PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else a fan of Gordon Ramsey?

Robert
June 5th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I just love this guy. He is a star chef and TV star, but he is also a guy who knows how to run a business. His TV-shows are often about that part, maybe more than cooking. He swears a lot, so some may find him a bit much. I like his aggressiveness and attitude.

I like "Kitchen Nightmares" the best, where he usually tries to save a small restaurant from going bankrupt. He tells them, very frankly, what they need to do in order to turn things around.

GWgZBxLZD10

From Wikipedia:

Gordon James Ramsay, OBE (born November 8, 1966 in Johnstone, Scotland) is a Scottish chef, television personality and entrepreneur. He has been awarded a total of 12 Michelin stars,[1] and as of April 2008 is one of only three chefs in the UK whose restaurant is rated at three Michelin stars. He is famous in the UK for presenting TV programmes about competitive cookery and food such as Hell's Kitchen and The F-Word. He is best known in the United States as the host of FOX's Hell's Kitchen, which premiered in May 2005, and of Kitchen Nightmares, which premiered in September 2007, based on his successful British show Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

hubberjub
June 5th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I loved when he interviewed James May and Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear. The F Word is a great show.

SuperSwede
June 6th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I love Gordon and his tv shows, especially Hells Kitchen.

Another excellent cook on TV is Jamie Oliver (the naked chef).

Tone E
June 6th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Seems like a wanker to me but its hard to say how much he is putting on and how much is really him. I dont generally like grownups who have tanrums like small spoiled children.

I agree that Jamie Oliver is the guy to watch whether you enjoy cooking or not. I love Jamie and collect his books and DVDs. Great cook, great personality and a great guy.

warren0728
June 6th, 2008, 04:49 AM
i like all of gordon's show's....he is a little over the top but he does know the restaurant biz for sure!

my favorite cooking show though is top chef on the bravo channel! :pancake:

ww

thearabianmage
June 6th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Dude, Ramsey is a legend! I didn't know he was popular in America. . .

thearabianmage
June 6th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I agree that Jamie Oliver is the guy to watch....
Now. . . Jamie Oliver is the wanker with his fake London accent, and the lisp to add to its effectiveness. 'Alright, geetha?' :poke:

Gordon could kick Jamie's butt anytime! Blatantly!

luvmyshiner
June 6th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I started watching Hell's Kitchen this season and now I'm hooked. It's kinda like a bad car wreck, you don't want to look but you just can't seem to help yourself.

thearabianmage
June 6th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Mate, Ramsey's the man. Hell's Kitchen, the F Word - he's got it sussed. As was mentioned before, he's a proper decent business man, who knows how to run a restaurant. And he tells it straight. I like his absolutely fair attitude. If you done good, he tells you that you've done good. If you've done bad, he will tell you!

In any case, I would rather watch Jamie Oliver and Gordan Ramsey than the bloody Big Brother which just started last night. Bloody hell! Talk about morons! Argh! Is there Big Brother in America? I can't imagine it catching on that well in a country so big.

Tone E
June 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM

I see, so we are to determine who the better person is based upon who can beat the other in a fight?

Also, I am not convinced that a grown up who acts like a child could kick anybodys *** regardless of how much they spit their dummy.

SuperSwede
June 7th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Luckily we all live in democratic countries with freedom of speech.

However, I would not recommend you to make those kind of comments in the future.

Thefret.net is a friendly open-minded community where we can talk about various topics, sometimes we dont agree with another members point of view but that is not an excuse to pick on your fellow members posts.

Feel free to express your views and opinions in a friendly way and you will be treated the same way. :poke:

Lev
June 7th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I'm a fan but I've watched both his UK and US shows and he is very OTT on his US shows. I think the US producers want as much drama and confrontation as possible. I think what you see on the US version of Hells Kitchen is more of an act, from what I've seen of him on his UK shows he's actually a pretty nice guy (who's not affraid to express his opinion).

ZMAN
June 7th, 2008, 07:21 AM
My wife and I are Food TV addicts, and we dislike Gordon Ramsey's show immensely. We understand of course that these shows are scripted and edited to give you a "reality" TV approarch to cooking. I am not saying we don't like him. I have seen several interviews with him and he is quite a knowledgeble guy and a good chef. After all food should look good and taste good as well.
There are a lot of great Chefs on both the Food Networks that we watch. The US and Canadian vesions. I am not of the opinion that you have to have a British or French accent to be a good chef, or that you need to be an arrogant bullying idtiot to get people to achieve great results.
Creating a gourmet meal does not equate to expensive. It is all in the ingredients, and the preparation. Since I retired we buy fresh every day and cook a new and different gourmet meal two or three times a week. We use Tyler Flroence, Bobby Flay, Emeril Lagace, Mario Battali, Cat Cora, Laura Calder, Ina Garten, Jamie Oliver or Michael Smith's receipes.
So I would say not to put too much stock in what you see on Hell's Kitchen, it is a complete fabrication, and if you believe it you are being "taken".

thearabianmage
June 7th, 2008, 07:24 AM
However, I would not recommend you to make those kind of comments in the future.
What!?
Let me rephrase this:

Between the culinary skills of Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver, Gordon is by far superior.

Is that better?

thearabianmage
June 7th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Also, I am not convinced that a grown up who acts like a child could kick anybodys *** regardless of how much they spit their dummy.

???

Bloozcat
June 7th, 2008, 07:56 AM
What!?
Let me rephrase this:

Between the culinary skills of Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver, Gordon is by far superior.

Is that better?

Well, it's simply easier to preface one's remarks with an IMHO...

We all have our opinions on things, but rarely are any of them quantifiable in an absolute sense. We like what we like, but at the same time being open to the opinions of others is how we learn and broaden our base of knowledge.

I love a lively debate, and I'll defend my positions adamantely. But at the same time, I'm always cognizant of the fact that although I might disagree with that other person, they're not my enemy...nor do I wish to make them one. If either party in a debate feels that he wouldn't want to have a beer with that other person after the debate is over, then perhaps the debate was not as friendly and respectful as we may have thought.

Enough said....

warren0728
June 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM
My wife and I are Food TV addicts, and we dislike Gordon Ramsey's show immensely. We understand of course that these shows are scripted and edited to give you a "reality" TV approarch to cooking. I am not saying we don't like him. I have seen several interviews with him and he is quite a knowledgeble guy and a good chef. After all food should look good and taste good as well.
There are a lot of great Chefs on both the Food Networks that we watch. The US and Canadian vesions. I am not of the opinion that you have to have a British or French accent to be a good chef, or that you need to be an arrogant bullying idtiot to get people to achieve great results.
Creating a gourmet meal does not equate to expensive. It is all in the ingredients, and the preparation. Since I retired we buy fresh every day and cook a new and different gourmet meal two or three times a week. We use Tyler Flroence, Bobby Flay, Emeril Lagace, Mario Battali, Cat Cora, Laura Calder, Ina Garten, Jamie Oliver or Michael Smith's receipes.
So I would say not to put too much stock in what you see on Hell's Kitchen, it is a complete fabrication, and if you believe it you are being "taken".
i agree "hell's kitchen" is over the top and gordon can control the outcome because he is the sole decision maker on the show (but taken with a grain of salt it can be entertaining). I like his show "kitchen nightmares" the best....sometimes he saves the restaurant and sometimes he doesn't.

i like most of the food network stars....although my favorite chef is anthony bourdain who wrote "kitchen confidential" and has a show now called "no reservations" (on bravo i think)...good stuff! :pancake:

ww

ZMAN
June 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM
We have seen some of Bourdains shows but they were mainly the ones where he travels around the world and eats in local restaurants. Some of the things he ate are pretty off the wall in the US and Canada and I really have never seen him prepare a dish. Most of the ones we whatch are things that can be made from local ingredients, and we also dabble in Asian, and East indian dishes (love the spices). Once you stock up on all the exotic spices and sauces it is quite easy to make genuine Chinese, Asian, Mid eastern and East Indian dishes. Also it is nice to have a different take on Steak or chicken.
As far as resurecting a bad restaurant. There is a reason they fail. Good restaurants can go on for years. Because they follow the goldens rules. Good service, Fresh Ingredients, and good presentation. Decent prices don't hurt.

warren0728
June 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM
We have seen some of Bourdains shows but they were mainly the ones where he travels around the world and eats in local restaurants. Some of the things he ate are pretty off the wall in the US and Canada and I really have never seen him prepare a dish. Most of the ones we whatch are things that can be made from local ingredients, and we also dabble in Asian, and East indian dishes (love the spices). Once you stock up on all the exotic spices and sauces it is quite easy to make genuine Chinese, Asian, Mid eastern and East Indian dishes. Also it is nice to have a different take on Steak or chicken.
As far as resurecting a bad restaurant. There is a reason they fail. Good restaurants can go on for years. Because they follow the goldens rules. Good service, Fresh Ingredients, and good presentation. Decent prices don't hurt.
bourdain was the head chef at Les Halles in NYC for many many years and is still affiliated with the restaurant....i like his shows because you get a brief history of the area he is visiting and he emphasizes the local cuisine of that region....and i like his humor too!

He is a great chef but his shows are not about him but about the regions he is visiting....nice gig if you can get it! :AOK: :pancake:

i was in the restaurant biz for many years eventually becoming a working partner in one....your golden rules are part of the equation but dependable (and honest) staff, close watch on food costs and consistent quality of food have to be factored in too!

ww

Jimi75
June 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I love this guys show. He's so direct into the face! MAn, I once saw how he "renewed" an old fashioned Italian restaurant...after the show the chef left the restaurant forever, but Gordon was successful and brought the clientel back.

Another guy's show you already mentioned which I admire is Anthony Bourdain.

SuperSwede
June 8th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Well, it's simply easier to preface one's remarks with an IMHO...

We all have our opinions on things, but rarely are any of them quantifiable in an absolute sense. We like what we like, but at the same time being open to the opinions of others is how we learn and broaden our base of knowledge.

+1