PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Monitors

Kazz
June 5th, 2008, 05:01 AM
All the shows we go to or have been too....each member of the band has a pretty big monitor sitting on the floor in front of him....

What is coming out of these monitors...is it the mix...or is it just that person's sound?

What benefit does it provide....and would I (The home enthusiast) ever have a need for one?

Katastrophe
June 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM
What benefit does it provide....and would I (The home enthusiast) ever have a need for one?

Monitors reflect the band's sound back so the performers can hear what's being played. If the soundguy is sober and cooperative he can usually send the full mix to the monitors, or a partial mix, like drums and bass, if the drums are mic'ed.

You probably wouldn't need a monitor setup at home, unless you're playing a block party, or a gig in your back yard.:AOK:

Nowadays they have these really cool in ear monitors that send the mix straight to each performer. I'd love to try one of those setups out once.

thearabianmage
June 5th, 2008, 08:06 AM
That's pretty much it, but they also give you something to to stand on with one leg and look cool when you're playing! Like Cliff Burton did.

Spudman
June 5th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Usually it is just whatever that person wants or needs to hear in order to make good music. Some folks only want vocals in theirs or kick drum or piano and vocals etc. It really depends on what the performer needs or wants to hear in that situation.

t_ross33
June 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Usually it is just whatever that person wants or needs to hear in order to make good music. Some folks only want vocals in theirs or kick drum or piano and vocals etc. It really depends on what the performer needs or wants to hear in that situation.

Also depends on how the monitor send is able to be directed. Big pro PA systems will have the capability to divert a full mix to the front of house while a seperate monitor mixing board is used to send signal to the performers on stage. They would have multiple monitor sends, so the mix can be tailored as required.

Our little mixing board only has one monitor send, so we are stuck with having pretty much a full mix in our monitors. Personally, I like to hear vocals and a little bit of guitar (my amp does most of the legwork), but we get some kick, snare and bass in there as well. Looking to upgrade that in the near future so we can each tweak what we want to hear in our individual mix.

For the most part, I need monitors to hear vocals so I know if I'm singing on key, loud enough (or too loud :thwap:), finding my place for harmonies etc.

just strum
June 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Nowadays they have these really cool in ear monitors that send the mix straight to each performer. I'd love to try one of those setups out once.

I thought those were ear protection:thwap:

Well, except Townsend, figured his were hearing aids.