PDA

View Full Version : What major groups do we have on TheFret?

Robert
June 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I'm curious to hear what you guys think about the type of members we have here. Hmm, let's see. How about something like,

Jazz lovers
Blues lovers
Acoustic players
80's rock types
Metal Maniacs?
Hendrix fans
Country twangers

What else?

Which is the largest group? I will guess blues guys/gals. Seems most guitar players love the blues, but there are of course exceptions. For example, I have noticed that a lot of metal players do NOT like blues. Not sure why? As a comparison - many jazz players like blues, and vice versa.

Not sure if this whole classifying idea will hold up. Tell me your thoughts on this. I just thought it might be fun, regardless of how accurate this grouping is.

Rabies
June 6th, 2008, 08:16 PM
From all the choices you gave there, I would have to say I'm Hendrix Fan. :AOK:

I dig some of the other stuff there, too. But if given only ONE choice from what you gave, it's Hendrix for me.

Side note: Here lately I've tuned my '51 down a half step and have been learning some more Jimi...so much fun!

just strum
June 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Here are my preferences

* Blues lover: My love for the blues grew immensly after joining this forum
* Acoustic player: I guess this is a "was" but I love the sound of a good acoustic guitar.
* 60's and 70's rock: This is the music I grew up on and a lot of it has a blues influence I just never understood it or realized it to the degree I do now.
* Hendrix fan: I'll never forget the first time I heard Hendrix, where I was at, who turned me on, and the album.
* Alternative: I don't like everything, but I like it when a group hits on a sound that is different and not mainstream.

Childbride
June 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM
i actually like everything, and am open to everything. i love music, period.

i went through several changes in my musical interests in my life.

listened in the car to the carpenters, bread, bee gee's, michael mcmurphy, rod stewart, and john denver et al as a child,

got the 80's hair band metal thing in hs

went to first half of undergrad and liked everything alternative

went to austin and got the srv/thunderbirds/stray cats rockabilly thing in the late 80's early 90's

went back hardcore in the mid to late 90s at ozzfest; actually was front row at ozzfest 99 where i was nose to toe with tony iommi and ozzy threw water on me b/c it was texas and so darned hot i was about to pass out

now i just listen to everything and decide if i like it or not.

i think that music is one of the truest expressions of us as humanity, and that everyone has something to say, in their manor of expressing themselves. that each of us has an opinion, a voice, and that when we share our humanity, it contributes to society as a whole. we talk from our perspective, just as we write. we are individuals, and every color in that crayola crayon box is important, significant, and unique.

player
June 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM
started listening to Rock n Roll when it came out.have not looked back since however I have broadened my horizons a lot.i.e. Jazz,Blues,old Rock,some bluegrass and even a tad of country but am still Rock n Roll oriented.
always looking for new things that are of interest too as in any music.
dit dit dats all folks:dude:

Tone E
June 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Mostly rock n roll for me but i do like some bits and pieces from other genres.

Spudman
June 6th, 2008, 11:27 PM
What? No Prog? :confused:

Progressive and Blues-ish for me from the Brits mostly. Especially from the early 70's on.

I'm guessing most members are blues appreciators. It's so fundamental and it connects to so many people.

Tone2TheBone
June 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Like Mr. tOt I am eclectic in my enjoyment of many things so I dig a variety of various compilations of this and that and so on and so forth. Electric Lady Land and Acoustic Lady Land...and all points in between. :) Plus Baroque Classics, Gypsy Jazz and da blues. Even many (old school ahem) artists that twang a Tele guit in their hands or a saucy twang in their vocals.

SuperSwede
June 7th, 2008, 02:55 AM
All of the above.

I eat and digest all kinds of music.

Jimi75
June 7th, 2008, 06:26 AM
1. Hendrix
2. Hendrix
3. Hendrix
4. Blues
5. Metal

That would be my list after setting priorities.

thearabianmage
June 7th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Ethiopian folk music is my big thing.

TS808
June 7th, 2008, 08:12 AM
For me, it's blues and classic rock. Right now, I've been listening to alot of the "newer" blues like Joe Bonamassa, Chris Duarte, Tommy Castro, etc. Lately, I've been listening to alot of Allman Brothers for some reason.

I've gone through phases of listening to just about everything, from classic rock, to punk, new wave, metal, southern rock, you name it...anything but hip hop/rap.

Growing up in Pittsburgh the radio stations were really strange (it's even worse now)...you had your classic rock stations, top 40, soul, and jazz. You rarely, if ever, heard blues when I was younger. When MTV peaked and actually played music, it turned me on to some different styles, and that's when I started seeing SRV, Robert Cray, etc.

I really got stuck on blues after seeing SRV in 1987 and my liking for blues really peaked after seeing Buddy Guy in 1995. I've seen other guitar greats like Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani, but still, something about the blues I really like.

Spudman
June 7th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Does anyone read the oiginal post? What group do you belong to mostly?

I'm curious to hear what you guys think about the type of members we have here. Hmm, let's see. How about something like,

Jazz lovers
Blues lovers
Acoustic players
80's rock types
Metal Maniacs?
Hendrix fans
Country twangersWhat else?

Which is the largest group?

Rabies
June 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Does anyone read the oiginal post? What group do you beong to mostly?

From all the choices you gave there, I would have to say I'm Hendrix Fan. :AOK:

I dig some of the other stuff there, too. But if given only ONE choice from what you gave, it's Hendrix for me.

:AOK:

TS808
June 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM

Blues. Sorry got carried away :D

just strum
June 7th, 2008, 08:45 AM

I read, and reread it and the part that says "Hmm, let's see. How about something like," meaning it's a starting point and not limited to just that list.

I also did not find the word "mostly" in the original post. So I took it as a - What sort of music do you listen to and/or play.

Maybe still, I could be reading it wrong. Perhaps the original author will better define what he is looking for.

I just was out cutting grass in the heat and humidity, so if I got sweat on this thread, my apologies.

Rabies
June 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I just was out cutting grass in the heat and humidity, so if I got sweat on this thread, my apologies.

Getting ready to do that myself...:flamemad:

Ro3b
June 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm in the "aging punk rocker with classical training who plays a lot of acoustic and electronic music and who listens to just about anything" group.

just strum
June 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I'm in the "aging punk rocker with classical training who plays a lot of acoustic and electronic music and who listens to just about anything" group.
;)

Robert
June 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Well, I was intending this to be a discussion of the kinds of groups our members tend to fall into. I am myself in the groups Hendrix fan, blues lover and jazz lover, although I pop into other groups now and then too.

I see we have a fairly large acoustic player group, and we have a group of blues lovers. That's what made me start this whole thing.

There are other groups too, at least I thought so, hence the other groups I mentioned. However, this is totally subjective, so you might think differently. You might also see different groups on the Fret than I do. Do you? Let's talk about this. :)

wingsdad
June 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Good topic for an open discussion of player preferences, Robert. Naturally, your list is just a starting point.

I mean...we probably all know and acknowledge Hendrix as seminal. I s'pose if only one 'name' would be on the starter list, his is it. Personally, he was/is not among any of my influences as a player, probably because I was already playing 6 or 7 years before his SuperNova burst upon us, but more so because I've always been more of rhythmic 'in the pocket' player, and not a pyrotechnician.

To hang a label or group class on myself, I'd go with 'Rock, Rhythm & Blues'. That covers a lot of ground.

Or, I could just say 'Eclectic'. Because I'm 110% in accord with CB on this:

i think that music is one of the truest expressions of us as humanity, and that everyone has something to say, in their manor of expressing themselves. that each of us has an opinion, a voice, and that when we share our humanity, it contributes to society as a whole. we talk from our perspective, just as we write. we are individuals, and every color in that crayola crayon box is important, significant, and unique.

marnold
June 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I can't really label myself as one or the other. I suppose "most" would be 80's rock, although not all 80's rock is created equally (e.g. I love Dokken but despise the likes of Poison and Faster Pussycat). Despite Spud's protestations, I'd have to throw metal in there second and blues third.

ZMAN
June 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Well I guess you could say Blues. Hendrix after all was just a glorified blues player. Most of the great guitarists are at there best when they play the blues, it is just the perfect venue for a guitar, and true feelings. I guess the whole thing started when I found myself soaked to the skin when I play the blues. It just gets my fires burning. It is my life.

sumitomo
June 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM
When I first wanted to play guitar it was because of Jimi,Clapton and Metal groups,it lasted for awhile then when I heard Blues I always have had to have a guitar or two around to play.I like all music but the Blues and its people still have the fire lit.Sumi:S

Childbride
June 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
[snicker] Wings, until i reread that, i didn't catch my typo.

'manner'. sorry. :D

Eclectic. i like that. that about sums me up. :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
June 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM

Jazz lovers
Blues lovers
Acoustic players
80's rock types
Metal Maniacs?
Hendrix fans
Country twangers

What else?

Haha, I ain't in ANY of those groups. You need to add something for the punk/indie/roots/garage types.

Admitedly, I'll probably be the only member of said group.

Brian Krashpad
June 7th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Good topic for an open discussion of player preferences, Robert. Naturally, your list is just a starting point.

I mean...we probably all know and acknowledge Hendrix as seminal.

Historically?

Of course.

Personally, you assume waaay too much. Hendrix is totally irrelevant to me.

sunvalleylaw
June 7th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I am a blender. Who wants a margarita?! ;-) No really, I like all of the above and more, depending on my mood.

sunvalleylaw
June 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Does anyone read the oiginal post? What group do you belong to mostly?

Of the groups listed, none.

Haha, I ain't in ANY of those groups. You need to add something for the punk/indie/roots/garage types.

I am probably closer to that group. But again, I blend!

just strum
June 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM

but are you referring that as one group? Individually I could fall into two possibly three of those categories, but not in an influential way. I like them and wouldn't change the station if I heard them. I'm assuming Clash falls in there somewhere and since I don't think of them of as a punk band, I guess for me they are a cross between punk and garage as I view it, but a darn good one.

Robert
June 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
There are other ways we can group ourselves together. We can perhaps make a distinction between beginners, experienced players and semi-pros/pros. I think we have cdtele and a few others in the latter group. Maybe myself too.

We have quite a few beginners I think?

Anyway, this is all just food for discussion. Make up any group you want. My initial list was just a quick thought, and yes, there should be a punk/indie group for sure. I don't think Brian is alone in that group either.

Rabies
June 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
:D :beer:

Brian Krashpad
June 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
but are you referring that as one group? Individually I could fall into two possibly three of those categories, but not in an influential way. I like them and wouldn't change the station if I heard them. I'm assuming Clash falls in there somewhere and since I don't think of them of as a punk band, I guess for me they are a cross between punk and garage as I view it, but a darn good one.

Clash are a punk rock and roll group, period.

What a lot of history since has tended to minimze or blur is that punk, for all it's forward-speaking rheotric and fashion, was musically a revivalist movement. Punk essentially wanted to recapture the energy and simplicity of 50's and early 60's (i.e., including garage) rock. Check it-- a lot of punk groups were big fans of rockabilly, the Who, etc. Many modern fans of punk classify both many modern garage and many modern rockabilly bands as within the overall punk umbrella.

The idea of bringing rock back to its simple and even sometimes violent roots was so unacceptable to some in the 70's that punk was instead removed entirely from the rock lexicon and ghetto-ized. It was not rock, but something new and separate.

Such is a huge falsehood.

Rabies
June 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
When you think about it, genre 'names' and labels are sort of silly...:whatever:

just strum
June 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Punk essentially wanted to recapture the energy and simplicity of 50's and early 60's (i.e., including garage) rock.

As the desire to recapture through the return to simplicity, I think you captured its definition with the same.

The problem what I see with punk or really how punk is viewed is that it is associated far too often with the Sex Pistols and in John Lydon's eyes, they were the ONLY punk band. Punk was and is so much more, but as it was expanded, the core following felt it was a sell out. I look at it more as better musicians recognizing its importance and taking it to acceptance without wearing safety pins.

Then again, sometimes I don't know what the _____ I'm talking about (said in a punk growl with curled lip, while chewing my beer mug:D )

Brian Krashpad
June 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
When you think about it, genre 'names' and labels are sort of silly...:whatever:

Sort of.

But not entirely.

When we want to communicate about music, unless we have the other person in the same room and can put something in a stereo (or computer, MP3 player, etc.) and say "listen to this," labels are necessary to our understanding and communication of the big picture.

What's tricky is defining our terms.

player
June 7th, 2008, 07:33 PM
What? No Prog? :confused:

Progressive and Blues-ish for me from the Brits mostly. Especially from the early 70's on.

I'm guessing most members are blues appreciators. It's so fundamental and it connects to so many people.
Nope No Prog here.growing up in Chicago my roots are in da Blues.even my first ''almost'' successful band was a Blues band as were many others.tried many things and genres so given the choices I'd have to say Blues here with a side dish of Jazz for flavor. :D

yep even after Woodstock although that event did change a lot of other perceptions musical I had.always will dislike rap,that's a given

Brian Krashpad
June 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM
As the desire to recapture through the return to simplicity, I think you captured its definition with the same.

The problem what I see with punk or really how punk is viewed is that it is associated far too often with the Sex Pistols and in John Lydon's eyes, they were the ONLY punk band. Punk was and is so much more, but as it was expanded, the core following felt it was a sell out. I look at it more as better musicians recognizing its importance and taking it to acceptance without wearing safety pins.

This is an astute observation, and supported by both musicological and historical factors.

First, let me relate a bit of my personal experiences with the punk rock as an observation. This all goes back to my basic premise that punk is an integral part of rock and roll and NOT some separate or fringe music genre.

I got into punk rock when records (some of which had been out for anywhere from 3 or 4 or more years) began to get enough press coverage (remember, no intranets) for me to become aware of them (since mainstream rock radio essentially banned them in the states) in the early 1980's. I still liked 60's rock (especially the first half, not so much the trippy/hippy/jammy or acid stuff) and some mainstream 70's rock that captured some of that (perfect example: hometown heroes Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers). I thought of "punk rock" and "punk rockers" as something totally separate and foreign.

Until, of course, I heard it, and met some punk rock people.

Keep in mind, I was not a "cool" person. At the time, I was in my first band. I did not have a lot of cool clothes (whether by punk or mainstream standards) or a cool (whether by punk or mainstream standards) haircut. Basically I was a nerdy honors-student type kid who was the antithesis of the rocker, even though I liked rock music. From what I read, if I went to a punk rock show I would be shunned as not hip enough. And lots of people would be spitting on each other.

To use a Britishism, it was all a load of bollocks.

The punk rockers I met, including groundbreaking local punk band Roach Motel, one of the handful of early Florida punbk rock bands, welcomed me with open arms. I never got one ounze of shit about not being hip enough. I got invited to crazy house parties. I heard the Roach Motel cover BTO's "Takin' Care of Business." When my band covered Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak" at the the Roach Motel's unofficial HQ, the House of Death, no one booed or even ran for cover. When I went to a "punk rock" birthday party, I might hear a side of Aerosmith alongside the Ramones or 999.

A lot of my misunderstanding of punk rock has or had to do with what I call the "Britishism" of punk rock. I thought punk rock was something from the UK, the Ramones notwithstanding. Like so many others, I had it bass-ackwards. The Ramones predated the UK bands-- many of which had been inspired by the Ramones' July 4, 1976 performance in London at the Roundhouse , where members or future members of the Pistols and Clash were in attendance. Another groundbreaking American band was the NY Dolls, whom the Pistols' manager had purported to "manage" as they fell apart; the subsequent arrival in the UK of Dolls splinter band the Heartbreakers (no relation to Tom Petty) was another ealry influence there.

It's been my experience that UK people tend to see punk as an historical/youth trend movement first, and as a musical genre second. Americans, the other way round. The reasons for this are at least two-fold. First, in the UK punk was much more closely tied to fashion, and fashion is inherently short-lived . The Ramones dressed totally in American iconic clothing: straight-legged jeans, biker jackets, T-shirts, and Converses. No safety pins or trash bags.

Second, in the UK punk was wildly successful in the short-term. Number one on the pop charts (although those same charts refused to put the song title on the chart--instead leaving a blank). In the US, it was virtually impossible to even hear punk on the radio in the 70's. In the UK, punk was another flash-in-the pan like mods or Teds, or New Romantics to come. In the US punk was a commercial failure, and punk rock went back underground, establishing it's network of magazines (fanzines), clubs, even safe houses (crash pads).

warren0728
June 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
a good friend of mine was part of the "punk" movement in nyc playing with the ramones, richard hell and such at cbgb's...they didn't call themselves "punk" that name was given to them by other's. you are correct that they were trying to get back to basic rock and roll....no synthesized music crap as he put it....they kinda thought of themselves as playing "angry blues" and that makes more sense as a "classification" than "punk"....

oh yeah....if i had to pick from the given groups it would haver to be blues....but 60s-70s rock and southern rock should be in t he kist too....but then i guess i wouldn't have been able to pick just one! (of course i like jazz too....and oh nevermind.... :thwap:

ww

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Clash are a punk rock and roll group, period.

What a lot of history since has tended to minimze or blur is that punk, for all it's forward-speaking rheotric and fashion, was musically a revivalist movement. Punk essentially wanted to recapture the energy and simplicity of 50's and early 60's (i.e., including garage) rock. Check it-- a lot of punk groups were big fans of rockabilly, the Who, etc. Many modern fans of punk classify both many modern garage and many modern rockabilly bands as within the overall punk umbrella.

The idea of bringing rock back to its simple and even sometimes violent roots was so unacceptable to some in the 70's that punk was instead removed entirely from the rock lexicon and ghetto-ized. It was not rock, but something new and separate.

Such is a huge falsehood.

I really agree with that. Here is what I posted months ago in the "Who inspired you" thread:

A LOT of folks. I have wanted to play guitar a long time. When I finally really started playing, Neil Young was a big inspiration (surprise, surprise). But others too. Blues lick oriented rock (Stuff coming from Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, early Beatles and Stones and the like) and surf and punk coming from those genres have inspired too. Since I got my strat, a whole bunch of blues players have inspired. I really didn't know that Chuck Berry's stuff really came from Robert Johnson before, for example.

I posted a bunch of wave last week, in a reminiscent retrospective, but my favorites from the era were punkier, like the Clash for example. Now one of their favorites is a cover of "I fought the law", which is a (post Buddy Holly) Crickets song. The lines are pretty easy to draw from that, I think. Since I started playing, I have re-discovered a lot of "classic rock" and I have always liked the blues and jazz. But for much of my adult life, punk, alt, grunge, indie, . . . garage rock basically, has been my listening preference.

Brian Krashpad
June 9th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I posted a bunch of wave last week, in a reminiscent retrospective, but my favorites from the era were punkier, like the Clash for example. Now one of their favorites is a cover of "I fought the law", which is a (post Buddy Holly) Crickets song.

Actually it's a Bobby Fuller Four song. For more on Bobby Fuller's mysterious death, see Black 47's "Who Killed Bobby Fuller?"

street music
June 9th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I'm a rock & roll lover, 60s, 70s, 80s,.
My second choice would take in the blues, since it is a part of R&R.
Third would be country & some Bluegrass.
Fourth would be Metal.

I'm not a alternative rock or rap lover, there isn't much coming out today that I consider music.

sunvalleylaw
June 9th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Actually it's a Bobby Fuller Four song. For more on Bobby Fuller's mysterious death, see Black 47's "Who Killed Bobby Fuller?"

Huh, ok. I got my info off wiki as I was not sure. Here is what I found in Wiki under "I fought the law":

"I Fought the Law" is a much-covered song originally recorded by Sonny Curtis and The Crickets (post Buddy Holly) in 1959. The song was famously covered by Bobby Fuller Four, who recorded a more successful version of the song in 1965, and The Clash, who recorded a punk rock version in 1978.

I like the Dead Kennedys version a lot too. :D :AOK:

So I guess if I were to put myself in a group, it would be close to the one Brian is laying out there, but would have to include not only punk, but alt, indie, grunge, rockabilly (ala stray cats and kingbees) . . . garage rock and it is all descended from Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, and early Beatles and Stones, which came from blues tunes. How's that? :rotflmao: So that group is called "garage rock and roll" or just "rock and roll" maybe? But again, I blend other stuff in there and like a lot more.

Bloozcat
June 9th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I have to seperate this into what I like to listen to, and what I like to play. When it comes to listening, my music tastes cover a pretty broad spectrum.

I like to listen to:

Classic
Jazz
Big Band/Swing
Some country...purely for the talent of some of the guitar players (like Brad Paisley, for instance).
Blues
Rock N' Roll, from the early rockabilly inspired, through alternative (at least that which I like), and everything in between.
Oldies Pop music - hard not to have a soft spot for this when these songs are like the background sound track of your life growing up.
Cajun/ Zydeco...when the mood strikes.
Old Soul Music/Rythm and Blues.
Broadway Musicals (Andrew Lloyd Weber is one of my favorites).
Latin/Salsa type music (and fusion forms of this music).

What I like to play:

Da' Blues (no!, ya' think?)
Classic Rock and Blues inspired Rock of any kind to include everything short of heavy death metal.
Some Jazz
Some Ballad, Folk, Acoustic type music when I'm in an unplugged mood.

kiteman
June 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I'm stuck in the 70s and tasting the 80s.

Loving every bit of it. :)

tot_Ou_tard
June 13th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Like Mr. tOt I am eclectic in my enjoyment of many things so I dig a variety of various compilations of this and that and so on and so forth. Electric Lady Land and Acoustic Lady Land...and all points in between. :) Plus Baroque Classics, Gypsy Jazz and da blues. Even many (old school ahem) artists that twang a Tele guit in their hands or a saucy twang in their vocals.
Tone is right...give me anything good & more of it!

Brian Krashpad
June 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Huh, ok. I got my info off wiki as I was not sure. Here is what I found in Wiki under "I fought the law":

"I Fought the Law" is a much-covered song originally recorded by Sonny Curtis and The Crickets (post Buddy Holly) in 1959. The song was famously covered by Bobby Fuller Four, who recorded a more successful version of the song in 1965, and The Clash, who recorded a punk rock version in 1978.

My bad, I stand corrected, thanks for the info!

King_Dumble_of_Princeton
June 17th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Hey, I'm the new guy, so I figured this would be a great place for my first post. I actually dig everything on the list:

Jazz - I love Diana Krall, Nat King Cole, Gershwin, Dave Brubeck and lots of other jazz cats.
Blues - I currently play for a blues band and we cover stuff from SRV, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Rufus Thomas, B.B., Hendrix, Clapton...blues is my first love.
Acoustic - I really like John Mayer's early stuff and I'm loving the newer blues stuff that he's tapped into.
80's rock - Grew up on it with my dad. Queensryche, Skid Row, Night Ranger, Winger, Toto...God, there's so many.
Metal Maniacs - I like Slipknot alot. Bullet for My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, to name a few.
Hendrix - Anything and everything Hendrix. He was a God among men.
Country Twangers - Brad Paisley, Brent Mason, Vince Gill, Steve Wariner.

So, I look forward to posting more. This is by far one of the best guitar forums I've seen. Thanks guys.

CR

Katastrophe
June 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Welcome, KDP! You've got some great names listed there, and I enjoy listening to every single one of them.

When you get a chance, head over to "The Fret Players" section and post a little intro about yourself. That way you can receive a proper Fret.Net welcome!

Ch0jin
June 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I listen to a fairly wide range of music with my only dislikes being commercial radio pop and "urban R&B".

Rather than offering up a long list, I thought I'd do this instead...

I don't know if anyone is familier with last.fm, but it's a program that sits on your PC and basically uploads info on what you listen to to a website so you and your friends can see what you've been getting into. I've only recently joined, but I think it's great.

So anyway, right now it's only running on my work laptop, but as I have music going all day, it's not a bad snapshot...

http://www.last.fm/user/TehCh0jiN/

And to perhaps further define, this is a cut and paste from my facebook...

Favourite Music:
Music that incites rebellion, sounds that infect the mind, attitude and emotion wrapped in searing guitar infused confrontation. Lyrics with no pretence to shielding the raw passion boiling beneath. Tell me straight or tell me a story, tell me the heart tearing emotional truth or tell me nothing. I want to feel the pain, smell the stale beer and cigarettes. Don’t give me weak beats. Don’t play me radio friendly, and don’t expect to like my music collection.

Bloozcat
June 18th, 2008, 08:38 AM
And to perhaps further define, this is a cut and paste from my facebook...

Favourite Music:
Music that incites rebellion, sounds that infect the mind, attitude and emotion wrapped in searing guitar infused confrontation. Lyrics with no pretence to shielding the raw passion boiling beneath. Tell me straight or tell me a story, tell me the heart tearing emotional truth or tell me nothing. I want to feel the pain, smell the stale beer and cigarettes. Don’t give me weak beats. Don’t play me radio friendly, and don’t expect to like my music collection.

Could you be a little more definitive there, Ch0jin? I get the feeling that you're holding something back. :D

Ah...the more things change, the more they stay the same....:)

jpfeifer
June 18th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I guess I fit into the categories of:

Blues Lover
Jazz Lover
wannabe Country Twanger

I find so many similarities between these 3 genres, they're nearly interchangable. It's like speaking the same language only with different accents. I'm trying to learn how to speak guitar with more of the Country Twanger accent as my most recent endeavor.

Although I really appreciate great metal playing, it doesn't light my spark in the same way as it did when I was younger.

I love Hendrix style playing also. I think that he is one of the true pioneers of guitar playing. He is kind of like Django is for Jazz guitar players He took it to an entirely new level. There's very few musicians in history who do this.

-- Jim

Ch0jin
June 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Although I really appreciate great metal playing, it doesn't light my spark in the same way as it did when I was younger.

Yeah even at 37 I have a lot of unresolved angst ;)

scgmhawk
June 19th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I'll have to go with Blues/Rock n Roll. I love loud, blues influenced rock -- stones, ac/dc, zz top, etc. :rockon:

pes_laul
June 19th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I belong to the alternative and acoustic groups

Monkus
January 5th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I guess I fall into the acoustic group, at 7, I would listen to James Taylor over and over again. It still does it for me today. However after joining this forum and really getting into the blues, it has greatly improved my playing and given me a greater appreciation for the instrument, so I respect that a lot. I'm not yet able to write the next blues anthem, but hey I'm getting there. I also was a teen in the 80's so a lot of that music has sentimental value, Sister Christian, Tears for Fears, U2, Van Halen, but that's where I think it belongs, I don't know if I'll create the next "Sweet Child of mine" but you never know.

Ears open, absorb and twist as much as you can until you know that it resonates with your soul. It doesn't matter if no one else hears it, its mine. On to the next creation...

MichaelE
January 5th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I play '70's and '80's rock with a few newer tunes, but I like listening to a lot of different music.

Smooth jazz is a favorite. Wish I could play some of it. I like listening to Mozart and Schubert on piano. I can play very little of that on piano because I didn't study or practice enough.

Some piano based New Age stuff is good too as long as it's not too spacey or 'out there'.

Eric
January 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Does anyone read the oiginal post?
Does anyone ever do that?

Eric
January 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I don't know if anyone is familier with last.fm, but it's a program that sits on your PC and basically uploads info on what you listen to to a website so you and your friends can see what you've been getting into. I've only recently joined, but I think it's great.

http://www.last.fm/user/TehCh0jiN/
Heck yes. (http://www.last.fm/user/eds6654)

I find it interesting that my entire top 8 and 10 of my top 12 are all from the UK.

Eric
January 5th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Jazz lovers
Blues lovers
Acoustic players
80's rock types
Metal Maniacs?
Hendrix fans
Country twangers

Which is the largest group? I will guess blues guys/gals. Seems most guitar players love the blues, but there are of course exceptions. For example, I have noticed that a lot of metal players do NOT like blues. Not sure why? As a comparison - many jazz players like blues, and vice versa.

Could this be made into a poll?

Personally, my closest category is probably "80's rock types." From what I know of the members here, I'd guess blues as the preferred style.

Retro Hound
January 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM
While I listen to just about everything, my favorite is late 70s through the 80s post-punk and alternative.

As to what I want to play (I'm still too new to really do much), it's probably surf guitar. Or blues. Or folk/acoustic. Or classic rock. Or rockabilly. Or Southern rock, which probably fits under classic rock so shouldn't be mentioned. Anyway, I think I'll stop.

Robert
January 5th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Poll added. Should I add some other options?

sunvalleylaw
January 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I put "other" as I described in my post above. I guess of the groups listed, "Alternative" is the closest group to listening preference. But that is not quite accurate as discussed above. I don't think more categories will make a difference to my answer.

Eric
January 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Poll added. Should I add some other options?
70's rock is outpacing blues here? Never woulda thunk it.

I think my real answer to this question would be rock/prog rock/indie rock/alternative/punk pop/alt country/90's/neo psych/britpop, and the best fit for that is probably 70's. I should probably interpret votes for 70's rock as a vote for basic rock.

guitartango
January 5th, 2010, 02:32 PM

I find it interesting that my entire top 8 and 10 of my top 12 are all from the UK.

That's because we are still leaders in Music (lol) except for the X-Factor, dancing on Ice, Brittain gots Talent.

Eric
January 5th, 2010, 02:45 PM
That's because we are still leaders in Music
No arguments here. I don't specifically try to listen to music from across the Atlantic -- it just sort of pans out that way.

sumitomo
January 5th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Not Me I'm A Master! Sumi:D :french :crazyguy

Eric
January 5th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Not Me I'm A Master! Sumi:D
Seems that way, but it's also really hard to judge. I think there are more than a few here whose skill levels may be misrepresented in either direction (i.e. better than advertised or thinks a bit too highly of oneself).

That's the sort of thing that is really tough to judge on a forum, though I wonder how much skill level actually matters on an online forum. Knowledge is probably the more relevant commodity.

Spudman
January 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm into Progressive/ Art Rock and Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal.

guitartango
January 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM
No arguments here. I don't specifically try to listen to music from across the Atlantic -- it just sort of pans out that way.

Yep we have stolen from the best (Elvis, Holly,Kings) then invaded your charts for the past 40 years (Beatles,Clapton,Stones).

Robert
January 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I'm into Regressive Jazz with Blues and Rock influences. I just made up that term.

sumitomo
January 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Seems that way, but it's also really hard to judge. I think there are more than a few here whose skill levels may be misrepresented in either direction (i.e. better than advertised or thinks a bit too highly of oneself).

That's the sort of thing that is really tough to judge on a forum, though I wonder how much skill level actually matters on an online forum. Knowledge is probably the more relevant commodity.

Now how did that end up here,I thought we were talking about jobs.Well I'm still baiting hooks.Sumi:D

Robert
January 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Now how did that end up here,I thought we were talking about jobs.Well I'm still baiting hooks.Sumi:D

Eric, Sumi is a well known Master at this Baiting job he has... :what

Spudman
January 5th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Eric, Sumi is a well known Master at this Baiting job he has... :what

Hmmm. Master? Baiter? Hmmm. :pancake

guitarhack
January 5th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I'm all over the map on this one, from the country music and big band jazz to which my parents listened to the '60s and '70s rock, blues, jazz and acoustic, there's a lot to love.

Robert
January 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Hmmm. Master? Baiter? Hmmm. :pancake

Let's just say he is self-employed, okay? (Sumi, how's your eye sight?)

:nono:

hubberjub
January 5th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I listen to pretty much everything. I play a lot of improvisationally friendly music such as rock, jazz/funk, and bluegrass. After all these years I can finally say it: My name is Patrick, and I'm a Deadhead.

Tibernius
January 5th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Two main styles for me: Metal (particularly Symphonic Metal, Gothic Metal and Progressive Metal) and Ska.

Eric
January 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Apparently I missed the boat on that one.

street music
January 5th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I'm really a 60s , 70s, rock & roller at heart but , also enjoy country , blues and bluegrass. Do not like something called rap and that other stuff called alternative.

sumitomo
January 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Apparently I missed the boat on that one.

There's always junior's needed,I've been doing this for fourty years and well I need a braile keyboard.It's an OK job it has it's up and downs.Sumi:D:dude

Eric
January 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM
There's always junior's needed,I've been doing this for fourty years and well I need a braile keyboard.It's an OK job it has it's up and downs.Sumi:D:dude
The joke, Sumi! I missed the boat on the joke.

Happy birthday, by the way.

sumitomo
January 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I know I know I'm just teasing and thanks.Sumi:DD

Jipes
January 6th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I play in three different settings:

Mojo (http://www.mojo.fr) a blues trio where I sing and play rythmn & lead guitar

Soulmaniacs (http://www.soulmaniacs.com) a rythmn' Blues cover band with a great horn section, I play rythmn & lead guitar and sing a third of the repertoire and do backing vocals

Jipes Blues project (http://myspace.com/jipesproject) where I perform solo or in duet with either a sax player or a blues harp player. I play acoustic guitar, resonators and electric. I play my compositions as well as blues standards from Jimmy Reed to Alvin Youngblood Hart or Keb'Mo

MAXIFUNK
January 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Soul
R&B
Funk
Late 60's & 70's HARD ROCK
JAZZ
REGGAE old school Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Steel Plus, Black Uhru, & Jimmy cliff
Classical Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, & Chopin.

I listen to every thing but country western although I know for sure some of those cats play a mean fiddle and guitar. Having done some work for Alabama, Hank Williams JR, & Garth Brooks!

steevc
January 7th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I'll listen to just about any music genre and can probably find something interesting in most of them. My general listening covers a wide range. I'm not sure what genre some of it would fall into. As far as playing the guitar goes I've done classical, blues, rock and some acoustic. I'm currently doing a lot of the latter and have started attending a pub jam session that covers folk, blues and other acoustic music with a variety of instruments.

I just love music in all its forms.

Gil Janus
January 10th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I listen to just about everything but opera (The Magic Flute excepted - it has a place in the heart - but that's story that will go untold right now).

My favs are Blues, '50s Rock, '60s Rock, Country, Alternative, and Other.

What fits in Other, well that would be two kinds - folk, and Grateful Dead music. :thwap :eek: :AOK

Gil :cool:

Ch0jin
January 10th, 2010, 11:49 PM

Only if you exclude me :) I'm am unashamedly a member of that group I'd say.

Oh and I'm also happy to admit that I -AM- a fan of old school gangsta rap (Ice's T and Cube mostly), all kinds of hip-hop, with a soft spot for the Beasties first album and Aussie acts like the Herd and Hilltop Hoods and their ilk. I also really like a lot of Wu Tang Clan's earlier recordings. Dig through the "gansta" imagery and listen to the beats and samples and you'll find they have a groove that no other rap artists have been able to copy. I'm betting mostly RZA's influence as I've also really dug a few soundtracks he did (Ghost Dog in particular)

Also worth checking out...
- Jurassic 5 (awesome actually)
- Everlast (Whitey Ford, you know, the guy from House of Pain)

If you only listen to one Rap album though, get a hold of Public Enemy "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back" from 1988. This album was incredibly relevant to the evolution of not only Rap and Hip-Hop, but also many forms of electronic music and DJ'ing. It's been sampled so many times it's crazy. It's also an album with a social conscience. It's anti-drug, anti-racism, anti-sexist and more. Plus, it's got "Bring The Noise" on it!!

Oh and lets not forget the relatively groundbreaking combination of rap and rock with RunDMC and Aerosmith and of course, my boys, Public Enemy with Anthrax doing "Bring The Noise" with those chugging metal guitars in the background.

If you're feeling the rap/rock combo I highly recommend the awesome (first of its kind maybe?) soundtrack to "Judgement Night". They somehow paired up bands like Slayer with Ice T, Helmet with House of Pain, Pearl Jam with Cyprus Hill and more. It's hard, heavy, angry stuff (with the exception of the Sonic Youth/Cyprus Hill track "I Love You Mary Jane") but I think everyone should listen to it at some point. Drummers, check out the Slayer and Ice T jam "Disorder" and tell me you didn't find yourself air-drumming like a madman by the end. I'm not even a drummer and that song makes me wanna hit stuff....

Anyway....enough.... I fear TL:DNR :)

Ch0jin
January 11th, 2010, 12:43 AM

..from last.fm

"Your musical compatibility with eds6654 is HIGH"

Well I guess we should be in the same group haha.

One tip though... Try and remember to turn scrobbling off when using jam tracks. I laughed when I checked my top ten a while ago and found things like "blues BT in G" and "Metal in E" on my list ;)

Eric
January 11th, 2010, 11:31 AM
One tip though... Try and remember to turn scrobbling off when using jam tracks. I laughed when I checked my top ten a while ago and found things like "blues BT in G" and "Metal in E" on my list ;)
Yup. I get the same thing with some of my recorded tracks, so I usually opt to play that stuff in something without last.fm support, such as this (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/).

sunvalleylaw
January 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Only if you exclude me :) I'm am unashamedly a member of that group I'd say.

:)

I am in Brian's group too (punk/indie/roots/garage), pretty much, based on my above posts. I have to admit that though I have tried a bit, I have never been able to get into much rap/hip hop, etc. Not too much metal either.