PDA

View Full Version : Brian, you got me a remembering those early days

just strum
June 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I started to post this in response to Brian's little insight into punk and he struck a chord (pun intended) when he mentioned the New York Dolls. So I figure I'll post it here instead.

Here is how the post would have looked had it followed Brian's post.

Damn Brian, the NY Dolls, that's a group I haven't heard mentioned in a long time. I liked them and David Johanson's material when he first went solo.

I was fortunate from the standpoint of music on the radio. Back then Cleveland truly was cutting edge when it came to playing bands that you wouldn't hear in other parts of the country. If there was ever a time Cleveland could honestly make a run at calling itself the Rock-n-Roll capital of the world, that was the time period.

That's a good little background of punk you wrote above:AOK:

Now ladies and gentleman please give a big round of applause for the New York Dolls

Ct9aBySJkRQ

And Hubert Sumlin & David Johansen - Smokestack Lightning

93xOeEr-USU&feature=related

David knows music history that might not be so apparent as front man for the New York Dolls or much later as Buster Poindexter (Hot, Hot, Hot fame).

marnold
June 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM
It's really hard for any human being to really give justice to a Howlin' Wolf tune, but Johansen gets about as close as one could hope. For example, I had heard Cream's cover of "Spoonful" but then I heard Wolf's version and was blown away. He's got the voice of a man who has been there and done that.

just strum
June 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
It's really hard for any human being to really give justice to a Howlin' Wolf tune, but Johansen gets about as close as one could hope. For example, I had heard Cream's cover of "Spoonful" but then I heard Wolf's version and was blown away. He's got the voice of a man who has been there and done that.

Well, for those that don't know - let's give em a taste.

_LNt5J0Cesc