PDA

View Full Version : Wings Win!

marnold
June 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Phew! The Pens gave them all they could handle and the zebras didn't help, but nonetheless the Wing win Lord Stanley's chalice! This one is especially sweet because the salary cap was instituted to keep teams like the Wings from outspending everyone and winning all the time. Congrats to Nick Lidstrom for being the first Euro-born captain to hoist the Cup and toe Henrik Zetterberg for being only the second (after the aforementioned Lidstrom) to win the Conn Smythe as MVP. W00t!

"There'll certainly be some car-door-slamming on the streets of Kensington tonight!"

magoo
June 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM
LOL there is a Newfoundlander On the wings team...the cup is finally coming to NL...LOL the party has started. :beer: this is the first player fr our Provence to ever win a stanley cup.:bravo:

Algonquin
June 5th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Congrats Guys... I really thought the Pens were going to tie it in the dying seconds.

Two great teams! :AOK:

Robert
June 5th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Lidstrom and Zetterberg are of course Swedish... SUPERSWEDES! :AOK:

Tim
June 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
CONGRADULATONS Detroit Redwings for a well played Stanley Cup victory. All six games were well played by both teams. The penguins won in Detroit and the Redwings won in Pittsburgh. I think a lot of Penguins fans were trying to blow the last puck of the game over the line to make the score tied at 3-3.

I am very proud of my hometown fans for staying after the game and, applauding and cheering as the Redwings took turns holding the trophy. I don't think other cities would have done the same. Pittsburgh got on the map big time because of the fans sharing in the win for Detroit.

Good luck to all NHL teams next year, when we ride the wave once more.

We actually received an email from a Detroit Redwing fan. I could not agree more with his statement.

Dear Pittsburgh WPXI NBC 11,
My name is Tony. I am a resident of Detroit and am a Red Wings fan. I would like Station 11 to pass along a message to all the Pittsburgh Penguin fans in the stadium on Wednesday night. Congratulations on a well played hockey season. Thank-You for the respect you showed our Red Wings, applauding, standing, cheering and sticking around for the trophy ceremony. All of you have a lot of class. I don't know which moved me more, winning the cup or watching all of you in the background on T.V. I'm leaning towards "all of you in the background". It's times like this that makes me proud to be an American. We can belong to different States, different cities, root for different teams but still at the end, come together as Americans, hockey fans, good sportsmen and sportswomen. I for one hope that one day I (and hopefully all of Detroit) can return the respect to Pittsburgh that Pittsburgh has shown Detroit. See you next season, Good Luck and again, Thank-You!
Sincerely,
Tony

If only all nations could have such an attitude. It a shame they only come together for the Olympics every four years. This years summer Olympics should be interesting to watch. I hope all athletes arrive back home safely. This will be a very political event.

marnold
June 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
LOL there is a Newfoundlander On the wings team...the cup is finally coming to NL...LOL the party has started. :beer: this is the first player fr our Provence to ever win a stanley cup.:bravo:
Yep, Dan Cleary. There was an article in the Detroit Free Press this morning where someone quipped that Cleary will never have to buy another drink for the rest of his life.

I'm such a sap. I felt myself getting teary reading some of the articles this morning.

During Detroit's time out towards the end of the game my heart rate was so high that I was trembling and feeling very ill. I had an Elders meeting last night so I missed almost exactly half of the game. One of my Elders is a big Wings fan so he came over afterwards. My two oldest boys stayed up too. They weren't as excited as I was but it was still cool to share it with them. I immediately called my Dad back in Michigan to share my excitement.

We're going to my folks' place at the end of the month for vacation. I've a feeling I'll be loading up on Stanley Cup champion swag.

ZMAN
June 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I am a huge Red wings fan and I agree, that I was very surprised by the fans at the Igloo. True hockey fans! Being Canadian and watching a bunch of Swedes and Russians and a few Canadians winning the cup and a really savvy bunch of US fans showing respect and cheering a team even if it was not their own, for a job well done, was truley amazing.
A great series right down to the wire and that is what hockey is all about.
I am sure the Penguins will be right there againg next year and for many years to come.
But as usual June the 4th. Come on NHL I finished playing hockey in April, and we played since Sept. 14th. They have to do something to get it over sooner.

marnold
June 5th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Zman, don't forget that the Wings had (at least) three Americans too: Chelios, Lebda, and Rafalski! Rafalski's even a Michigander!