PDA

View Full Version : Any Muddy Waters Tele owners out there?

tremoloman
May 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Do any of you own a Muddy Waters Tele? I've been searching for a LONG time to find one locally and have been unable to do so for more than a year!

I'm curious how it feels compares to an American Telecaster (which I used to own). I love Muddy's tone, but I'm afraid of purchasing a guitar I've never played unseen.

I just gotta have that ashtray bridge and brass saddles!

warren0728
May 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
i haven't seen one locally either and i agree about not wanting to buy a guitar i haven't played. I have thought about putting an ashtray bridge on my tele (they aren't that expensive) but i'm not sure because i am happy with the tone right now.

ww

Iago
May 3rd, 2006, 07:31 PM
Me here is the same Trem and Warren...

Actually, when I went with Warren to our guitar tour that day, what I really had in mind was the Muddy Waters Tele...or a 60`s classic Tele. As you may know, I gladdly left the place with a Mustang.

About 2 months ago I found an used Jimmie Vaughan strat in a store for 450$ (another guitar I was searching), because i used to read so many good things about it, but i hated the neck (even after reading so many people saying it was the best neck ever ehehehe)...the body was also very "square"... the contours aint that well done, and the pickups... maybe a bit too hot for my taste...though it`s still great for 450$. I think even if you`re paying for a new one it may be still a great deal, if the sound and neck suits you. I`m just keepping in mind the motto "play with your eyes closed" you know? ;)

tremoloman
May 5th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I bought my '66 CIJ Jazzmaster unseen and loved it. I later sold the CIJ to get a barely used '62 AVRI Jazzmaster on eBay. Again, I lucked out. Brand new condition, plays like a dream. Same goes for a few budged guitars such as my SX and 6-string Ovation.

Recently, I got burned on eBay twice in a row. I bought from sellers that tried the old 'bait & switch' by posting a pic of the guitar and then shipping one which was different than the picture shown. I won a Fender Strat and was shipped a Squier. What a headache! $260 for a used and beat up Affinity? PLEASE!

Iago
May 5th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Trem that sucks man! What happened after that? you sent it back and got your money or something???

Ah, lucky man for the guitars... actually Im interested in that SG Jr they have in the Musicians Friend for 599...(I still want a Tele though :) ) I wouldnt mind paying that unseen for a Gibson.. I guess that some deals just can`t be wrong.. like the Valve jr for 140 bucks, which Im really enjoying it... too bad I dont have much time to play now and Im afraid of the neighbours calling the cops too if I start playing late night ehehhehe...

tremoloman
May 16th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Ok, here's what happened:

Auction #1: "Mint condition 1994 MIM Strat"
I shipped the guitar back and luckily I was refunded my money in its entirety.

Auction #2: "1994 MIM Strat - Excellent Condition"
I worked out a deal with the seller to refund half of the cost of the guitar. It needs a lot of work, but I'm almost done putting her back together. I still need to refinish the backside of the neck where there is a 1" chunk of bare wood showing around the 1st-2nd fret that came off when I pulled the box tape off of the neck. It really hinders playability so it has to be corrected.

From now on, unless an ad shows lots of high quality close-up shots of an item, I'm steering clear.

Riley
July 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I have a MIM Muddy Tele. Out of all the Tele's I've owned, MIM and MIA, this is my favorite. But it suits me and what I play(blues and classic rock). The body is solid ash, and comes with USA electronics, hardware and pickups. The bridge pup is to die for, it sounds sweet! The neck is very chunky and has a rosewood board. The frets are nice and beefy too which makes it play like butter. I had to fix a bridge pickup ground issue, but that was no biggie and I might change the pickguard and knobs at some point, but otherwise she remains stock! Here's a pic.

http://riley-music.com/Pics/GuitarGear/GuitarsOutdoors6-06/MWTeleOutside5.JPG

-Peace
-Nate

Tone2TheBone
July 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
The Muddy Waters Tele appreciation thread!

I absolutely love my MW guitar. I can't say enough about it. I told Trem the other day that it's like having a Les Paul with single coils (well Tele coils anyway) as far as sound and solid tone. I like the Jeff Beck quote Riley...it's true. Acoustic guitars are similar in that respect too.

SuperSwede
July 12th, 2006, 02:55 PM
imho a tele is a very "honest" instrument. If you play crappy the tele will let you know.. Much like a good marshall amp. True for both are that they will reward you with a amazing sound if you know how to handle them.

tremoloman
July 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Riley you are evil! That Muddy is freakin' beautiful! OMG... how can I justify getting one? Hmmm... I've got to start thinking of a rational reason...

Anyone looking for a B&C Squier? :P

Seriously, if someone could provide a sound clip played clean in each pickup position I'd be pumped!

Riley
July 13th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Riley you are evil! That Muddy is freakin' beautiful! OMG... how can I justify getting one? Hmmm... I've got to start thinking of a rational reason...

Anyone looking for a B&C Squier? :P

Seriously, if someone could provide a sound clip played clean in each pickup position I'd be pumped!

Rational?.....since when have guitarists used rational in order to buy a great guitar! ;) No really you'd be happy with one. I actually picked mine up on musicianfriend....which can be a gamble, but other than the ground issue it was a beauty! I'll see if I can whip up a sound clip for you in true Fender 'clean' fashion and post it in here. Maybe later today when my wife steps out for a bit. :D

-Peace
-Nate

Iago
July 13th, 2006, 09:28 AM
funny... Nate your from TDPRI too right? I remember seeing this same pic in a thread there... I even saved the pic to my computer! :D

Tim
July 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Isn't this something. We remember people from their avatars! Even the internet is getting small. Sharp eye there Iago. I visit TDPRI from time to time and don't remember the picture.

Tone2TheBone
July 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM
In a similar fashion I remember monikers and have run into people from other boards throughout different discussion forums on the net. I sometimes email them and ask if they are "so and so from such and such board" and the answer is almost always yes.

Riley
July 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Yup guys I belong to a number of forums, TDPRI, and TGP among others! LOL! Anyways, here's a quick and dirty clip of the stock MIM Muddy Waters. I used my AmpTramp BF/Plexi, 10 watt, EL34 driven amp, on the 'blackfaced' channel. I like a tad of 'verb so a Holy Grail is on at all times. I start on the bridge pup and work my way to the neck pup. Then I switch on a little chorus(Boss CE5) for a bit, and then turn that off and step on my ZenDrive. I didn't use my Plexi channel on the amp, maybe next time! LOL! Also excuse my sloppy playing! :P Hope it gives you an idea of the guitars tone. Oh it's about a 4 minute(4MB) clip.

http://riley-music.com/Music/Guitar%20Stuff/MWTeleAT-BF-ZenDrive.mp3

-Peace
-Nate

tremoloman
July 13th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Riley,

Thank you so much for recording that demonstration for us! Absolutely put me in a trance... I'm in LOVE!

Now I'm in deep doo doo...
uh oh... GAS.... errrr.... kicking... in.....!!! *insert The Incredible Hulk transformation sound*

"Dum DUM DEEEEE DAAAAHHHHH" "GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!"

Tone2TheBone
July 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM
All the positions on the Muddy rock. And God loves a humble Alnico V pickup.....

Katastrophe
July 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Riley, that Tele/amp combo is hard to beat. Very nice! I like the tone you get with the Zendrive at the end...

And if your playing is sloppy, then I'm in trouble! Good demo.:R :DR

tremoloman
July 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm not kidding... My B&C is going up on eBay this week. I'm obsessed with this guitar now. :P