was all covered up in its dust cover and the cables are all disconnected. I looked over at my son Derek's amph that he freely lets me play, and the cable is already in it from his use earlier, so I grab my strat, plug it in, used the built in tuner, select the Plexi model that is a favorite of mine, and strum away! It was easier than getting out my acoustic and finding the tuner, and it sounded great! Now that I can play out loud a little bit, instead of through the head phones, I can hear the amph more again. Very responsive, clear, nice tone, and fun and easy. Like I said, nice tool to go.

Robert
September 15th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Well, I must say I am not impressed by these amps. I have tried the low wattage ones several times now, and I can't get any good sounds out of them. Well, the metal tones are kind of cool, but any old school Fenderish or Marshallish tones just aren't to be found, according to my ears. I hear many saying they like them, so I should be fair and go and try again. Maybe I was in a strange mood or something on those occasions when I was "Vypyring" at the music store, cause I could not find good tones at all. But the effects are awesome!

sunvalleylaw
September 15th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Hmm, don't know what to say there, but I like the sounds just fine, after fiddling with the pre-sets. As set up stock, they were way too oversaturated and hot, once the presets were adjusted and saved, the nice cleans and warmth came out. I tend to use the clean channels of the plexi, the twin and the deluxe.

Tig
September 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hmm, don't know what to say there, but I like the sounds just fine, after fiddling with the pre-sets. As set up stock, they were way too oversaturated and hot, once the presets were adjusted and saved, the nice cleans and warmth came out. I tend to use the clean channels of the plexi, the twin and the deluxe.

+1 about the so-so stock settings, as well as the plexi, twin and deluxe being the amp models of choice.
I've re-programed each of the pre-sets and get some good tones. I tend to use the clean channel versions and add gain with the EVJ, which I use as a pre-amp. The effects are great, but the 15 amp is a little too limited without the stomp box choices. I'd rather have the 30 amp model.

sunvalleylaw
September 17th, 2009, 10:28 PM
+1 about the so-so stock settings, as well as the plexi, twin and deluxe being the amp models of choice.
I've re-programed each of the pre-sets and get some good tones. I tend to use the clean channel versions and add gain with the EVJ, which I use as a pre-amp. The effects are great, but the 15 amp is a little too limited without the stomp box choices. I'd rather have the 30 amp model.
Tig, I am curious about two things. One, if you read my post on the previous page and what you think about these amphs as convenient tools. Two, I am interested in your expansion of the shortcomings of the 15. Given the price point and size, I was interested in it as a small, carry along amph. I am also considering the Vox DA5 for the same thing. The DA5 has battery capacity, but I don't think I would use that much. I did not like the Roland Cube as well. So, what do you think of the Vypyr 15 as a small office/carry along unit? I will say that I rarely use the stomp boxes on my son's 30 at this point.

Tig
September 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Tig, I am curious about two things. One, if you read my post on the previous page and what you think about these amphs as convenient tools. Two, I am interested in your expansion of the shortcomings of the 15. Given the price point and size, I was interested in it as a small, carry along amph. I am also considering the Vox DA5 for the same thing. The DA5 has battery capacity, but I don't think I would use that much. I did not like the Roland Cube as well. So, what do you think of the Vypyr 15 as a small office/carry along unit? I will say that I rarely use the stomp boxes on my son's 30 at this point.

I've read pretty much the whole thread. My nits on the 15W are few as it is, but compared to the extra features on the 30W, it loses out in a few areas.
The 8" speaker in the 15 is biggest limitation. I replaced mine with a Jenson MOD8-20 20W for about $24 and that improved the amp's overall sound. Their PR-8 model speaker would have cost almost as much as the whole amp, so that wasn't a smart option. I also added a layer of plywood inside the bottom and sides of the cabinet. However, I now send the amp's speaker output to my EVJ cabinet with its 12" speaker, so I hardly remember what the 8" sounds like anymore.

Since you rarely use the stomp box effects on the 30W, you should do fine with what the 15W offers. What is lacking the most is the inability to use more than one rack effect at a time, but that hasn't been a big problem so far. I usually only use the slap back, rotory, or chorus. The reverb and delay are always available and adjustable, which is what I use the most. I wouldn't mind having the onboard looper that the 30W and above models have.

Of the amp models, I mostly use the twin, plexi, deluxe and classic. I can see eventually selling off the Vypyr 15 after I build a few more BYOC stomp boxes. I'll first need a good tube amp with at least a tank reverb and 2 channels. In my "I won the lottery" world, I'd replace most everything with a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra and a few different 2x12 cabinets to choose from!

Hope this helps.

Mike S.
September 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Uh oh, I need another amp like a hole in the head, but this is just too tempting..............:thwap: