PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify the year of this neck?

LouCaster
June 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I recently purchased a used strat neck that had a very nice finish applied and having never owned a strat, didn't really know much about the different decals associated with the year it was manufactured. The guy I bought it from didn't know when it was manufactured and it was the left over of a neck replacement from one of his customers. It sort of resembles earlier strats but the word "STRATOCASTER" is extremely bold and didn't see any quite like that. Does anybody here know?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/leh1966/headstockimage.jpg

EDIT NOTE:
Some other details are there is no skunk stripe and the truss rod adjustment nut is located at the butt end of the neck instead of at the headstock. It also contains 22 frets. Sorry I don't have a photo of the whole neck as they turned out too blurry. Hope this helps

WackyT
June 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM
That's the '61 - '62 logo.

http://www.guitarnucleus.com/images/stratlogos.jpg

http://www.guitarnucleus.com/fenderserial.html

just strum
June 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Nice detective work WT.

mrmudcat
June 6th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Something about the decal doesent look right, the decal should have a visible outline around it as they were on top of the finish not under at that time I believe.

If it is that old you must of paid alot, Date stamp should be on butt end also I need a shot of the heel.

just strum
June 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Looking at it the one thing in the lettering that is different - I you look at the "F" the crossover that ends above the "e" looks to curl up at the end and come to a point.

Might need to search for another year.

LouCaster
June 6th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the image of the decals. I agree, the "F" looks a little different but none of those use a bold font for the "STRATOCASTER" portion of the decal. Also, the finish that was applied was supposedly some sort of experimental type of thing and was applied over the decal. As for the butt end, there is nothing written at all. NO stamp or lettering, nada. I only paid $50 bucks for it from some local luthier. It looks so good on my little custom jobber. I will snap a pic of it here shortly. Basically, my brother bought me a guitar online a couple of Christmases ago not knowing what he'd bought. It was a Fender licensed Starcaster (Chinese strat) with an oddball pointed headstock and not very good frets. White pick guard, white singles and not much else. I have added some new things like a 500k pot, pearly pickguard and cream colored v and t knobs. I also bought an early 70's DP100 super distortion p/u for a HSS config and the neck rounds out my own custom strat. Some work on the frets of the neck in question, a nut, and some new Grover midsize Rotomatics and it will be good to go. Oh, also have to have the original holes in the neck filled and redrilled of course since the Chinese sort of slopped it up some. I've never done this to a guitar before and it's a lot of fun, albeit kind of expensive.

wingsdad
June 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
There were various bold, condensed lettering versions of 'STRATOCASTER' in the logo in the late 70's-80's. But this one looks a bit suspcious. Since most of those 'curled' into the 'tip' of the head, and weren't on a level line.

just strum
June 6th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I think the "ender" portion of Fender is a good match to WT's first three examples are damn close, if not right on.

I would send the photo to Fender and see what they might be able to tell you.

LouCaster
June 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Here are some pics that I'd said I'd put up. The first one here is with the humbucker and pickguard on and strung up. Notice the headstock. Now you can see why I wanted to ditch it besides the nasty fret work?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/leh1966/MyStarcaster.jpg

Here's what it is transforming into. Looking a little better.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/leh1966/mystratfullonshot.jpg

A closer shot of the body. A gluing clamp with plastic tips holds the neck on but won't hurt the frets. Oops forgot the matching selector tip from my stew mcdonald order. Just gonna have to buy some more stuff to make it worth getting, heh, heh.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/leh1966/mystratbodyshot.jpg

As an aside, I attended Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp last year and took this guitar to it in place of my Charvel or my Ibanez simply because I told my brother I'd take it there. Everybody who brought their own instruments brought great stuff. Fender's, Gibson's, Rickenbacker's, you name it. Everybody also had a great laugh at my expense. Here was a $10k trip of a lifetime and I was bringing this Chinese thing to play with. Go figure.

mrmudcat
June 7th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Well it is what it is. Personally I dont think it is genuine.It has been stained and finished on top.The pat app. decal is not period correct for that neck if the neck is indeed fender.Lack of the truss rod skunk stripe also is key for not being period correct.It should have various markings on the heel as well as an ink stamp date.(most times) There are of course exceptions. Enjoy it play it .A name is just that,but at $50 you didnt accidentally,or happen to luck on a 60 ish neck.;)

At $50 it is safe to say the luthier or person most likely knew the value and or if it was the real deal.

What is the measurement at the nut (width fretboard?)

The part about expiermental finish .blah blah ......sounds kinda contrived...peace brother !! If it plays nice thats all ya need!:D

hubberjub
June 7th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Strats didn't have 22 frets until the 80's.

wingsdad
June 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Well it is what it is. Personally I dont think it is genuine. The part about expiermental finish .blah blah ......sounds kinda contrived...
+1, 'cat. I was being 'diplomatic' when I said it "looked a bit suspicious". I had originally typed "It's clearly a counterfeit." But I softened up and rephrased.

peace brother !! If it plays nice thats all ya need!:D
+1, again. That's really all that matters, Lou. You're rebuilding a knock-off Strat, and in the end, you'll probably have yourself a pretty decent 'FrankenCaster'.

You could leave the bogus Fender stuff on the headstock if it feels cooler. But why not make it your own genuine article? Look for a thread here by Dreadman, one of our 'infrequent flyer members', who built himself a killer 'Strat' and fashioned his own 'brand name' headstock decal.

Bloozcat
June 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Yep, there's several things wrong. The "Fender" portion with the two patent numbers listed below is a 61-62 neck (or an early sixties at least). The word "Stratocaster" is wrong, too dark/bold. Fender only made 21 fret necks back then. And finally, if it was an early sixties Strat neck, the date would be stamped at the heal of the neck like, JAN 21 61.

Ok, so it's not authentic. Is it straight (not warped)? Good nut? How are the frets, and how does it play? That's all that's important now.

Edit to change: Oops...