PDA

View Full Version : TB-12 Screamin' Demon in Transit

marnold
June 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Our long (inter)national nightmare is almost over. A relatively local guitar shop offered to order the trembucker version of a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh12_george_lyn/) for me for $88 which is $6 less than I could find it anywhere online. When it comes in I'm going to replace the switch because the bridge-middle position won't work (I only get middle unless I jiggle the switch and pray) and add a 500K push-pull pot for a "neck-on" switch. I'm also going to go with a black knob and switch tip.

So soon I will be able to sound just like George Lynch . . . if he suffered a major head injury.

M29
June 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Oh man I love (In Transit) posts:dude: Sounds like a great deal and a great choice.

M29

SuperSwede
June 8th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Luckily it doesnt say "Screaming Demon" on the pickup cover.. would look bad in church, eh Marnold? ;)

Looking forward to some clips :)

bigoldron
June 10th, 2008, 06:54 AM
No worse than playing a Schecter C1 "Hellraiser", which I had a kid show up a time or two with one. He broke up with the girl in my group that he was dating, which may be a blessing as I was going to use black electrical tape to cover up the "Hellraiser" part.

I'm Southern Baptist in a small town in South Georgia. I don't let things like that bother me, but the blue hairs in my church would be LIVID!

SuperSwede
June 10th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Its strange really that all things hard rock have to be associated with that evil dude when all it does is sound like heaven.

bigoldron
June 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Its strange really that all things hard rock have to be associated with that evil dude when all it does is sound like heaven.

Amen to that. We had a former member who's working as Minister of Music in a church about 250 miles away bring his youth praise band down last weekend and they played some interesting stuff. A couple of songs were rock songs that they had "saved" by using them focused on God and adding a few standard choruses as descants, such as "Heroes" (???) by the Foo Fighters.

The really cool thing they did was take old standard hymns and sing them to known secular music. For example, they took Amazing Grace and sung it to Sweet Home Alabama. They also took Blessed Assurance and sang it to Margaritaville. There were some others as well, such as Just As I Am sang to the Commodore's song Easy. They were using this to reach youth with a modern "hip" sound, but teaching the Word as delivered through the old hymns.

Their point was that all music is really a gift from God, it's just that man chooses to make it evil/wicked. I agree with them. Only man can screw up something as easily as we do. Marnold, what's your take on this?

marnold
June 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Well, at the risk of derailing my own thread further . . .

The reason I got the Screamin' Demon was obviously not for any demonic references. It was because of George Lynch first of all and also because it is bright and medium output, which is what I was looking for.

Having said that, I've always been cautious about avoiding anything with Satanic or occult references for the obvious reasons. Sometimes those things are just to sell albums (see Crue, Motley) or are for real (see every Norwegian Death Metal band ever). Obviously since I am a pastor I have to be very careful about perception too.

WRT music, obviously there is some music which without any lyrics at all makes you feel happy, sad, angry, etc. I've heard Christian metal with Cookie Monster vocals. I guess I don't find that to be terribly uplifting, but I've never been a big CCM fan in general. That's a personal opinion far more than it is a theological statement. Curiously my personal music tastes tend to be out-there but my religious music tastes tend to be very conservative. Go figure.

Martin Luther was always a big proponent of music as a gift of God and I agree. For me, playing metal is cathartic. I get a release that I don't get anywhere else. I've always gotten a charge out of people who got uptight about metal, but would snap their fingers to "Only the Good Die Young" by Billy Joel.

Pardon if this is a bit rambly, I think I'm still dealing with some soldering fumes.

FWIW, you can also sing "Amazing Grace" to the theme for "Gilligan's Island."

sunvalleylaw
June 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Funny, I just thought about that Joel song today. Having been raised R.Catholic, in parochial schools when the song came out, it was certainly one we Catholic school kids were aware of. Never a favorite of mine. I am glad to know of Martin Luther's position on music. I feel the same way.

bigoldron
June 12th, 2008, 09:37 AM
FWIW, you can also sing "Amazing Grace" to the theme for "Gilligan's Island."

I haven't tried it, but also heard that it can be sung to "Stairway to Heaven". "Amazing Grace" is a unique song in that it's lyrics will fit many different melodies. I've even considered trying to get the kids to sing it to Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" - I think it'll fit that too!

Sometimes I think I've too much time on my hands, but hey, it's just the ramblings of an aging psychotic. :messedup:

marnold
June 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I just got a call from the music shoppe--my Screamin' Demon is IN! Serendipitously, my wife is in Green Bay doing our monthly grocery shopping. Tonight I'll get her all soldered up and post my impressions.

SuperSwede
June 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Serendipitously, my wife is in Green Bay doing our monthly grocery shopping. Tonight I'll get her all soldered up and post my impressions.

Your wife?? :D

Ah.. the Screaming Demon.. good luck and keep us informed on how it goes!

marnold
June 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Your wife?? :D

Ah.. the Screaming Demon.. good luck and keep us informed on how it goes!
Ahh, me and pronouns :)

Anyway, Here's the info with clips and everything (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=84161)