PDA

View Full Version : Noise Gate

robert43
June 7th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Hi all my son that plays guitar has some cheaper guitar stomp pedals ie Crossfire chrous , Danelectro echo , overdrive, & a Arion distortion + a no name ( go s/hand ) Wah pedal.
When all of these are pluged in there is a slight hiss & by what I understand this happens to most stomp boxes.
My question is will a noise gate solve the problem or only some.
At the moment I have made a by pass switch . Bascically a foot switch with 4 plugs to to pedals in & out , the other 2 are guitar & amp.
I have leds on it so you know when its on the pedals & when you by pass it.
Should I leave it like this or get a noise gate? Thanks :dude:
PS you dont noitice the noise when he is playing on when the guitar not used ie not played & its not the guitar as we have 3 & all of them do it

wingsdad
June 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
A Noise Gate may help somewhat, but they can be tricky and 'kill' some signal. Since you say the hiss is noticeable only when not playing, you might consider a simpler 'A/B' bypass switch - a/k/a a 'Loop Selector' - that kills the entire chain when not playing, or activates it when playing. From there, each pedal has its own on/off switch, or should.

Another thing to consider is that hiss and signal loss will increase as batteries start dying. You may want to look into a power converter that will feed all the pedals to run on AC instead.

robert43
June 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hi thanks for that I have made up a a/b looper & they are run on a power pack no battries ( too many eat them too quick & too fiddley to change ).
From what I understand this is typical of cheap pedals any way

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I have a Boss NS-1 Noise Suppressor that I swear by. Several other Fretters have 'em and like 'em, too. Very effective in removing hum, hiss and other spurious background noise, but little if any negative impact on your "real" signal, at least to my ear. :AOK:

SuperSwede
June 10th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I have a Boss NS-1 Noise Suppressor that I swear by. Several other Fretters have 'em and like 'em, too. Very effective in removing hum, hiss and other spurious background noise, but little if any negative impact on your "real" signal, at least to my ear. :AOK:

Being married you develop a natural noise suppressor that is very effective.

But if I would need one for my guitar I would definately buy the NS-1 or a Rocktron HUSH.

robert43
June 10th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Hi all I have just scored a s/hand Boss NS will have it by the end of next week

robert43
June 10th, 2008, 04:19 AM
[QUOTE=SuperSwede]Being married you develop a natural noise suppressor that is very effective.

VERY TRUE what did you say love, dont spend any more money on guitars / basss ok more beer.
A couple of years ago I found out the best way to keep her happy about buying stuff on ebay etc . buy here some thing . I went from dog house to penthouse :bravo: