PDA

View Full Version : Action VS Intonation

Tim
May 4th, 2006, 05:11 AM
I have been having an awful time trying to get my “G” string intonation just right. I must have adjusted it 20 or mores times. The other 5 strings are dead on.

I was having a major problem with playing open chords. I would tune the “G” string to be in tune. When I strummed the open “C” chord, it would sound as it should. When I strummed the open “D” chord, the “G” string would be too high causing a terrible sounding chord..

So now I would purposely tune down the “G” string to be slightly flat. When strumming the open “D” chord it would sound as it should. But when strumming the open “C” chord, well you know the out come.

As mention above, I worked the “G” string intonation many times without success. A couple days ago was checking out my action. It was set a little higher than normal (between 6/64ths and 7/64ths). I am an aggressive player and low action gives me string buzz.

So I decided to lower the action to 5/64ths. I went back to check all 6 string’s intonation. I was very shocked to find the “G” string with correct intonation.

My question is, has anybody have experienced with high action causing intonation problems?

I have also discovered that lowering the action improved the overall tone coming from the HB pups. The tone is cleaner than before when the action was slightly higher.

tot_Ou_tard
May 4th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Tim, was your G-string sharp or flat at the twelve fret ? Did you run out of adjustment at the saddle?

I've found that changing the action certainly changes the intonation given that one leaves the saddle adjustment fixed.

SuperSwede
May 4th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Tim, maybe your guitar was originally intonated in that action? Whenever you raise/lower the action you need to intonate. I have a strob tuner so I usually intonate when I change strings. I always check the 12th & the 5th fret. For example if you intonate the high E string, you want to get as close as possible to E, but the 5th fret (A) can be a little flat.

marnold
May 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I had a problem with my Fender where the G string would be fine open and also from the sixth fret up, but on the first five frets it would not be intonated properly. The problem was that my nut was cut incorrectly. Once the slot was lowered, the intonation problems went away.

Tim
May 4th, 2006, 10:05 AM
.... I have a strob tuner so I usually intonate when I change strings. I always check the 12th & the 5th fret. For example if you intonate the high E string, you want to get as close as possible to E, but the 5th fret (A) can be a little flat.

Maybe I need to invest in a strob tuner. I find them interesting to use.

tremoloman
May 4th, 2006, 10:12 AM
What kind of guitar are you trying to configure? Does it have a floating bridge?

Be sure to make very subtle adjustments when adjusting the length of the string. I used to get fustrated becuase I didn't realize the most subtle adjustments made such a difference.

Anytime you adjust saddle height you more often than not will need to readjust your intonation as well.

Tim
May 4th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Be sure to make very subtle adjustments when adjusting the length of the string. I used to get fustrated becuase I didn't realize the most subtle adjustments made such a difference.

Anytime you adjust saddle height you more often than not will need to readjust your intonation as well.

Thanks Tremolo,

Welcome back to the Fret Net. Well missed you. Now we need to find Justaguy.

The guitar is a Custom Tele. The strings come through the body. I found out the hard way to make very subtle adjustments. I was turning the screw drive one complete turn. After much time of frustration I discovered I was passing right through the proper place for the setting that was needed. Now I only do 1/8 to ¼ turns of the adjusting screw.

Tone2TheBone
May 5th, 2006, 08:29 AM
You'll never quite get the G string perfectly intonated up and down the neck. It's inherent in the way a guitar is designed and also because most electric sets of strings don't come with a wound G string as with acoustic sets. Buzz Feiten, Earvana and others have devised compensated nuts to deal with this issue. PRS guitars also incorporate this idea into their guitars. You can also tune your guitar via equal temperament tuning to help. It's still not perfect but it is a little better. It's the nature of the beast.

tot_Ou_tard
April 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I brought this thread back to life to ask about fretter's experience with wound G-strings.

I'm thinking about giving it a try, but am concerned that it might widen the groove in the nut.

Bloozcat
April 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah, welcome back tremoloman!

And while we're on the subject, what ever happened to Nelskie?

Tim
April 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah, welcome back tremoloman!

And while we're on the subject, what ever happened to Nelskie?

Good question Bloozcat. Nelskie is know to sit back behind the stage curtains and watch us Fretters. When he speaks, he usually something good to share. March 31, 2008 was his last post.