PDA

View Full Version : Problem?

Squireman131
June 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Well i have no idea whether this i s a problem or is naturaly just there. On my squire affinity series strat mt 11th and 12th fret on the high e string plays the same note? i have had to put this fret back in once because the person i bought it from didnt take care of it and it feel out. I dont know if i did it or not because i had looked up multiple tutorials on ding it and because im poor i didnt take it to a qualified luthier.

Rabies
June 7th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Well i have no idea whether this i s a problem or is naturaly just there. On my squire affinity series strat mt 11th and 12th fret on the high e string plays the same note? i have had to put this fret back in once because the person i bought it from didnt take care of it and it feel out. I dont know if i did it or not because i had looked up multiple tutorials on ding it and because im poor i didnt take it to a qualified luthier.

That is definately a problem. :AOK:

Sounds like your 12th fret is buggin'.

The Boss
June 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Don't you mean 11th fret?

Rabies
June 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Don't you mean 11th fret?

No

Bloozcat
June 9th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Rabies is correct. If you were to fret the high E between the 10th and 11th fret and the 12th was high, the string could fret out on the 12th fret. Likewise, when the high E is fretted between the 11th fret and the 12th, the string would fret out on the 12th fret, producing the same note.

That would be one high 12th fret! Normally, you just get a buzzing or a dead note as the string contacts a slightly high 12th fret. This one seems to be way high. Makes me wonder who it was that was sleeping on the job in QC at that Squire factory the day this guitar passed through...:confused:

Use a short straight edge that'll span accross the 11th, 12th, and 13th frets, Squireman. If the 12th fret is as high as I suspect, that straight edge ought to rock on that 12th fret like grandma's rocking chair!

The obvious solution should this prove to be the case, is to level the 12th fret until it is the same height as the 11th and 13th frets. Then you'll have to crown the fret after leveling, and then polish it with very light (1000gr and up) wet/dry sand paper (dry), and/or #000/#0000 steel wool, and metal polish (if desired) until the fret is smooth and ready to play.

If you lack the tools and experience to do this Squireman, find a good tech who can do it for you.

The Boss
June 10th, 2008, 03:18 AM
My mistake...D'oh!

Squireman131
June 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
thanks for the advice and i am just gonna get a tech to do it. or just buy a new neck off ebay.